Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2003, 06:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Clear coat/ plasticoat

I was looking at a '69 A/S and the finish looked real milkie. Was there a coating on the aluminum at this time?
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 07:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Clear coat/ plasticoat

Greetings Till!

Yes, the '69 Airstreams would have been factory Plasticoated; and when the Plasticoat fails it will take on a "milky" appearance. The plus is that the aluminum has been protected from the elements, but before the trailer can be polished it will need to have the Plasticoat stripped. I recently had my '64 Overlander professionally stripped, polished, and re-Plasticoated. Generally, the price for this service runs in the range of $150 to $175 per linear foot. True Plasticoating is only done by a select few refinishers nation-wide as it is a very particular process - - the Ruth's of P & S Trailer Service handled the details on my Overlander.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:10 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Re: Clear coat/ plasticoat

Quote:
Originally posted by overlander64
professionally stripped, polished, and re-Plasticoated. Generally, the price for this service runs in the range of $150 to $175 per linear foot.
Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
Kevin,
Couldn't find your unit while I was at Ace Fogdall's 'course it may have been in a heated bay somewhere When they quote services like the stripping and re-Plasticoating by the foot are they talking overall length including the A frame or just the body length? Also where is Ruth's?

Thanks

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:41 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Clear coat/ plasticoat

Greetings Aaron!

The Ruth's as do most of the other professional refinishers base the charge on the length measured from the tip of the tongue to the tip of the rear bumper. My Coach needed some particular attention to a poor attempt by a previous owner at home-polishing the large curbside panel so my cost was at the upper limits of the range - - and it also included polishing the new Worthington Aluminum propane tanks (I don't know whether they would polish the tanks after they have been filled as I didn't ask).

You probably saw my coach while you were at Ace Fogdall - - it was the '78 Minuet 6.0 Metre - - it has been on the rear line beside the side service bay - - it may have been inside as Steve advised me that the axle was just recently replaced - - I will be picking the coach up one week from today if all goes well.

The Ruth's have a web site that answeres many questions about their business. It can be found at:

P and S Trailer Service, Helena, Ohio

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
helen ohio 75 miles north of jackson center on I-75. the ruths will do a great job for you. they did my motor home and it getts lots of compliments . they did a great job. not cheap but worth it.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote