Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2015, 07:09 AM   #401
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjjef View Post
We are new to Canopener and we are looking forward to meeting everyone and getting some warm weather (hopefully). We are also new to retirement and the ability to keep moving. We would like to continue trip after Canopener going either west or southeast along Fl coast. Does anyone have recommendations for campgrounds? I know I should have done this along time ago and sites are booking up fast.Not used to free time!
We retired several years ago, and in fact will head west (REALLY west, well beyond FL) after the Canopener. For more info on potential places to go check out my blog (travelwiththeslowskys.com) - you can see our trip out west from last year where we spent several months in southern CA and AZ. If you choose to stay in FL, my recommendation is to head further south, due to temperatures. But finding open sites in campgrounds in FL in the winter can be a challenge.

How much planning you choose to do (or not do) is a personal choice. Safe travels, congratulations on retirement, and have fun!!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #402
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1971 27' Overlander
1973 31' Sovereign
Griffin , Georgia
I'd like to come and the campground is full. Is there a waiting list? Or a way to get notified if someone has to cancel?
paddle whisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #403
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddle whisp View Post
I'd like to come and the campground is full. Is there a waiting list? Or a way to get notified if someone has to cancel?
There will be more cancellations. Keep an eye on this thread for those announcements and then hope you beat someone else to the spot. It is sort of like eBay sniping. Good luck.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #404
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWeilhammer View Post
I am scheduling the 2017 Rally schedule for our WBCCI unit. Does anyone know the dates for the 2017 Canopener?
I don't recall anyone answering this question. I used to be able to guess, but now I just wait for an announcement. That being said however, since Jan 1,2017 is on a Sunday, I would expect it to be on the 6/7/8 weekend.

Phil

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:59 PM   #405
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Thats just a guess, because I am not in charge, or in any way planning or directing the CanOpener...I try to attend, and offer sound reinforcement equipment and setup.

Phil

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #406
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Whoever volunteers to be the leader of the rally next year gets to set the date. Typically the rally leader publishes a date for the following year rally on AirForums a week or two after the current year rally ends.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:26 PM   #407
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Estill Springs , Tennessee
Thank you for the suggestions. Have looked at your blog and started reading this morning.
rjjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:46 AM   #408
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
Florida 55's recommendations are spot on. I'll add that if you visit or pass through Mobile, be sure to check out Gulfquest which just opened. It is the maritime museum for the Gulf of Mexico and is located in the river downtown.
As far as additional campgrounds (he covered many of my favorites), I like Turkey Lake in Orlando (city park). Almost all of the state parks are great. A hidden gem that may have availability is Stephen Foster state park near White Springs.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:01 AM   #409
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Fabulous news!

[QUOTE=StanandLynn;1703807]We are looking for a site if someone needs to let one go.

Yay!! So glad to hear y'all are coming back, not only to the Can Opener but to the Airstream world too
Looking forward to seeing you both,
Annette
Old 11-04-2015, 09:08 AM   #410
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Does anyone really know anything...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWeilhammer View Post
I am scheduling the 2017 Rally schedule for our WBCCI unit. Does anyone know the dates for the 2017 Canopener?
Or does anyone really know what day it is..... (perhaps dating myself with my music tastes....)
Ahhh, how deep for such a shallow mind such as mine........
BUT, to answer the $64K question: Nope, don't know. It is up to the 2017 Can Opener rally coordinator. Typically it tends to be the second weekend in January, but what do I know, we've only been to 8 of the 10 Can Openers
Something else to consider in your rally planning, many of the CanOpenians tend to come early or stay late to the Can Opener rally. I look forward to seeing you Jim at the Can Opener, 10th Anniversary Edition !!

Annette
Old 11-04-2015, 09:21 AM   #411
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Annette, you missed an excellent Alumalina.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #412
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
2016 Can Opener Schedule!

Hello to all you CanOpenians out there! We are T-minus 2 months and counting to 2016 Can Opener Week - woohoo - I can feel the excitement building, or perhaps it's my blood pressure rising wanting to get everything done That being said, A BIG thank you to NilesRob(Karen) and Panama Red for handling the name tags and rally maps this year! And for all of those who want to help with Can Opener 2016 with set ups, clean ups and take downs, please PM myself or Joe. Those of you who have helped in the past, you know who you are, I'll be in contact and hunting you down shortly

So here goes with the Officially unofficial rally schedule of the Can Opener 2016 [disclaimer: always remember, the Can Opener rally schedule is like the pirate code........ it's more like a "guideline", arrggghh]

Thursday, January 7th:
*Chili Night at the club house and the amphitheater - sign ups to follow.
*Music Under the Stars - provided and funded by the fabulous Friends Of The Park at Topsail.

Friday, January 8th:
*Annual Corn Hole Tournament located ON Wild Oak Lane in the C loop (100's), beginning approximatley at Noon (arrrggh, remember the code)
*New this year - Open Mic Friday Night at the Amphitheater. For all of you attending that has the gift of music (that would NOT be me!) this is your time to entertain your fellow CanOpenians! - sign ups to follow.

Saturday, January 9th:
*Breakfast with the Ranger - you must sign up directly with the park for this event and seating is limited. This event is sponsored by The Friends Of The Park. (We love them)
*Saturday afternoon it's the All Aluminum All The Time Parade Of Air Streams Open Trailer Event. If you love to show off your fabulous Air Stream (Hellerrrr, of course you do, we're talking Air Streamers here!), then this is your time to shine - or polish! In every welcome packet there will be a sign (here's your sign..) that you will use and put out on your site or trailer IF you choose to open your trailer for all to view. Consider this event a traveling party around the park!
*Saturday Eve Potluck Extravaganza at the club house AND at the Amphitheater. Sign ups to follow.
*Saturday Night Live Entertainment - details to follow.
(Wow, Saturday is a busy day!)

Sunday, January 10th:
*Pajama Party Potluck Breakfast at the club house AND the Amphitheater. Sign ups to follow.

*Parade wave good-byes to all the happy Canopenian campers that will be leaving us on Sunday.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #413
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh h.....

Hope y'all had as fun of a Halloween as I did! Actually had one kid trip and fall trying to get away from our incredibly scary house... We had flying Dementors, Zombies, Demonic Candy Lady, and a dude in a hockey mask that was just the final straw for quite a few trick or treaters. Surprisingly, this was our first year that no moms complained about how bad we were scaring their darling babies... Hey, for the top shelf candy we hand out, you have to brave the gauntlet. Now, it's on to CanOpener business...

After sobering up from the previous testing of The Official CanOpener Select Draft... we had to make up a new batch. Testing begins Friday. Will report back here with the results... Stuff's evaporating or something...

I've taken the liberty of re-assigning camping partners, and, seeing as how I don't know the majority of you, this should be interesting for all involved. Just check the map to see who your new camping partner will be...

If you see something incorrect on the maps, go and check your RSVP first, and if you have all of your info in the RSVP correct, don't hesitate to message me.

Link to the current Loop 103 Map:

Canopener 2016 - Loop 103

Link to the current Outside Loop 103 Map:

Canopener 2016 - Outside Loop 103

Link to the Rally Registration (RSVP) Page:

Canopener 2016 Link to RSVP

Things seem to REALLY be getting out of hand around the 112 camp site... Flamingos and goats running rampant. It's total chaos over there...

-Red, back from the dead...
Old 11-04-2015, 12:20 PM   #414
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Thanks Annette for the schedule update! So excited!

We (Hubs, the kid and I) will help any way we can so just point us at it. Not promising quality but brute force we can definitely provide. Throw a few beers at him and hubs could probably move the world.

Melissa - wondering if the attack goats could be drafted for beer hauling
Old 11-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #415
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Looking at the 103 map - Annette is going to need that brute force.

Annette the rampant flamingos have flipped your trailer!
Old 11-05-2015, 07:27 AM   #416
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We are leaving for Canopener on 11/12/15! We have a few stops along the way though. Coming from Roosevelt, AZ.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:28 AM   #417
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rising Fawn , Georgia
[QUOTE=AirHeadsRus;1705998]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanandLynn View Post
We are looking for a site if someone needs to let one go.

Yay!! So glad to hear y'all are coming back, not only to the Can Opener but to the Airstream world too
Looking forward to seeing you both,
Annette
Thanks, Annette. We're excited about being bonafide Airstreamers once again and hopefully looking forward to being a fellow CanOpenian! Looking forward to seeing you and Joe and everyone else!
AIR #17143
TAC #G-15
StanandLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:51 AM   #418
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
We will need to cancel our reservations. If someone is interested, we can coordinate our canceling with your reserving. You can email me at LauraShirley56@gmail.com

Laura & Tom
Old 11-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #419
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
I received an email from a forum member and have canceled our reservations. I hope you all have a great time - sure wish we could be there!

Laura & Tom
Old 11-05-2015, 08:14 AM   #420
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rising Fawn , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax gal View Post
I received an email from a forum member and have canceled our reservations. I hope you all have a great time - sure wish we could be there!

Laura & Tom
Thanks, Laura! We have now booked site 50 for Thursday through Sunday. Party time!!!
AIR #17143
TAC #G-15
StanandLynn is offline   Reply With Quote