Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Buffing waxing fiber glass

Third AS , polished two Aluminum but now have a Land Yacht. Do you go to a marine supply and get a cleaner wax for fiber Glass. Can I buff to get out oxidation. The lower parts are steel,do they get something different. Thanks.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #2
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Lots of products for this and I have been researching it for some time as I am working on a fiberglass rig at the moment as well. I have decided to use this with a DA polisher: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and Meguiar's liquid wax for follow up maintenance. My oxidation is very minor and I wanted something easy, plus I trust Meguiar's products and have used them all my life. They do make more aggressive fiberglass products if your oxidation is severe. Griot's also makes a one step compound which looks pretty good however the Mequiar's is specifically for fiberglass. The liquid Meguiar's wax I chose because it is easy and it is safe for the fiberglass, the painted areas and the decals. If you have any decals be careful what you use or you could damage them. While buffing I will tape off the decals as they are in great shape, but I will apply the liquid wax over the entire coach. For the metal surfaces I would use automotive products.
Here is a link to the liquid wax which I will use for upkeep once it is buffed https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M633.../dp/B0007TR47G
Old 02-22-2021, 04:54 PM   #3
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Correction

Correction This is the wax I am using, I believe it is a bit safer for vinyl graphics and painted surfaces. https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M633.../dp/B0007TR47G

If you don't have decals or painted surfaces I would use the Flagship product I linked earlier. On Vinyl decals it can turn white which is why I am using the other. I did contact Meguiar's last week for advice on the products and they just arrived today.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:57 PM   #4
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
I've been experimenting with the products and others for a week and I learned a lot. If you are still around, and interested I will furnish the details.