Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Chatham , Ontario
1998 Airstream Clearcoat

Hi guy,s
I have a question about the type of finish on a 1998 25 I am looking at. This unit seems to have a duller? finish as compared to my previous 1988 34. There is a couple on spots that has areas about the size of a dinner plate where the coating has come off. My question is did Airstream change the material they used during this year and second is this a simple repair such as just appling a touch up in the damaged area or is this going to end up being a complete strip and recoat.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
After 1996 Airstream started to buy their aluminum precoated at the aluminum mill. They did have some problems and brought some back to the factory to be resprayed. Contact the factory or your local Airstream dealer to see which way would be the easiest and nicest looking way of covering up your dinner plates.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Pauline , South Carolina
You can buy spray cans of Plasticote from your local Airstream dealer. www.outofdoorsmart.com Great source.
MissPearl is offline   Reply With Quote