Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Herndon , Virginia
Am I Crazy - Auto Wax or 303 on external (plastic) coating?

I'm pretty sure I learned on these forums that my 2015 Airstream IS has plastic clearcoat/sheeting on the external aluminum. After 5 + years, I've noticed and fixed 1-2 very small spots where the plastic has come off by coating the exposed areas with AS acrylic clear paint. I have also used auto wax twice a year or so on the exterior. Last time I tried and liked 303 protectant better than wax --easier to apply. Now on reflection, 2 questions occur to me: (1) Am I crazy to apply wax or 303 to that plastic? Seems to me any kind of UV protection is a good thing; (2) 303 appears to work well, but directions say not to use on "clear plastic". Um.....

Interested in opinions on both questions: Useful to wax/protect that plastic coating; and Can/should I use 303 protectant or regular wax to do that? (Suppose I could also use the pink RV protectant -name I forget....). tx 66 coupe
66coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard👍

303 is not a wax, it is primarily a UV protectant.
I use on all plastic, rubber, fabric etc.

Better to use a sealant/wax designed for painted surfaces.
The coating applied by Alcoa is basically a polymer clear 'paint'.

FWIW
I use Griots. Sealant .....and/or wax.
The one step is great on light blemishes.

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:16 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Towson , Maryland
Bob-

What tools/pads do you use to apply Griots products? I searched but haven’t seen much. Thinking about a Griots random orbital. Newbie to airstreams and toy maintenance generally.

Greg
dream_stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:35 AM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
I use the 6" red foam pad on the velcro disc for the one step and the orange pad for wax. I have a 6" Porter Cable Orbital

I use the Blue Microfiber for all removal.

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:45 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Everett , Washington
Wax or 303

Hi,
Like Robert I use Griots Garage products. For several years I used their poly liquid wax with excellent results. I applied a coat when de-winterizing and another later in the season. Water beaded and washing to remove road grime and bug jerky was easily done with regular soap. The poly was lasted well between applications.
This year I tried another Griots product. Too soon to tell if the Ceramic 3-1 will last but the water beading and ease of washing off grime is even better than the poly wax. For surface prep I clayed the entire trailer to remove surface imperfections before applying the ceramic. Nice thing about the ceramic coating is any haze is easy to remove and the ceramic protects exterior trim and un-coated aluminum with no hazing after easy wiping with a micro fiber towel. Time will tell but I'm very pleased with the results so far.
Mike
FC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote