Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Cleaning Window clips/ latches

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1399752903.302270.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	211607 what is the best way to clean these windows clips / latches? I have tried sanding and then I tried a rust remover. Also, what is the best way to prevent it from happening again? I saw one of those things that you can put metal into and it shakes /'stirs them clean....does that method work? If so, What is it called and who would provide such a service? Thank you!
Shawnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
A rock tumbler, or sporting goods stores sell them as brass cleaners (ammunition brass). The cleaning media is corn cob, or it can be ground clay, like from clay planting pots for flowers. They clean by vibrating or tumbling. You can buy a real cheap one from Harbor Fright Tools.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnna View Post
Attachment 211607 what is the best way to clean these windows clips / latches? I have tried sanding and then I tried a rust remover. Also, what is the best way to prevent it from happening again? I saw one of those things that you can put metal into and it shakes /'stirs them clean....does that method work? If so, What is it called and who would provide such a service? Thank you!
Replacement window clips are cheap, plus they are made using stainless steel.

No more rust to worry about, ever.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thank you Howard and Andy! I was thinking about just replacing them and hubby thought that we should try to keep it as close as to original as we possible could by refinishing them. I would love the clean look of new stainless clips; however, my concern is getting them off of the windows without damaging the glass and I have read that some where having a little difficulty getting them to /fit and stay on...so if I do end up replacing them, do I use an adhesive or silicone during the install process?
Shawnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #5
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Here's where I'm at with the 66,67,68 window clips...

According to the reviews, some new clips fit and some new clips don't. Some clips lose their spring temper or never had any, and can't grasp the glass. Some clips bend out of shape. Some of the trouble could be that people don't know which they need. I think that there may be as many as 4 different applications. 66,67 original glass, 68 original glass with SS edge, 66,67 replacement glass, 68 replacement glass with SS edge. Maybe aftermarket suppliers are trying to accommodate this with a variety of clips. I don't know. It is confusing.
There is one supplier of the exact correct clips for your application. That's you, with the pile of nasty old clips that you gently and painstakingly removed from your windows. First scrape them clean with exact-o knives and tiny rat-tail files and wire brushes and emery paper. Then soak them in naval jelly as directed and clean them with hot soapy water. Dry them for a day, and spray or brush on rust reformer. Permatex is a good brand as is Rustoleum. Fog a little primer on them and finish with a few coats of color. You could, but I wouldn't bother, have them electro-statically painted.

When you reinstall, take a Q- tip and lightly butter the surface that contacts the glass with clear silicone to prevent water infiltrating and rusting the clip. This will last long enough until that someday you find yourself and trailer at a parts department that has clips, and you can test fit brand new clips. Or you may decide that your old rebuilt clips are holding up fine, and spend the savings on Glamping supplies.
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUMINUMINUM View Post
Here's where I'm at with the 66,67,68 window clips... According to the reviews, some new clips fit and some new clips don't. Some clips lose their spring temper or never had any, and can't grasp the glass. Some clips bend out of shape. Some of the trouble could be that people don't know which they need. I think that there may be as many as 4 different applications. 66,67 original glass, 68 original glass with SS edge, 66,67 replacement glass, 68 replacement glass with SS edge. Maybe aftermarket suppliers are trying to accommodate this with a variety of clips. I don't know. It is confusing. There is one supplier of the exact correct clips for your application. That's you, with the pile of nasty old clips that you gently and painstakingly removed from your windows. First scrape them clean with exact-o knives and tiny rat-tail files and wire brushes and emery paper. Then soak them in naval jelly as directed and clean them with hot soapy water. Dry them for a day, and spray or brush on rust reformer. Permatex is a good brand as is Rustoleum. Fog a little primer on them and finish with a few coats of color. You could, but I wouldn't bother, have them electro-statically painted. When you reinstall, take a Q- tip and lightly butter the surface that contacts the glass with clear silicone to prevent water infiltrating and rusting the clip. This will last long enough until that someday you find yourself and trailer at a parts department that has clips, and you can test fit brand new clips. Or you may decide that your old rebuilt clips are holding up fine, and spend the savings on Glamping supplies.
I have to agree! I'm working on a 68 Safari right now and have had to replace 5 of the 6 windows. I've tried different clips and so far the originals are the best. Aftermarket ones just don't come close. I wonder if the original clips could be chromed?
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertair27 View Post
I have to agree! I'm working on a 68 Safari right now and have had to replace 5 of the 6 windows. I've tried different clips and so far the originals are the best. Aftermarket ones just don't come close. I wonder if the original clips could be chromed?
Some clips are available that are "superior" to the originals.

And best of all, one is made with "stainless steel", which will never rust.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote