I used the drop to line up my letters and glued them in place with this stuff called Lexel. Not sure if that was a good choice, but I'm experimenting.
I thought I could apply just the right amount of glue, but I still made a mess.
A couple days later I pulled off the template and then spent a couple hours carefully removing all (most of) the glue.
It looks pretty good, but I put a few scratches in the brass removing the glue, and I realized that even fingerprints left orange spots of oxidation.
When I have some time, I'm going to put the template back up there and polish the letters. I bought some brass preservative called Protectaclear. It's a lot like Everbrite, but made for polished metal.
I'll update as I go.