Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Fun & Games
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2009, 01:02 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
There are certain setbacks to traveling in Canada. I feel like I'm in a math class all day. I have to constantly multiply km. by .62. If I don't do that, I don't know what the local speed limit is (generally slower than the western US) or how far away someplace is. Since I see far fewer cops in Canada (with the possible exception of Ontario), knowing the speed limit is not too important. I also have to convert liters to gallons or quarts and money frequently. There is a palpable sense of relief when we cross in the US and see a sign telling us how many miles it is to somewhere. That's a view from the windshield.
Gene
Hi, forget the math and enjoy the scenery. Look closely to your speedometer, it has an inner and outer scale; One for MPH and one for KPH. Also most newer vehicles with digital read outs, have buttons for changeing MPG to KPL Etc. [my Lincoln does] As for gas I just fill it up, hand over my Canadian dollars, and cry for a short time and move on.

When in Canada I feel like I'm in a crime free country. Canadians correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the legal system of Canada versus U.S. is that, in the U.S. robbing a store would be 5 to 10 years in jail, but could be lower depending on the judge. In Canada the the crime for robbing a store would be 5 years and that is exactly what you get period. [note: these are just examples, not real numbers]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:31 AM   #22
Plays with old toys

1979 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Toronto , Ontario
Thumbs up

Interesting to read your reply Gene. LOL I feel similar math-relief every time I cross into the states. Speedos in my old '65 Corvette and '75 Silverado are both miles per hour (before Canada went metric) and I grew up listening to weather and measurements always expressed in fahrenheit and feet.

You know, I've never had a negative experience crossing the border on the US or the Canadian sides. Sure border tensions and security are escalated and well, these days they need to be. There are a lot of illegal drugs and weapons seized as a benefit. Entering Detroit last month for our three week road trip to the southwest, the US Customs got a real laugh at our "Don't mess with Texas" bumper sticker on a truck with Ontario tags. I had everything ready for him to go through all our gear, but he didn't, and frankly didn't have to. Coming back was like greeting a friend at our own front door. We may have to present passports now, big deal, but man I hope that border crossing goodwill never changes. I have huge respect for the job they do.

La belle provence, Quebec is spectacularly beautiful and culturally diverse, a very special Canadian treasure. People there are just as friendly as you make it possible for them to be... just like anywhere else. There is that French "refinement" thing many mistake as snobbery. Vive la difference! True they must be forceful to maintain their language and heritage. I often feel the need to exchange currency first before going there, then realize it's still Canada (which unfortunately means slightly more cost for gas and most everything else.)

More Quebecois are perfectly fluent and articulate in English as French. Most Canadians outside Quebec can't speak French, or even if they can their French is not as good as the Quebecer's English. Yup Gene, the younger people there also have that non-regional non-accent thing you mention which I agree is growing across Canada and US. When I travel in the deep south, we often hear thick accented southerners comment "Yoooor cunaydiuns? Y'all shore don't talk like one!" Then we find out they've been speaking to older generation Quebecois who mostly speak like Celine Dion. It will indeed be a sad thing when accents go away in another generation or two.

One last point on that odd professor - I've never ever heard of him or that bizarre perspective. We don't define ourselves by who we are not. I think that's bass-ackward, like telling the girl at Baskin Robbins the 30 flavours you don't want instead of the 1 you do. We are what we are, not what we are not.

Could sum it up with a comment I received at a car show by an excited young man, who exclaimed when he saw my Sting Ray "my uncle had a car like that! It was exactly the same, but totally different."

That's what Canadians and Americans are like. Exactly the same but totally different!
'75 Chevy Silverado, '65 Chevy Sting Ray Convertible
Click for Photo album
pauluptime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:26 AM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Paul, our Toyota has the km on the speedometer in such small numbers I can't read them, so .62 it is. Barb and I compete sometimes to see who can do the math faster. I suppose it's a mental game to keep us alert while crossing long expanses of the prairie provinces. When we ask a Canadian "how many miles is it to _____?" the older ones answer right away, the younger ones don't have a clue. When they say on TV how much rain will fall in centimeters, it could be 2 feet and I wouldn't have a clue. Temps in centigrade I can with effort translate—and I know 0 is cold and 20 is warm. Maybe when Americans hear a weather forecast that it's going to be 20, they think it's winter all the time in Canada when it's only winter 11 months of the year.

As I said, the people in Quebec were all friendly, the road signs and politics of Quebec seem not to be. All over the world road signs are often in the native language and English—even in Saddam Hussein's Iraq. These are small things that make a big impact and affect relationships all out of proportion to their purpose. Store signs are troublesome too when we wanted to buy something and couldn't figure out what the store sells—you can look in the window when walking, but not when driving. We did run into people in small towns who couldn't speak English. In one instance we struggled through it trying some Spanish (didn't work) until someone who did speak English spoke up. We couldn't figure out how much an ice cream cone cost but we got it figured out. I have studied Latin, Spanish and Portuguese (badly), but French is beyond me. I can read just enough of it to keep me out of jail. So for a traveler, Quebec can be a struggle.

That obscure professor—right after that Canada started the Canadian content efforts on TV and otherwise to keep Canada from being overwhelmed by American media. So maybe it had some impact.

Efforts to stop cultural change always fail. Americans try to do it too. It takes a few generations for change to happen. I think it's unfortunate Americans and our media ignore Canada. In some ways it's a more successful country and we could learn from Canada. For ex., Canadian banks did not go crazy and regulators continued to regulate and Canada was not nearly so affected by bank failure.

The same but different debate goes on. I enjoy talking with Canadians about the differences and sameness and find it to be a topic on their minds. Their beliefs about the US are generally correct and well thought out. It's good to get another perspective on ourselves.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:56 AM   #24
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Re: Canadian accents

I grew up and continue to live just a short 'stone's throw' from both Ontario and Quebec. Our televisions in the 50's and 60's were full of Canadian programs in both English and French, so we are quite used to the 'accents'. Many of the settlers in this area, including my family, were from Canada, or 'Over Home' as those of my grandparent's generation referred to it.

The Canadian English accent element most noticable to my ear is the rise at the end of statements that make it seem the speaker is asking a question.

Try this example.
American English: We are going to Grandma's house.
Canadian English: We are going to Grandma's house?

It's almost as if the speaker isn't quite sure of him/her self, and is asking the listener for confirmation. Is this a cultural lack of confidence? It's probably not, but sure sounds that way to the American ear.

OK now here's a Canadian Bumper Sticker Joke:

"No STUPID, I said REGINA!"

If you don't get it, say it a few times.
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:10 AM   #25
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Paul, our Toyota has the km on the speedometer in such small numbers I can't read them, so .62 it is. Barb and I compete sometimes to see who can do the math faster. I suppose it's a mental game to keep us alert while crossing long expanses of the prairie provinces. When we ask a Canadian "how many miles is it to _____?" the older ones answer right away, the younger ones don't have a clue.
Gene,

That's why God invented GPS: you can have it SAY the data in metric, US, gallons, Swedish, Uruguayan, or French. There are even at least two flavours of Hinglish!

Then you can swear at it in Kaybecois French: "Maudite affaire, kriss! Collin de bin!!"
Old 12-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Moncton , New Brunswick Canada
Although I find it very amusing that some Americans think we speak "Canadian" and live in igloos, in my mind what stands out is 9/11.

When disaster struck, the Canucks were shoulder-to-shoulder with the Yanks. Isn't that all that matters? eh,
love vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We have been all over Canada and have never seen an igloo. You do speak Canadian, however—English sounds a little different when a Canadian speaks. Perhaps a linguist can explain it, are you out there Lynn?

And then there's the Newfoundland version of something like English. I'm unsure what it's called.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #28
Rivet Master

It's called "Dialect". However, the history of Newfoundland, you have to research...very interesting.
And and yes when I vactioned in Vegas, they asked me what country I was from. Too funny.
Born in Fort Churchill Manitoba, polar bears, Inuit and igloos.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #29
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Canada, where the 'back-benchers' are not rookie players waiting for the coach to send them into play.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Seems to me, pronunciation and "accent on wrong syllable" has taken back seat.

Here we find ourselves again, Americans and Canadians trying to deal with another horrific catastrophe. Haiti, I have a hard time watching the news coverage, especially the children.

When push come to shove guys... we can always rely on each other, despite our differences.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #31
Rivet Master

As someone with many friends in Canada and living only about 15 minutes drive from a small Canadian City, I can testify that the small differences between our cultures are by far outweighed by the similarities.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up sctv

The best export!!
Old 01-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Take off, you Hoser!

Old 01-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #34
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Wink

Roy and I worked together in different countries.........
Old 01-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Let's not forget RED GREEN & Co.

"Keep your stick on the Ice! We're all pullin' for ya!"

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough."

"If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy."

Old 01-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #36
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The Man's Prayer: (from The Red Green Show)

I'm a man

But I can change

If I have to

I guess ...

Good bye Possum Lodge!!!
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Duct tape.........works every time.
Thanks Red, you're a hoot,
Old 02-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Tim Bits
Old 02-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #39
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Tim Ho in Bflo....best nut's around
Old 02-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Soup in a bread bowl at Tim's