Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Savannah , Georgia
chassis paint question..paint experts?

i'm planning on painting my chassis when i get them pulled out in the next few weeks. at the same time i'm restoring a vintage delta unisaw tablesaw and i need to paint the inside of it and the castings.
i was going to go buy a gallon of sher-kem black high gloss enamel today for the saw, but just thought i should try to find a paint that will work for both to save money.
i haven't researched chassis paint much...i was thinking of looking into por-15...but i know some guys use sher-kem on tractors...is this a good option for for the chassis as well? or is there something else that's better for chassis that would work fine on machinery. since i'm only doing the inside of the saw neither of the jobs will really be visible.
thanks for any advice.

andy
Spit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Hi Andy, well I am no paint expert, but I am on my fourth shell off restoration, so at best I can give you my experience thus far. I am not familiar with the POR-15 products but they certainly do have a following and a number of respected retailers your way endorse it. When bringing my respective trailer chassis back from the brink, they were sandblasted and etch primed as part of a 3 part epoxy regime, with extra,extra final coats ( different colours in some cases ), to exposed areas such as wheel wells, bumpers and drawbars. I just held on to the fact that I wanted the trailers to be here in another 50 years and that makes most decisions with regard to quality and cost more easy to deal with. Hope I have been of some help ,
Happy painting.
Pete
Petethefeet is offline   Reply With Quote