Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Fun & Games
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
What's your claim to fame!?

Just one glitch, this is not an achievment competition but a fond memory of your younger year and your pursuits. The dorkier the better, play accordian or twirl a baton, let us know? Pictures get bonus points.

I am in funky mood, as I found myself twirling "oscar" the mop on a stick for busting cobwebs this winter day as the 60 mile winds have blown most of our shingles into the yard today, but hey, let's have a bit of fun and a smile.

Ladies were you a majorette? Fess up, guys what were you doing waaay back when when you were a wee lad? What did you want to be when you grew up?

Nostalgia waxes supreme in this thread if you are game to play. Participants appreciated.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
Mine is that I am incapable of smelling a skunk. It has impressed many a girl over the miles.

And that is genetics (my brother has it), as are many claims to fame.

So now that I have this talent, the only difference between me and OJ is that I didn't take the opportunity to exploit it.
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
That's a new one on me Hank. I looked that up. That's interesting.

Different smells trigger different receptor cells in the lining of the nose. You can detect around 2000 different smelly substances or odorants. Most smells are a mixture of several odorants. Our ability to detect all these odorants varies - one in a thousand people cannot smell skunk odour. As well as the smells you are aware of, some scientists believe you can also detect pheromones, 'attraction chemicals'.

We have skunks around here and we can smell them and the animals have gotten sprayed. Maybe I can call you and you can give them the bath.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:18 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
1964 24' Tradewind
1956 18' "Footer"
Southern , Minnesota
Accordian, unicycle, and self-taught sliderule user. Just not all three at the same time.

I still break out the accordian just to annoy my dog (he howls, I laugh).

Steve "Dancin" Hansen
TAC MN-31

visit my almost yearly blog https://www.bluessafari.blogspot.com
GR8DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Carol,
I'd say my claim to fame for nerdiness is an above average interest in language and word origins. When in high school I'd spend study halls reading the dictionary and encyclopedias. How does that rate on the "nerd scale"? I also used to collect very old (1920's and earlier) 78rpm records as a high schooler, and learn the songs. I still include a couple in my musical act.
-John
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Auburn , Washington
My claim to fame would have to be my library of interesting yet useless knowledge.
Example: What is Daffy Duck's middle name? Which "Bond girl" married Ringo
starr?

These have got me a few beers over time, but have yet to put a buck in the bank!!
Perhaps on a game show one day...Laugh everybody!!!

Name the song that was Manfred Mann's first top ten hit?

Dan
strmstr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Well, I guess in this crowd, it is that I've actually met, in person, Moderator MEL. And her much younger husband of course. And she's not that old either - so young, so many Airstreams, what a life they have.

Barry
Old 12-29-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
Wheel,
I sure would be willing give them a bath, however, my wife can smell a skunk, so I would have to decline...
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Speaking of genetic oddities, I can claim to smell skunk just fine; especially at two in

the AM when one or both of the dogs has tangled with one. But here's the deal... poison ivy has no irritating effect on me.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Back in my hot rod days, in the early 60's...I decided my Bug Eyed Austin Healy Sprite needed a power boost...

So I removed the stock engine and 'dropped' a small block Chevy V-8 into it! I had to cut the toe boxes on each side about 4 inches in order to stuff that engine into that small space...the exhaust headers I hand built looked like Armadillos due to all the welds, when I was through!

I had to do a lot of other 'mods' to make everything work, but that new motor fit under the hood just fine!...it was a real Corvette 'Killer' at the time, and I had lots of fun with that car!...it was probably the only one in the US at that time...one year at the races in Montery, Dan Gurney came over to take a look when he heard the sound, and he got a got a good laugh when I raised the hood!...he invited me out to the track to take a couple of hot laps during practice, now that was a real blast!

Wish I still had that car...it would be a real fun 'Toad' to fire up in a campground!
Old 12-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #11
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
I framed Roger Rabbit.

Tim

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:42 PM   #12
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
My claim to fame is that I have met, in person, the elusive Barry, aka safari57.

And Barry, who are you calling old? (you knew those pictures would come back to haunt you, didn't you?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UB.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	73112   Click image for larger version

Name:	UB2.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	73114  

Old 12-30-2008, 09:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Mel, good shot back.

It is a darned good thing I grew a beard since these pictures were taken as I look so much younger now, except for the little kid who thought I was Santa the other day. I do like the way you photo shopped all that extra weight on me . Now I know what I'll look like in another ten or fifteen years.

Barry
Old 12-30-2008, 10:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I took a sewing class in college.

Hi, I have helped many females set-up and properly adjust their sewing machines. One friend of mine wanted some curtains sewn for his van. He said his Mom had a new machine that she never used and it would be OK to use it. His Mom came home before we were finished and was surprised to see her machine in action. She said, that she never used the new sewing machine because she didn't know how to set it up. Then asked me how I learned to use a sewing machine; And this became my joke, but true answer. "I took sewing in college." Actually I took a body shop class at Long Beach City College and one day a week we had an upholstrey class.

My latest project was my "Airstream Foot Stool / Generator Cover."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Foot Stool 001 (Large).jpg
Views:	187
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	73126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Foot Stool 004 (Large).jpg
Views:	175
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	73127  

Name:	Foot Stool 008 (Large).jpg
Views:	166
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	73128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Foot Stool 005 (Large).jpg
Views:	187
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	73129  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:00 AM   #15
Rivet Master

WOW! You need to market those!
Old 02-10-2009, 03:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

"Claim to fame?"
Not really braggin', but probably should add:
I've played for 2 Presidential Inaugurations (Regan's second, and Geo. H.W.'s only)and performed for the Regans at the White House. My band opened the '84 Olympics in Sarajevo, also played at '80 Lake Placid Winter Games. Not bad for a "country boy".
Old 02-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
In 1963, I finally made the cheerleading squad (I was an alternate) due to one of the girls braking her leg snow skiing. I was thrilled. We had a game in Lapeer, Michigan. It was one of those foul raining almost cold enough to snow days. There was no one in the stands. Only the players and cheerleaders were insane enough to be out in that nasty weather. But this was my moment of glory, I had the cute uniform, sassy hairdo, I was a cheerleader!The tradition was that during half time the cheerleading teams did welcome cheers to the opponet team. There I was front and center. I went to do my split eagle jump, my saddle shoe got stuck and came off in the mud and I landed on my glory. Red faced and mortified, my teammates pulled me out of the mud bath and I spent the rest of the game wraped in a blanket with tears running down my face. I changed to student council after that.LOL One of the reason's that I will never forget Lapeer!!!!!
Old 02-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Hi Dannie,
Looks like we might be of a similar vintage. I graduated H.S. in 1965. I was a cheerleader of sorts as first trumpet in the pep band. Good memories!
John
Old 02-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
WKHS 1966 I know, the saddle shoes gave it away. When I think about are mid-knee length skirts and boat neck sweaters over our button down white oxford shirts next today's cheerleaders, oh my!!!!!
Old 02-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by danalee View Post
WKHS 1966 I know, the saddle shoes gave it away. When I think about are mid-knee length skirts and boat neck sweaters over our button down white oxford shirts next today's cheerleaders, oh my!!!!!
The saddle shoes were part of it, but you also mentioned making the squad in 1963!

I spent 33 years teaching, now retired and writing/playing music.

John