Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2003, 10:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

'92 paint vs. clearcoat

Clearcoat vs. Painting a '92

I've read the forum on this topic. Can someone point me at the elegant solution to the peeling clearcoat and paint problem? My rig is a '92, so polishing doesn't seem an option ( plus I'm astonishingly lazy about washing or waxing - but I'll happily take apart a motor that doesn't need it) - everything is a brushed satin finish which, I learn, is polishable but at great effort. Plus, being a later model, there's actually quite a lot of painted area - nose, around windows, several side stripes, all lower doors, some of which are plastic (and cracked - a seperate problem), trunk, bumper fairings, spoiler, etc. and the paint is literally falling off. No sign of sanding or primer underneath. Pretty cheesy looking. The areas where the clear has fallen off are actually lighter than the coated part. Will it all look the same stripped?
I know some folks have painted the whole rig silver, which seems a little extreme. Can't I just get someone to aircraft strip the whole thing and reclearcoat and repaint it ? It shouldn't cost any more to put in a booth and spray than a semi trailer or a school bus. Assuming I want all the stripes and stuff back on. ..I kind of like the simplicty of the earlier ones. Is the difference in durability between clearcoat and clearcoated paint really as extreme as I read? Is it the inability of the clearcoat to stay on the aluminum without primer that makes it so fragile?

Thanks.
fangthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 10:23 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

I think Andy at Inland RV can help you. I was at his shop recently. There were two there that had been painted. One poorly and the other looked nice. If you are not going to polish I think it is the way to go.
TBKP's Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote