Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: What would Wally do with a "Rally Crasher"?
a) turn the non-rally participants away from all rally activities (risk being viewed as unfriendly) 1 1.82%
b) turn the non-rally participants away from all expensed activities (requiring a rally sheriff "bad guy") 16 29.09%
c) charge all rally attendees "extra" to accomodate the rally-crasher (not fair!) 0 0%
d) sell rally tickets onsite with an additonal surcharge (some risk involved) 28 50.91%
e) don't tell "the public" where the rally is going to be (not practical) 0 0%
f) other, please explain in post 12 21.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 08:32 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
We should welcome any Airstreamer with open arms, especially if they aren't members of WBCCI!
Let them know how much they need to add to the kitty, and tell how happy you are to meet them.
Ken ----------amen brother!!!!-------------pieman
Old 08-07-2006, 08:46 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Freeloaders or Friends?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Ken ----------amen brother!!!!-------------pieman
Thanks Mike.

Since when did the friends we haven't met yet become freeloaders?

I am going to Creede because my wife and I felt more welcome at last year's Rocky Mountain VAC Rally than we ever felt before or since. I've been bragging about the friendly folks there who really know how to organize a rally. I would personally like to see the RV park full of Airstreamers just coming to take a peek at the wonderful old Airstreams and the nice people who own them. Sure they can't join us for the catered dinner, but I'd love to see them at the less structured events where the could throw some money in the kitty and join the party.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Old 08-07-2006, 09:13 PM   #63
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut

Here's the scenario - You have planned a rally and it is 'sold out' at a limited number of campsites which was published from the get-go. This is primarily because that's all the number of sites the campground would allow you to have for the group.

After the rally "sold out" a waiting list was started, of which 7-8 additional trailers have been added to the rally as people dropped out...which always happens, even up to the last day. Everybody on the waiting list has been allowed to attend due to cancellations.

So here's the dilemma...you KNOW there are a couple of people planning on crashing the rally...there always is. They have made their own reservations with the campground directly. The planning committee has always welcomed the public and other campers to the Open House & no cost presentations, and plans on doing the same at this rally.

why should a rally-crasher get the rally for free?

So, any advice???

Shari

well i've now re read this thread...
and agree with mike lewis...
he is exactly correct...

if it's a prepaid, members only sort of thing...
just put up a sign indicating this.

i've got no problem with being given this information that way...

i want to believe the original intention of this thread was sincere,
but now that i've reread the opening post...
well...

it WAS edited several hours later....and after 17 replies in the thread.

hmmmmmm.

i certainly didn't expect anything for free.

if there is a specific person/persons that always do mooch...
why not just speak directly with them?

...i've got a theory
later
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:22 PM   #64
_

. , .
Quote:
the planning committee is inconvienenced, why shouldn't the drop-in be?

What incentive would there be to signing up ahead of time?

They obviously knew they were coming ahead of time...the campground sells out regularly, so if you don't have a reservation ahead of time, you don't get a site.

We have actually run out of food at caterered meals...

There were several known rally-crashers in attendance, and a couple of planning people went without, as we always eat last.

Why penalize the rally attendees by charging extra to cover the extra meals...for the non-planners?

Shari
well so here in is the problem...
someone has 'suffered' in the past, gone with a meal...yadda yadda.

see suffering always comes back....we hear about it, we are made to suffer somehow in return...

does it help?
no

so if you've got 'known rally crashers'....
why not focus on them?
are these numbers multiplying?
do they tell their friends..."lets crash the airstream rally"

please...

and who's a 'non-planner'?
it was my very need to PLAN that lead me to get my own site....

doesn't that make me a 'planner'...?

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:26 PM   #65
_

. , .
Quote:

I understand if it's by happenstance...what I'm talking about is the intentional crasher.

The person who says, I don't want to play by the rules, the rules don't apply to me...or the habitual rally hopper.

I have observed one rally-hopper in particular repeatedly show up to club rallies, ALWAYS un-registered, not a club member, always really, really hungry when it comes to potlucks and meals (to a point of taking filled plates back to their trailer for tomorrow), and yet never seems to contribute anything. They know exactly what they are doing.

How would you handle that?

Shari
ok now you're calling 'em hoppers.....i take that personally!

what i find interesting is your keen sense of observation...

how does one start out with the intent to watch who is eating and how much?

interesting really......

2air'

Old 08-07-2006, 09:29 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Very interesting challenge. I have not participated in a Rally. I do not pretend to have any comments worthy of being taken as advice, so they are worth every penny you aren't paying for them. I certainly believe I understand any frustration that exists, and I do not condone the reward of an ungrateful, rude repeat offender.

It is true that every action an Airstreamer does reflects on the Brand and WBCCI. Every contact is a potential Airstream owner and/or WBCCI member, both of which benefit us all.

For those that have organized events before, what is the additional cost per paying trailer for including an additional set(s) of meals in the plan? Depending on the additional cost, there may be worth in over planning to ensure enough food for crashers.

What if we plan for crashers and they don't show, or they do show and pay for the food they consume? Why not build goodwill into each rally? If they offer to pay, let them contribute and use the extra as a donation to a local church or another option to which the group agrees. If crashers don't show and you have too much food, maybe there is an option for using the extra food to do a good deed.

I have noticed that many camping trips have someone in the park that is younger, or a large family, interesting couple, or in some other way someone deserving of kindness or friendliness. Maybe there is someone in the park that is a potential future Airstream owner, and this is your chance to make a positive impression.

Maybe donate extra food to a food shelf. Maybe work with the local church to donate a food basket to a family that is in need, maybe serve a Sunday "Meals on Wheels" to someone's elderly mother or father in need.

I'll share an example of goodwill that I will always remember. My wife and I (newlyweds at the time) were camping in a tent on a hot 4th of July weekend, and a friendly person in the campground shared his extra steak with us. These people welcomed us into their camper and made us feel as though we were worthy of kindness. Who doesn't want to feel that way. We left this campground thinking only about the best in humans. In this world today, that person gave us the gift of a rare mental oasis - hope. This is only one of many camping examples I can offer. I'm sure many of you have stories of your own.

Make no mistake, I agree with the philosophy of...
- Freeload once: "Welcome to the club."
- Freeload twice: "Glad to have you again, since the food is already paid for, are you interested in contributing to our charity donation?" "We'd love to contact you and let you know about our next rally, can we get your mailing or email address?" (of course knowing that the next mailing of rally information will include the cost of participation)
- Freeload a third time: "Great to see you again, the rally fee for this event is $__.__, we hope you'll decide to join us.)

We have so much, and life is too short to live in frustration of freeloading. Maybe there is a way to reframe the situation, and turn it into something that feels good.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

Old 08-07-2006, 09:43 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Shari, luv ...

1) Continue to knock on the doors of new Airstreamers with "Please come check us out; the only event I can't invite you to is the catered dinner because that was prepaid"
2) Turn away known freeloaders with "We can no longer accommodate latecomers"
3) Ignore the defenders of freeloaders below
4) Save a space for me at one of your rallies!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:45 PM   #68
_

. , .
Quote:
I would hope someone in that circumstance would let the planners know ahead of time so they would know what to expect and plan accordingly.

This is NOT a Denver Unit issue, it's any rally...WBCCI, VAC, Forum, ???

Shari
well shari i did let the planners know i had a reservation....
BECAUSE i wanted them to know i would be in the park...
not to mooch food.

any time some one declares.......
"this is not a (insert chapter) issue".....

it is exactly a "insert chapter" issue......

come on, you brought it up, it's your unit, so just own up to the issue.
that's not a bad thing really...and it's honest.
you folks aren't stupid...
did you really need a poll?
if so, the unit leadership is in trouble...

now looking at it from another POSITIVE perspective.....

if ya know people are coming who aren't 'official' why not...
-contact them and offer the rally package
-contact them and encourage vac affiliate membership
-contact them and explain the rally cost issues
-contact them and explain what they can or cannot attend?
-contact them period!

i completely understand the limited number of sites given to VAC,

so why not ENCOURAGE folks who are on the waiting list to get their own spots and EXPAND the rally? wouldn't that mean more total airstreamers?

well.....here's why.

the dcvac is on the hook for slots,
they know cancellations will happen,
they want a waiting list to fill the cancellations
so they aren't on the hook for slots anymore...

so who are the REAL DEADBEATS?
the >10% who cancelled?
or the folks who want to come so much, they secure their own site?

now that i think of it,
why isn't your poll about what to do with the "PEOPLE WHO CANCEL"

perhaps they should STILL pay the rally fee...22$ ???
i'll bet it is much easier to spot someone who "cancels" habitually...

i can assure you that had ANYONE with dcvac contacted me and asked...

would you like the 'rally package'....meals, drinks, prizes...for XXamount.

i would have paid for it gladly just to support the local unit...

and i don't even WANT your catered food!

cheers
2air'

Old 08-07-2006, 09:47 PM   #69
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
2air--what kind of wine do you serve ??? I hope not the cheap stuff!!What a great disortation !!!!!!!!----------------pieman
hi pieman.....

when the wine is free,
it is already cheap stuff, right?

cheers
2air'

Old 08-07-2006, 09:51 PM   #70
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan

Since when did the friends we haven't met yet become freeloaders?

I am going to Creede because my wife and I felt more welcome at last year's Rocky Mountain VAC Rally than we ever felt before or since.

I've been bragging about the friendly folks there who really know how to organize a rally.

I would personally like to see the RV park full of Airstreamers just coming to take a peek at the wonderful old Airstreams and the nice people who own them.

Sure they can't join us for the catered dinner, but I'd love to see them at the less structured events where the could throw some money in the kitty and join the party.
well klevan....
you nailed it, this is my view too.

but there may be bigger issues at stake....like CONTROL!

cheers
2air'

Old 08-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #71
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
how does one start out with the intent to watch who is eating and how much?

interesting really......

2air'
Believe me, if you are responsible for feeding a group, whether it be a potluck, a host-prepared meal, or a catered meal, you notice. Lots of other folks will notice as well.

Personally, I like the idea of bracelets, just like a music festival. Pre-registered attendees get non-removable bracelets. If food supplies warrent, non-pre-registered guests can pay for a bracelet on the spot. If food supplies are limited, late comers are simply out of luck.

I am going to suggest the bracelet idea for the 2007 Texas Vintage Rally. With an expected 100 rigs and at lest one catered meal, we will have to set up some controls. We certainly will not recognize everyone by sight. I fully expect that some non-pre-registered folks will appear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	24464  
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-07-2006, 10:03 PM   #72
_

. , .
i'm still laughing at the poll options...
seems you need a 'rally sheriff-bad guy'

hey instead of the meal fee,
how about just hire me,
i saw great examples

so i'm trained now...
2 be a great bad guy...
it's easy with the wbcci training program
offered at this years international !
treating people badly was an art form.
and i'm a quick learner.

cheers
2air'

Old 08-07-2006, 10:15 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
the CORRECT answer is "D"

Long before I started this thread, the planning committee discussed the scenarios that have played out at past rallies and potential for new situations to arise. Many of the comments that have surfaced here are the same ones that have been discussed.

It was decided after much discussion, just as polarized as we've seen here over the last 26 hours, that the best way to handle it is to offer meal ticket name badges on a first come, first served basis to those wanting to join in and participate fully. They are limited to the number of "extra" catered meals we are willing and our budget is able to handle.

Thank you all for your input.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Closed Thread