Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Susanville , California
Unhappy Clear Coat Removal? Exasperated!

Hi, I'm getting ready to start buffing my 75 AS Tradewind. I bought the Dorado peroxide paint remover suggested on a couple of threads herein, to remove the clear coat. I taped everything up over a couple of days and rolled and brushed the remover on yesterday. I let it set for 3 hours or more and power washed it off. Hardly any results on the lower panels and door but the roof and upper panels came out fine, but they didn't really have much coat on them. Did it again just now and let it set for 5+ hours and nothing changed. Are the lower panels just that much bluer then the rest of the panels or did they put something on this trailer that resists clear coat removal. Ive talked to the OO and he didn't mention anything when we talked about it. Thanks for any help.
bearhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
if the clearcoat peeled off the top (happens in older units) then the top was lightened by the sun and other corrosives - the parts that were still fully clearcoated would be darker.

You may have all of the clearcoat off. Take a tiny dab of polish and try to polish a bit that you think still has clearcoat on it. If you get black stuff on your rag, you ARE down to the bare aluminum.

Paula
Old 08-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
We just got done stripping and polishing. The peroxide stripper worked great for us. We have a 67 globe trotter. There were spots that resembled clear coat but it was oxidation. Do the Test that Foiled Again suggested. It really works. I feel your pain....it is frustrating!