Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2021, 10:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Golden , Colorado
Rivet Clearcoat peeling on 2015 - Clear Acrylic Spray?

On my 2015 Sport 16RB Iím getting some premature clear coat failure. A bubble appeared nearly overnight then in a few days expanded. I thought Iíd be dealing with this a decade from now, but not today! I walbernize every 6 months.

A few quick questions:
  1. Any reason not to put some painter's tape over it for a week while I figure out next steps?
  2. What are my best next steps? Perhaps I buy the ďClear Acrylic SprayĒ from Out-of-Doors Mart and give that a go as a short-term (6m) solution to reduce the spread? Then do I go for a panel replacement?
    • 2a) Before applying ďClear Acrylic SprayĒ should I try to prep the area with Scotch-Brite?

Thank you so much in advance!

The photos are - a weeks before with no visible issues, then right after the bubble appeared, then a few days later. Iíll also include a more recent action photo to improve our spirits. This is from Muley Point overlooking Monument Vally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	394737   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	394738  

Name:	2weeksbefore.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	394739   Click image for larger version

Name:	MonumentValley.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	394740  

mattmmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Call the factory and ask

OR join WBCCI / WABC and get member numbers (about 8 to 10 inches high) go to a sign shop and have those red numbers ousted on silver or white vinyl and stick the whole thing on the sfront panel covering all of the failed clearcoat. Remove the loose clearcoat first. A plastic putty knife would work well. Lemonade from , eh?
Old 05-05-2021, 07:28 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Golden , Colorado
Never thought to call the factory. I'll give that a go.

I do like your creative solution with the WBCCI numbers. Perhaps I clean it, apply the clear coat spray, then get a custom backing for the numbers like you mentioned. I like the idea of white, so it doesn't look like I'm trying to match the silver perfectly. I'll ponder how I can make it even more unique! I'm a little inspired by Wally's red caravan decal.

Youtube videos show using 2000 grit paper to sand down the edge before spraying on a new clear coat, but from a small test, I'm nervous I'll be dulling the bare aluminum too much. Might use the putty knife as you say, and deal with the rough edge instead of a dull finish.

Thanks for the reply, Foiled Again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4676.jpg
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	394964   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0280.JPG
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	394965  

Old 09-17-2021, 06:48 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Golden , Colorado
Checking in to report success! I ended up doing the repair myself, and it went way better than I imagined.

I did a test segment with a tiny spot and used high grit sandpaper to clean the spot and remove the edges on the clear coat. That did not go well as the sandpaper removed the shine, as you may have guessed from the aluminum.

For the big patch: I used a putty knife to peel back the loose edges. Then cleaned everything with soap and water, letting it dry. I then masked off the area and sprayed it with the Clear Acrylic Spray.

After a few coats, I removed the mask and realized it had a texture around the edge where I didn't put as many coats on.

I then used Meguiare's 3-in-1 wax kit to polish out the slight paint texture.

Now you can't even tell anything happened! Hooray!

The spray: https://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?...G1mvXKKvcjTKXg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2897.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	496.2 KB
ID:	404258  
Old 09-17-2021, 07:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Great news glad it worked out.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:10 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Las Vegas , Nevada
When I purchased my AS SS new in August of 2003 the clear was peeling from a panel above the rear window. I never bothered with it. Today 18 years later, the area has expanded by about 8 inches. I use a washcloth to remove the loose edges, and "let 'em live." "I don't want to spoil the party... I know it goes against the grain" (Mick Jagger.."Sweet Thing"), but the surrounding areas of the panel will continue to peel at varying rates of speed. So when, not if the peeling "resurfaces" again in the future, clean it with a wash cloth, not sandpaper or an abrasive, and live with it (there are worse things in life) or have the entire panel professionally cleared.... Just some reflections, and advice from someone who has been there, and hasn't done that....
Hannibal01 is offline   Reply With Quote