Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2021, 11:26 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
Anyone have JC fix Corrosion?

Good Afternoon,

Our Airstream is at JC getting lots done to the exterior work done (resealed, new skylights, axles, brakes, tires, rebuilt steps, etc.). The previous owner had the interior refurbished by JC a few years ago.

With the refurbished interior and exterior rework ongoing, the AS looks great. Only exception is a bit of corrosion in several places. Our Tech said he will get us a quote for them to clean up the corrosion and re-clear coat the affected areas.

As it is truly the last thing to make the AS look new (inside and out), we are (depending on price) tempted to have them do it.

Curious if anyone has had JC do this and how did it turn out?

Thanks
Dan
Old 06-28-2021, 12:03 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Spokane , Washington
If you’re talking about filiform corrosion, there’s no real repair for that. No matter how they treat it, it won’t look much better. They can stop the spread, but that’s about it. The only real repair is a replaced panel, which is $$$. Curious to hear what they quote you/say they can do—assuming you’re talking about filiform.
coltnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
I'll be watching this as we are starting to see small versions of corrosion occurring.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltnkat View Post
If you’re talking about filiform corrosion, there’s no real repair for that. No matter how they treat it, it won’t look much better. They can stop the spread, but that’s about it. The only real repair is a replaced panel, which is $$$. Curious to hear what they quote you/say they can do—assuming you’re talking about filiform.
Not sure that is true....I **think** the pre-applied coating from Alcoa can be removed, the corrosion removed and the trailer can be clear-coated, but won't be the aloca pre-finish. I think P&S does this, but I am unsure if it can be done, if they need to do the entire trailer or can do just one part. I don't think (depending on severity) that panel overlay or replacement is necc.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Please post what JC tells you. I'm with panamerican and not sure what, other than replacement, can be done. I've 'heard' P&S is the place to go(?) but I don't know anything about the process for the Alcoa coated panels.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:32 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
I will chat more with them when I get the estimate. At this time, it is my understanding it will involve removing the clearcoat, dealing with the corrosion, reapplying the clearcoat. Also my impression is it will be spot focused vice the whole trailer.

I should know more in a few days.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:51 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Spokane , Washington
Just to clarify: You can totally abate and treat filiform. I have, but it doesn't really look much better treated. If you want it to look like new, you'll need a new panel. Of course, that doesn't make sense if it's mostly minor. The trouble with filiform is that it pits the aluminum, so you can sand it down, treat with Corrosion X, and reapply clearcoat. There are some biblical threads on this in the forums, which are helpful if dense. Some repair jobs look better than others--none are as good as new.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:02 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Keep in mind that it's not just the panels you can see this on. I've seen it on the trim that surrounds my battery hatch doors that are on the front of my Classic. I've also seen it on my Sendel wheels that bought directly from Sendel and added several years after I took ownership of my Airstream. My Classic has never traveled in winter conditions, never been down to any campground by the ocean, and sits in a garage when it's not in use. Bottom line the corrosion occurs no matter how well you keep your trailer out of the weather. It's not bad by any means but if you look hard enough you can find it....and it's not just the Alcoa supplied aluminum.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:34 PM   #9
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
The best cure is prevention. Always keep the alumium sheets, edges, and rivets covered with a good coat of Walbernize. I have done that for sixteen seasons and no filiform corrosion.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:13 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Laurel , Maryland
My filiform problem too

Quote:
Originally Posted by cru-in View Post
Good Afternoon,

Our Airstream is at JC getting lots done to the exterior work done (resealed, new skylights, axles, brakes, tires, rebuilt steps, etc.). The previous owner had the interior refurbished by JC a few years ago.

With the refurbished interior and exterior rework ongoing, the AS looks great. Only exception is a bit of corrosion in several places. Our Tech said he will get us a quote for them to clean up the corrosion and re-clear coat the affected areas.

As it is truly the last thing to make the AS look new (inside and out), we are (depending on price) tempted to have them do it.

Curious if anyone has had JC do this and how did it turn out?

Thanks
Dan
My 24 year trailer has the filiform corrosion problem.
I will be following this thread for ideas and updates.
Stay healthy and safe everyone. Rick
Rick n Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:35 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
Hi Team,

Chatted with JC about treating the filiform. Here is what they are doing to my trailer:

1) Remove clearcoat in affected areas
2) Sand the Filiform
3) Neutralize it with Corrosion-X
4) Reapply clearcoat.

They made sure to point out, this will stop it and prevent further deuteriation. It will not return the finish to like new. The repaired area will still be visible.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:39 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Consider....The JC "repair" will have the same filiform propensity as the first time they tried.

"Cloudsplitter" had some when we picked it up. It continued to spread quickly for 2-3 Seasons, slowed down for 11 and returned last year.
I've tried many different fixes, none perfect.
What's done now, use a dental scaler and remove ALL the corrosion down to the clean panel.
Smooth with 800grit wet paper, (half a wooden clothes pin is a great sanding 'block', medium rubbing compound, Brakleen to wipe down. I now just use a quality auto brush on clear for most all small spots.

“Time will bring to light whatever is hidden; it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor. “
Horace

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-01-2021, 06:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Yes, scrape, and coat! I cannot figure out what happened to my AS this past year- much more filliform than before and it was waxed. I understand it is sodium ions but wow.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:12 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
Quote:
Hi Team,

Chatted with JC about treating the filiform. Here is what they are doing to my trailer:

2) Sand the Filiform
4) Reapply clearcoat.

They made sure to point out, this will stop it and prevent further deuteriation. It will not return the finish to like new. The repaired area will still be visible.
I should update how I worded step 2) above. they said they would "remove the filiform". I did ask about it returning and they said, with appropriate maintenance, it will not return.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:59 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
I should update how I worded step 2) above. they said they would "remove the filiform". I did ask about it returning and they said, with appropriate maintenance, it will not return.
That's hilarious ... "appropriate maintenance." I bought a unit with minor filiform and it has stayed mostly minor b/c I've done the very same things that Bob described above. This was hours of work though. I wash and wax several times a year, and the filiform still finds a way on occasion due to invisible nicks and wear in the clearcoat. I know there are plenty of others that have never had any filiform that put in half the effort I have. In the end, it's just what happens to imperfectly coated/painted aluminum. Some will have it worse than others, but to say that it won't return with "appropriate maintenance" is, well, BS and they know it.
Old 07-11-2021, 11:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
Not sure that is true....I **think** the pre-applied coating from Alcoa can be removed, the corrosion removed and the trailer can be clear-coated, but won't be the aloca pre-finish. I think P&S does this, but I am unsure if it can be done, if they need to do the entire trailer or can do just one part. I don't think (depending on severity) that panel overlay or replacement is necc.
P&S can polish but last time I called they can no longer clear coat. EPA stooped the Jude of solvents in their custom formulation
I believe the corrosion can be buffed out of not too deep but the lol of the buffed section won’t match the original
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 11:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Yes, scrape, and coat! I cannot figure out what happened to my AS this past year- much more filliform than before and it was waxed. I understand it is sodium ions but wow.
The corrosion is due to chemical reaction between the fitting and contact with bare metal where the clearcoat is damaged by the fitting
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I believe Corrosion-X is similar to ACF-50, which is an oily substance. Clear coat paint won’t stick to it. It can be used to temporarily slow corrosion, but if you are clear coating then skip step 3.

Quote:
Hi Team,

2) Sand the Filiform
4) Reapply clearcoat.