Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Woohoo! A bump in the road.....

Nothing worthwhile doesn't have a few issues to sort out.

Okay....there was an issue when using the word "rally" when someone tried setting up a reservation this morning. Apparently the guy answering the phone freaked out because he didn't have word there was any "official" rally cleared with him. I called the park and told him that we would treat it now like we're just a bunch of friends getting together and camping for the weekend.

I plan on talking to the park manager this week and straightening this out and making it "official" and hopefully I can even start getting these things on their calendar.

Meanwhile, just call and make reservations just like you're coming to town to visit and there shouldn't be any problems. If there are, shoot me a message and I'll get it straightened out.

Matt
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Russellville , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriffrus View Post
It is absolutely an open rally! Come on up and join the fun!
(peeks)... You mean anyone can come play?

(never been to one)
Nomad, 2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic1 View Post

(peeks)... You mean anyone can come play?

(never been to one)
Sounds like an even better reason to me to come.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Update:

I talked to the manager of the park today. I am working on us being an "official" group by their definition, which would give us a little preferential treatment and allow us to reserve the air-conditioned meeting hall across from the bath house (it's free if we're "official") It also has a kitchen inside and a back deck. Depending on the weather, this may be a good thing to have in reserve.

Otherwise, we can just be a group of people who all happen to have Airstreams and just camped next to each other on the same weekend.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
2012 Interstate Coach
San Antonio , Texas
BWoodTX and I can't make either of the 2013 weekends, but hopefully this will continue on into Spring 2014 - working just gets in the way!!!
rosewoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewoodtx View Post
BWoodTX and I can't make either of the 2013 weekends, but hopefully this will continue on into Spring 2014 - working just gets in the way!!!
Hate to hear you're going to miss this year. There are no plans to stop having the rallies, we'll be looking for you guys in the future!
Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Okay. I went by the park and got another picture of a map

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2092970942.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	495.2 KB
ID:	177879

The highlighted route is the route to the campground and it has the bike trails and such also.

Also. We have to get ten confirmed sites before we can be "official"......

Red tape - ugh
Old 02-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
I'll be calling later today to make reservations.Wonder what happened to Keith & Jane?Surely they will be coming this year.
Tom of T&P
Wooden Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooden Rivet View Post
I'll be calling later today to make reservations.Wonder what happened to Keith & Jane?Surely they will be coming this year.
Tom of T&P
They're planning on coming. I'm a little bit jealous of the Mardi Gras parade pics she's posting.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Okay.... We have to get ten confirmed sites before we can be "official"......

Red tape - ugh
How far short of ten is it currently? with no issue for last minute cancellations it should be easy for 10 people to go ahead and call...I guess I need to call...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post

How far short of ten is it currently? with no issue for last minute cancellations it should be easy for 10 people to go ahead and call...I guess I need to call...
We currently have five confirmed and one maybe. I'm sure we can get the ten, we're three months out.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
Matt,

Just wanted to let you know that I did call and make a reservation.I did not mention that it was for an Airstream Rally though.Didn't want to get anyone too freaked out.

Tom
Old 02-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #33
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I just called and made my reservation. Look forward to meeting all of you.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
OK, reservations are officialy made. I will be coming in on the 11th and leaving Monday the 15th.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #35

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
OK, reservations are officialy made. I will be coming in on the 11th and leaving Monday the 15th.
Wish I could do that. I could only negotiate one day off from work (the 12th), and have an endocrinologist's appointment scheduled for the 15th that has alredy been postponed once. So I'll arrive the 12th, and leave the 14th, making this my shortest-duration camping trip since I bought my Airstream.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I just called and confirmed a 2 night stay, arriving late on the 12th - departing Sunday.

We hope to bring over the '63 if we can get a few things done. If not then we will need a loooong site for the 34' and truck.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #37

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I just called and confirmed a 2 night stay, arriving late on the 12th - departing Sunday.

We hope to bring over the '63 if we can get a few things done. If not then we will need a loooong site for the 34' and truck.
That's the great thing about my Interstate; the shortest site at Lincoln Parish Park is only 32 feet (unlucky site 13), according to the map, and my Interstate (23 feet) will fit it just fine. When I called for a reservation, the guy on the phone didn't ask about length, so when I check in, I'll make a point of asking for a short space in order to give folks like you all the bigger spaces.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Just got a phone call.....

Quote:
Lincoln Parish Park only allows you to reserve "a" spot, not "that" spot. Once you get here, you pick out the one you want out of the available sites left. I've begged and pleaded for them to let us reserve a block of sites, but they won't do it like that. If you look at the map AWCheif posted, the pull-through on the bottom end of the loop is a big spot and I'm hoping we can all gather around the end like we did last fall. Those are the ones with the better views anyway.

Last year we also took advantage of the shorter length of Doug and Maggies Interstate and re-purposed the unused portion of their campsite driveway to set out the tables for the potluck meals. I'm also jealous of the ability to pull over to the side of the scenic drive and easily open up and enjoy the views over a sandwich or something and not have to find 50+ feet of open curb...

However if we get the cabin, then we can move into there for the meals and gathering times.

Which brings me to a little funny phone call I got this morning. I sure didn't need to see here that you guys made your reservations, the guy you talked to on the phone called me. He started asking me if so and so was part of my group, there's people coming at on different days and from some weird area codes.....

Mister I don't know these guys personally - yet. All I can tell you is their handles on the forums and what city they say they're coming from. They'll just get here when they get here and leave when they leave. I know he means well and he wants it all done right.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
... the guy you talked to on the phone called me. He started asking me if so and so was part of my group, there's people coming at on different days and from some weird area codes.....

I spoke with Don, with all of these calls in a short period of time he is probably thinking there is some sort of invasion

The one time we stayed there, arrival was pretty late, very dark and the best site I could find was about 1/2 way down on the right. It was long enough for the 34' but dropped off very steep on each side and the rear.

Back up 2', get out and look...
Back up 2', get out and look...
repeat until the entire campground is mad at the rattlin' diesel...
Old 02-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
Sooooo, how does the campground know we have reached our count of 10 to achieve Rally status? Is this done after the fact?

Tom