Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Blue stripes.....

Stripes coming off my 1987 Excella. I have one side removed and the glue stripped. (used Certistrip and a scraper). Not sure what I want to do next. I see that I can buy the 7 inch wide striping of the same pattern. Not sure I think I can actually install it. Has anyone put on their own stripes using the replacement trim? Is it doable? Have seen several done by P&S and they did a good job. Does anyone have other suggestions for side? The Al is still showing stripes. Is there a way to sand or polish it a little to look like the rest of the mill finish. Maybe a orpital polisher and the right grit? Considering just clearcoating the part between the trim bands and then maybe a small stripe? The wide blue stripes is the feature I like the least on this vintage Airstream anyway.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Springfield , Illinois
Where were you able to find stripes? I have an 80 Excella that needs new stripes.
Riverrat6270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Out-of-Doors-Mart has a selection of decals and trim. Replacement is doable, but the compound curves on the rear corners can be a real challenge.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I removed the vinyl stripes on our 81 Excella and painted with ustoleum rattle cans firs priming with zinc chromate primer. Looks good after 3 yrs. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I also put reflective tape strip down the middle of the wide stripe. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Stripes coming off my 1987 Excella. I have one side removed and the glue stripped. (used Certistrip and a scraper). Not sure what I want to do next. I see that I can buy the 7 inch wide striping of the same pattern. Not sure I think I can actually install it. Has anyone put on their own stripes using the replacement trim? Is it doable? Have seen several done by P&S and they did a good job. Does anyone have other suggestions for side? The Al is still showing stripes. Is there a way to sand or polish it a little to look like the rest of the mill finish. Maybe a orpital polisher and the right grit? Considering just clearcoating the part between the trim bands and then maybe a small stripe? The wide blue stripes is the feature I like the least on this vintage Airstream anyway.
The discoloring is from the old decal.

It cannot be rubbed, polished aor anything else to match the rest of the metal, unless you polish the complete trailer.

What some of our customers changed to was painting that area with Dupont's "Chromalusion" paint.

That's the paint that changes colors as you walk by it. It's available in several basic colors.

It looks fantastic when done, but...........it's not cheap.

People will stop as gaze at it, because it changes colors as you look at it from front to back.

Andy

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
As far as learning how to stripe.....go down to your local car dealer and spy on the sublet companies which come in and stripe the dealer's cars for them. You'll pick up a lot of tricks.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Thanks Andy and others. For now I am just gonna clean it up and put some clear coat over the Al, shadow stripes and all. I can redo the stripes later if that is what we want. I bet the Chromailusion looks good, but that is a bunch of money and I am a relatively inexperienced painter.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
You can buy the stripe direct from Airstream they have a wide selection of them . I bought the stripe for mine it is the two tone blue with silver pinstripes 7 1/2'' wide not a easy job to replace getting off the old was nearly impossible . I gave up and only replaced what was bad . I think the materal was around $4/ft. Good luck Les wbcci 14183
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Thanks Less. I can get the old off. Scraper and Certi Strip. Yes, it is hard.
How is the new applied? Is it a sticky back on a thin vinyl front? Is it as hard as the numbers to work with?

thanks for the input.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
May be too late for you, but if there are others that need to remove pinstripes... there is an eraser to do this. Google "pinstripe eraser"

Here's a video of it in use.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
you can also take a picture and measurement and go to a graphics place and get some vinyl stripes.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
The striping on our '88 Excella had begun to fail, and I tried a few tricks to remove the old vinyl.. After use of: Plastic Scraper, Heat Gun, Pressure Washer, Stripper, and a few other concoctions, we got the vinyl off, but not the underlying residue adhesive.. The replacement multi-color striping (wide roll) is available from Airstream through dealers, at ~$5 per foot now..

We gave up, called local dealer, and Service Mgr suggested: "Why not paint it, because stripe install is a pain..." Having already bought striping, I decided to ask him to remove adhesive (their body shop has industrial stripper) and install tape, while fixing leak under heavy aluminum Excella emblem in front of door.. Will get it back shortly and report on cost and success.

There is thread here on Forums explaining that new install goes better if tape applied with water and maybe dish soap to facilitate adjustments, as 15' of wide tape is real hard to get down without bubbles or boo boo's...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote