Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Reedsburg , Wisconsin
clear coat remove & polish? confused

I just got a 70" Land Yacht.I havent seen the top of it yet. But I am wondering how to tell if any clear coating is left? If there is some clear coat left do I remove it than polish? Or just polish it and add a clear coat?
Right now its dull & I would like to get a bliinding mirror shine.

Thanks for any advise
tempest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We used zip strip paste type remover to get the polish off...there's going to be more at the bottom than at the top. The clear coat needs to be wiped off first if you are going to approach this in an organized manner. So spend one or two days just focusing on the clear coat removal. There should not be any clear coat left on the top. We have the same year trailers. The others are going to tell you other brands that they use to strip the clear off. Zip Strip semi paste worked fine for me. A bucket with warm water and some dish soap will help get it right off---you will see it 'Lift Up' right away when you put the remover on. Then you can start polishing (prepare your muscles)!! Your trailer is made out of what is called 'Alclad Aluminum' (A much thicker application of the alloy that even the newer Airstreams they make now) There will be several posts made to direct you in all of this. Do not ry to do it all at once or you may Knock yourself out! ha ha! ---But DO enjoy and have fun. Bill PS you have longer ways to go than you think ...Another airstreamer on here (Melody Ranch) may chime in with expert advice too.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Remove or cover marker lenses or anything you don't want stripped.I used Citristrip and it took two passes.Aircraft Remover worked well with one application.Used Zip on small parts and it worked great too.
Key is temperature(not too cold)70- 95 deg. I brushed on let sit for 5- 20 min.Put a heavy application.Used a nylon brush to break up then hosed off with a pressure handle on the hose.I use the brush to minimize scratches.
The top had so much sun there was no cc on it.I finished by going over the whole thing with dishwasher soap and water.
Took 3 days.Get an RV brush on a pole to clean and don't fall off the ladder!
Polishing is another project all together check the threads on polishing.
Find anything posted by Levon.This guy has polished 12 trailers!He uses the bar method and finishes with Nuvite and cyclo.
Just to put things in perspective I have been polishing 28 feet a few days a week for the last couple of months.I have lost 25lbs. and have buff arms!
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Thats right- it's a great workout but even i have to do certain sections at a time, because it will just flat wear you out! I also use 3M super heavy rubbing compound at first...this product REALLY cuts to the chase and get's the surface lightly scuffed down to where you can begin to polish up. It's a large bountiful quantity for a liquid cream quart about 14.00. You can't beat that to help you get started polishing. Here you go this is yours truley with a polishing slide show....! Oddly enough youtube has been messing with the soundtracks..sorry if it is all scrambled audio at first.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Reedsburg , Wisconsin
thanks all. I am wondering once you get it to a mirror shine how often do you have to do this?
tempest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
most touch up with cyclo once a year or more often.If it is in a barn or garaged it will still oxidize only slower away from the elements.If you live near the ocean uncovered you would be washing and waxing each week IMO.
There are some on the forums that go much longer.Just depends on where you are.
You WILL be polishing from now on however or the coach will revert eventually to where it was.You wanted to stay in shape didn't you?
Old 07-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
PS many don't polish the top,which is not usually seen from ground level.After much thought I am planning on painting the top with white roof sealer.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Try to polish on overcast days. Kerosene is the key ingredient in 3M Compound... also use it to wipe up oxidation.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
Great info people, thanks.....
howco is offline   Reply With Quote