Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
1971 31' Sovereign
berlin , Berlin Germany
They try to rip you off, by a can of Nano protection fluid, that will last 5 years and is used in the industry for this purpose
egbertwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Aircraft sealant for Airstream?

Great comments in previous posts. Our experience with our Airstream is limited to two seasons. I'll need to rely on previous experience with aircraft maintenance. With aircraft regardless of coating the drill is to clean, treat, inspect, remove - repeat. Nothing made of aluminum is immune. Aluminum close to salt water is less immune.

How can you tell your dealer is not looking out for you? Oh! You just did.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #23

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
$1200 for insurance that they'll replace any panels that develop filiform corrosion is an iffy proposition. $1200 for some mystery coating that's not guaranteed to do anything and has no enforceable conditions on the scammer...errrr... seller of the snake-oil is some of that old-time car salesman religion.

If you negotiated a nice price, tell Mr. Salesman to keep his snake oil and take your Airstream home. If you're still close to list, call another dealer first and see what they can do.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think it is a dealership problem. Dealership probably has a manager that is interested in how much money they can make. Selling 1500 jobs that do not cost near that much is certainly making money. Salesman may not even have a choice not to offer it. Had a friend who was manager of a local Pennys store back when they sold appliances. His comment on the add on warranties was "I know how many they can sell. If a salesman does not make that quota I just fire them and get someone who will." Airstream dealers come and go.
I am not up to date on the filiform corrosion. I do know that I have 2 trailers made in the late 80's that have been dragged all over North America and that have sat outside all their life and they still look pretty good and there is no real damage from corrosion to the aluminum. I would worry more about the steel frame rusting.
You bought a good trailer. Keep an eye on it for leaks and catch any problems if they develop. Use it. That is the best maintence plan.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #25
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Filiform KSC Corrosion Technology Laboratory -- Filiform Corrosion and other corrosion will be generated when the unit is in a wet environment.
No one has addressed the need for a weaker metal to help control this.
Although the following article applies to underwater, or underground conditions, it still applies to your aluminum trailer when it is wet.
Unless you have a sacrificial metal weaker than aluminium, the aluminium will be the weakest point on your Airstream trailer.
I had a IH9670, 475 twin turbo A , with aluminum frame in the 80's and had to keep a zinc on the frame all the time. I operated on the Island, 24/7, where it has many wet days and salt roads over the winter.
The Zink has to be mounted where is is going to get and generally stay wet. On my truck I mounted it exposed to the wheel well.
Maybe, on a trailer, it could be mounted in the rain gutter behind the awning????
On my Clipper motorhome, I use an Anode Rod in the water heater and have to replace it every year.
Read this and make your own decisions.
Galvanic anode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
POI.... filiform is not caused by galvanic action, (dissimilar metals).

Note that under prevention methods the application of a brittle coating is suggested.
In the past that coating was applied at the AS Factory. It is now done by Alcoa. Every uncoated edge or coating defect is susceptible.

Bob
Old 12-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #27
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
I was really excited to have a new AS. Now however, I am feeling a bit taken in by the manufacturer. If you build a product where aluminum is the primary material, wouldn't you take every conceivable measure to do it properly?
Probably more conceivable measures could be taken, but even that would be incremental. The construction methods of Airstream trailers simply are favorable for corrosion to start. Holes, panel edges, etc. To the point I would not recommend the trailers to those sensitive to the corrosion and plan on lots of exposure to salt or sea air.

At least from my experience a spritz of ACF 50 or (gasp) WD40 sprayed along panel edges, rivets, the ever questionable license plate fixture, and other corrosion prone areas will at least retard the corrosion. I usually do this application before using trailer at immediate coast. This and applications of Meguairs Synthetic Spray detailer have kept my trailer looking good. My '05 has a few little spots but the appearance of this seven year old trailer is certainly one of its strong points.

I'd be likely to dismiss a $1200. treatment out of hand, but if anyone were even thinking of selling it to me, I'd want to know complete specs of product applied, with the company info provided.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Most of the skin corrosion that I have seen on my 30 yrs old trailer is superficial and not a structural problem. The big corrosion problems are underneath where the wet fiberglass and water soaked floors eat away at the frame and sometimes the aluminum in contact with same.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
$1200 for insurance that they'll replace any panels that develop filiform corrosion is an iffy proposition. $1200 for some mystery coating that's not guaranteed to do anything and has no enforceable conditions on the scammer...errrr... seller of the snake-oil is some of that old-time car salesman religion.

If you negotiated a nice price, tell Mr. Salesman to keep his snake oil and take your Airstream home. If you're still close to list, call another dealer first and see what they can do.
We had already agreed on price (a good one) and other details. This offer for the $1200 Sealant was made by the "finance guy" - you know, the one who bats cleanup, and finishes your papers.

IME, this process was exactly like buying a new car. When you get turned over to the finance guy he tries to sell undercoating, extended warranties and a few other super high-margin deals that add thousands to a dealer's profits. I've been around the block a few times, so I know it's coming. I wasn't that upset with the guy for trying, I was more upset to learn that I just spent a lot of money for something that is going to corrode like that. I was suddenly nervous that maybe the AS people weren't on top of the thing.

All in all, the dealer was ok. I wasn't pressured about this $1200 job, and I was laughing at the lack of a guarantee, so the guy was in a mostly embarrassed position.
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #30

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Ah, the Finance Guy. When I bought my last new vehicle in 2005 (I bought the truck used) I put a sizable net down payment but financed because 1.9% was (at the time) less than you could earn from a CD.

The Finance Guy tried to sell me gap coverage, a popular item for them to push these days since lots of people stay upside down in their vehicle financing for long periods. I said "Look as those numbers again. If this car is going to lose THAT much in depreciation perhaps I should reconsider the purchase." That was enough to change it to a "sign here and enjoy your new car (and go away so I can get the next mark in here)" transaction.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote