Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Vancouver , British Columbia
Airstream Exterior factory paint?

Hello,
We have a 1974 Airstream 31' Sovereign International, according to the serial number made in California.
It appears to be painted? And that paint appears to be original, is this possible?
I haven't found anything on these forums that talks about exterior paint for Airstreams, only Argosy? Maybe I should keep digging.
I've had two other Airstream owner come by to look at it and they agree it looks painted but painted very well as if it is original? Did the California plant ever paint these. The colour is silver, grey.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
cheers,
Ryan
checkerdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Here is a photo of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3532627022.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	468.8 KB
ID:	164092  
Old 07-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkerdown View Post
Hello,
We have a 1974 Airstream 31' Sovereign International, according to the serial number made in California.
It appears to be painted? And that paint appears to be original, is this possible?
I haven't found anything on these forums that talks about exterior paint for Airstreams, only Argosy? Maybe I should keep digging.
I've had two other Airstream owner come by to look at it and they agree it looks painted but painted very well as if it is original? Did the California plant ever paint these. The colour is silver, grey.
cheers,
Ryan
Airstream has only used one color of paint, ever, which is absolutely clear, at least when it's new. In time it tirns opaque.

The silver is an after market paint job.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Po

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkerdown View Post
Hello,
cheers,
Ryan
Have you scratched the paint to see if it is aluminum? I bet the PO painted it instead of stripping and clear coating. Airstream's paint code chart only goes back to 75
Old 07-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Thanks Dan,
Do you mean is it aluminum underneath? Yes.
I've had some paint experts look at it and they think it's original, because there are zero drips or imperfections that would indicate repainting unless it was super expensive pro job? So there are paint codes for the exterior silver later on in Airstream history? How can I get ahold of these codes? And where can I find a paint code for the blue paint on the trim aluminum?
thanks!!!
Ryan
Old 07-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
In the California sun, the clearcoat that was applied at the factory has a tendency to breakdown. Some high sun area owners have decided to paint their unit instead of spending the time to remove the failing clearcoat/polish/reclearcoat. It makes economic sense. I have seen some that were very well done and lasted a long time.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Roblin , MB.
Just wondering why clear coat would be lifting on both front and rear end caps on our '74 31' International and the rest of the clear coat is good??
nairnchyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
From the photo it looks like it was clear coated at some time... can you take a close up of a seam with some rivets and shadows? The contrast might make it easier to determine the finish. Looks great from the photo though.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
I recall that Inland RV used to, and perhaps still does, offer painting for Airstreams with peeling clearcoat. In fact, I think that Andy recommended it particularly for units that had body damage which would have been very expensive to fix if the underlying repairs could not be concealed beneath paint.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairnchyz View Post
Just wondering why clear coat would be lifting on both front and rear end caps on our '74 31' International and the rest of the clear coat is good??
The original clearcoat lasts from 5 to 6 years.

If it's original, be glad that any of it is left.

Andy
Old 07-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Thanks for your knowledge everyone, we realize now that our Airstream was painted, probably in the seventies or eighties.
Damn good job though! we are going to leave it this way.
cheers.
Ryan
Old 09-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Lodi , California
Painted airstream

Hi we are new to the airstream living and this forum. Found
Your post interesting we have a 65 safari that was painted after the
Clear coat failed. My husband and I have stripped off all the paint (long long process) Now its being buffed out. The next step would be to re caulk all the grooves and possible clear coat to prevent oxidation? Can anyone recommend
Specific caulking and how to prevent oxidation after having it bufffed out. Thank you for all the help!
Rad06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad06 View Post
Hi we are new to the airstream living and this forum. Found
Your post interesting we have a 65 safari that was painted after the
Clear coat failed. My husband and I have stripped off all the paint (long long process) Now its being buffed out. The next step would be to re caulk all the grooves and possible clear coat to prevent oxidation? Can anyone recommend
Specific caulking and how to prevent oxidation after having it bufffed out. Thank you for all the help!
Large seams are filled with Vulkem (slow curing) or Sikaflex(fast curing) sealers.

Small seams are sealed with Parr-bond.

Living within 50 miles or so of salt water, requires very frequent washing and waxing, like every month, is about mandatory.

The vulkem cures out in 2 to 3 days. The Sikaflex cures out in about one hour.

Andy