Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2021, 09:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Chip in exterior skin

Some moron was weed eating on the hillside behind my house where the Globetrotter is parked, kicking up a cloud of dust and some small stones. As luck would have it, before I could get to him I heard a rock impact the rear of the trailer. It actually hit hard enough to create a tiny dimple in the skin and left a very small scuff in the finish that cut right though the protective coating to the aluminum underneath.

Right now, it's all I can see when I look at the panel but it is small, I know that my fixation on it will pass, and if this is the worst thing that ever happens to the trailer I'll consider myself lucky. I am wondering, though, if the "wound" in the coating should have anything done to it besides the Meguiars polymer sealant I applied.

Do I need to worry about lifting of the protective film around the edges of the scuff? I read something on the forum about an acrylic touch up pen that was once available from Airstream but they are out of stock and I don't want to make things worse by trying a spray product. Any suggestions?.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Almost any clear-coat automotive touchup will work. As a very old advertisement (I am dating myself) said, "a little dab will do ya."

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
Almost any clear-coat automotive touchup will work. As a very old advertisement (I am dating myself) said, "a little dab will do ya."

Tim
I do have some clear coat touch up but I wasn't sure if that was appropriate for this application. But it does make sense. I'll give it a try. Thanks. (And I get the Brylcreem reference....)

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote