Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2021, 01:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Springbrook , Wisconsin
Clear Coat Peeling

Noticed this morning that the clear coat on the front upper driver side of our 2018 FC had started to peel (am trying to attach a photo, will see if it uploads). So I have a couple questions. Is this normal? Is there any damage to the trailer's skin that can occur and if so what are my options to prevent that?

I guess I've never seen clear coast peel or "flake" off like this on a vehicle before. And, assuming it is reasonably normal, what's the options going forward? Should the clear coat be redone, can it be touched up or does it need to be one of those things where the whole trailer would need to be recoated?

If it doesn't need to be then what - I assume it will just continue to peel off. Unfortunately, certainly from a visual perspective that would look fairly unsightly, at least until it was off of the whole trailer. Once off do I just judiciously keep a good coat of wax on it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0571.HEIC.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	390045  
daboyce49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 01:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I would say that the clear coat needs to be reapplied. I would guess either it was an error at the aluminum factory or something happened to weaken it. It's there to protect the aluminum so my opinion is that it needs to be redone.

Contact the AS support people and ask them if they can do this or if you need to go to a paint and body shop
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 01:49 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
X2

I have it also, but not near as bad and it appeared at 8years old. I just cleaned and smoothed, and sprayed with auto rattle can clear.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A09DFC7B-921F-4975-9AF0-709B7271FAFD_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	390048  
Old 03-06-2021, 03:08 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Springbrook , Wisconsin
Thanks to both of you. But, have to apologize - should never have posted. Did a search on the site and found ample threads out there already (not sure why I thought my issue would have been some rare, isolated one unique to me). Any how got plenty of ideas from all those already experiencing this.

No, it likely shouldn't have happened to a trailer less than 3 years old but, on the other hand, who can tell what happened. Maybe something hit it just enough to chip the coat and then with combination of weather, air flow it was exacerbated and here we are. Anyway thanks again.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:27 PM   #5
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Clear Coat Peeling

Get that fixed in Jackson Center if it’s bothering you. It will never look right unless the panel is replaced. These are not traditionally clear coated panels like an automotive finish. They are done at the Alcoa factory and the finish cannot be replicated in the field, only patched up. And it will forever look patched up if not replaced.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:17 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2016 23' International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Get that fixed in Jackson Center if it’s bothering you. It will never look right unless the panel is replaced. These are not traditionally clear coated panels like an automotive finish. They are done at the Alcoa factory and the finish cannot be replicated in the field, only patched up. And it will forever look patched up if not replaced.
^ what he said
Seanlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:31 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Clear Coat Peeling

If you can manage a trip to Jackson Center it’s very likely to be worth the effort.

My 2018 had the same issue - a problem with the Alcoa supply for our model years it seems - and I had it fixed under warranty. Despite my concerns, I was convinced by the head of customer relations at Airstream that any dealer would have a trained technician and could do the job.

The service experience and quality of work were ultimately not acceptable - especially considering the price/prestige of the Airstream brand.

I should have went to Jackson Center.
posty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:47 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Springbrook , Wisconsin
Well, let me just say thanks for that advice. This has been weighing on me and a trip to JC definitely would be my preferred way to address it. Now just contact them and arrange it (and maybe consider anything else I’d like them to do whilst I’m there.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:47 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Springbrook , Wisconsin
Let me provide an update. I contacted Jackson Center to schedule a repair of the panel. The way they repair it is not to reapply the clear coat but to replace the affected panel.

The cost of the repair is estimated at $2500. On the other hand, if the damage does not appear to have been caused by something striking the panel then it would be covered by what they refer to as Goodwill. There certainly is no obvious evidence of anything like that so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

So, in fairness to Airstream, if what they are saying is that if there is an obvious dent or damage that clearly could have caused surface damage to the extent that it could/would lead the clear coat to peel (which there isn't) than the cost of repair would be on the customer. And, that is understandable.

My concern is that if something as innocuous as a small pebble could hit the shell and, without some much as leaving any dent or issue, could cause this. We have debris of that ilk strike our autos all the time and, though it might leave a small ding or chip in the finish, the clear coat certainly doesn't peel away from the surface of the car.

Oh, well, food for thought.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:56 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Springbrook , Wisconsin
Posty,

Do you have any documentation concerning that issue with 2018 model's Alcoa supply? If so, could you point me to it? It would certainly help.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2021, 12:49 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboyce49 View Post
Posty,

Do you have any documentation concerning that issue with 2018 model's Alcoa supply? If so, could you point me to it? It would certainly help.

Thanks.

I’m having trouble finding the threads but here are some:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

I messaged the Airstreaminc account and set up a service appointment.
posty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would get good pictures of the affected area before you head to JC, for your own records.

Maggie
Old 03-30-2021, 07:31 PM   #13
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Clear Coat Peeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboyce49;
Let me provide an update. I contacted Jackson Center to schedule a repair of the panel. The way they repair it is not to reapply the clear coat but to replace the affected panel.

The cost of the repair is estimated at $2500. On the other hand, if the damage does not appear to have been caused by something striking the panel then it would be covered by what they refer to as Goodwill. There certainly is no obvious evidence of anything like that so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

So, in fairness to Airstream, if what they are saying is that if there is an obvious dent or damage that clearly could have caused surface damage to the extent that it could/would lead the clear coat to peel (which there isn't) than the cost of repair would be on the customer. And, that is understandable.

My concern is that if something as innocuous as a small pebble could hit the shell and, without some much as leaving any dent or issue, could cause this. We have debris of that ilk strike our autos all the time and, though it might leave a small ding or chip in the finish, the clear coat certainly doesn't peel away from the surface of the car.

Oh, well, food for thought.

Yes, unfortunately that is the approach per post 5... really glad to hear they are considering goodwill replacement though! That is great!
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:04 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Springbrook , Wisconsin
To all - I did contact the customer service agent again in JC and said I had heard there was a known issue with some of the 2018's and asked if he was aware of that. He readily admitted that, yes, they were aware of it and because of that he didn't believe there would be any issue with them taking care of it under their Goodwill warranty.

I have taken a few pictures and will take a number more to confirm that there are no visible dents or dings in the area to give the mistaken idea that something else might have caused it. God forbid something should hit it between now and August when my appt in JC is, or on the trip from here in Northern Wisconsin to Ohio. Only have one other trip scheduled right now - to Denver end of April.

But with pictures as backup and considering it is happening on the upper front driver side corner I'd guess the chances are slim that there'll be an issue. Will have to scour the trailer to check for any other possible evidence of more occurrences.

Will keep you all informed. Thanks again for all the info.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:48 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Springbrook , Wisconsin
So the time has come. We have out appt on Monday for JC to address the clear cote peeling. Even though the trailer is out of warranty customer service has led me to believe that, based on issues they have acknowledged, trailers manufactured the year of mine have had know issues of this ilk due to a problem with some of the supply from Alcoa. So, with that said, let me just say I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Otherwise it could be fairly costly. Will post how it turns out.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:41 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Erie , Pennsylvania
How'd you make out?

Quote:
So the time has come. We have out appt on Monday for JC to address the clear cote peeling. Even though the trailer is out of warranty customer service has led me to believe that, based on issues they have acknowledged, trailers manufactured the year of mine have had know issues of this ilk due to a problem with some of the supply from Alcoa. So, with that said, let me just say I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Otherwise it could be fairly costly. Will post how it turns out.
I may have a similar issue top right side corner. Will be a JC next week.
please disregard the shadows & the rain
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AS aluminum corner - 1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	402191  
Rick & Becky #28279
2018 FC27FBQ
2021 RAM 2500 Hemi 6.4
KD3OBX 146.520
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:37 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Springbrook , Wisconsin
Well, we got back last week and all went well. They did cover the panel under the warranty even though it had expired. We were very pleased with how we were treated.

Apparently for some of the 2018 Alcoa aluminum, for which they put three coats on the outside and just one coat on the underside, they (Alcoa) inadvertently reversed the process, with just one coat on the outer side.

Anyhow, all’s well and good luck with your repair.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Well, we got back last week and all went well. They did cover the panel under the warranty even though it had expired. We were very pleased with how we were treated.

Apparently for some of the 2018 Alcoa aluminum, for which they put three coats on the outside and just one coat on the underside, they (Alcoa) inadvertently reversed the process, with just one coat on the outer side.

Anyhow, all’s well and good luck with your repair.
Thanks for following up!

While Airstream comes out of this looking good by covering it under warranty, I should imagine that the claim will get subrogated to Alcoa--especially since they're the ones that sold an out-of-spec product.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:39 AM   #19

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , Connecticut
Thanks for sharing the info here – it looks like my 2018 has a similar issue with the clear coat peeling on multiple panels. I reached out to Airstream, and the owners relations representative responded that they were unaware of any issues with the panels from Alcoa. The rep suggested if I wanted to go to a service dealer that they could look at it and write a warranty report.

Would the folks who have been successful navigating this with Airstream mind sharing the point of contract who was able to help. I think this process will be much smoother if I can start with someone at Airstream who is aware of the broader issue. Thanks!
COSpaceship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 11:25 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Springbrook , Wisconsin
Specifically, who at Airstream told you that? And, specifically, this gets more complicated than just finding a defective panel when Airstream is aware of the issue.

As might be expected, if you have a 2018 with a defective panel and get it repaired, as we did, it would only stand to reason that there'd quite possibly be more panels on your rig that have panels from the defective lot. After all, the trailer was built and "paneled" at the same time, likely with panels all from the same lt.

And, lo and behold, just checked our's out (been sitting on our seasonal site for the winter, and the panel next to the one they repaired has a spot also beginning the peeling process.