Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2002, 09:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
window shields

I don't know what else to call the covers for the front and back windows that fit into those outer hinges. I don't even have glass in my windows and just have 1/4" plywood over the back one.

I don't have access to a dealer or catalog and there aren't any other airstreams in my area and I have just had this trailer for 9 days. What I want to know is what these are made of usually so I can go about making something to fit in there that is more attractive than some old signboard.

I saw some in a rally picture that looked like striped awnings...like canvas that I liked....that was on the rear window. I assume the ones on front cover and protects the window from breakage so it could be made from metal mesh with shade fabric covering it and framed with aluminum u-stuff and attached to the hinge.

I haven't seen these mentioned but every trailer has them so I thought I would ask.....and maybe someone could tell me what to call them to start.
Old 08-17-2002, 10:23 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Zip-Dee awnings

You mean the awnings? they dont protect the window from breakage but do provide shade. Some trailers only have them on the curb side others have them all around. Commonly referred to as Zip-Dee's.
There is a rock guard that you can install over the front window that will help protect the window from being broken by a thrown rock. They are available from AS dealers.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 11:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Our '64 GlobeTrotter has a ribbed fiberglass cover over the front window which also acts as an awning when parked...

Shari

P.S. Zip Dee is a brand name of a fabric awning that is "acceptable" on Airstreams...
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 05:43 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
so.... we are talking about the outer hinge over the window on the very front [and back]where I have seen Jalousie looking covers on older models? So...They mostly put covers there for shade? I thought it was to keep rocks from breaking the window.

Then I could do something decorative like a lightweight plexiglass or fiberglass sheet there? It has props th hold it open right. Mine is missing so many parts...I have to imagine some things.

I look forward to getting the A/S together enuf to go to a rally and see how these things are supposed to look. That's what I get for buying one without really knowing anything about them...but we do that all the time and it has always worked out before. Bought a sailboat and taught ourselves to sail it!!!
Old 08-18-2002, 09:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Here's the dual-purpose fiberglass shield/awning on our GlobeTrotter...

Shown in this photo in the closed position, as a rock shield...

Shari
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2002, 09:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
...and open as an awning ~

S~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	max1.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	440  
Old 08-18-2002, 09:44 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
Talking

Thanks...that's beautiful...just what I wanted to know...did you build it?

I really want to build for it as much as possible....a compulsion we both have that is addictive....must be some name for it....and what is so ridiculous is that the more money we have the more we are do it your selvers....and I know there are others like that. By the time you are old enuf to know how to do it all you can't resist the satisfaction it brings.

This A/S sure brings new opportunities for opening new cans of worms!!! I love this BB!!! I must get ALL the Bath/head fiberglass walls and fixtures we disassembled out yesterday washed tho!!!

Great pix....I tried the bullet url thing but couldn't get it to work and my pix were a bit large but here is one...see the trashy window? The A/S was just $300!!!
Old 08-18-2002, 10:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
No Lexxy, we didn't build it...it's original.

We are in the middle of our exterior restoration/polishing & fixing this is on our "things to do" list. The fiberglass either needs to be refinished or turned over beacuse the fibers are showing through & it's kinda rough, not a big deal, my husband used to glass surfboards. Also, if you look real close, there are these orange clamps holding it open now...the arm brackets are missing some screws (or something?) to hold it open. Not a big deal, we just haven't begun work on the windows/doors/seals yet. And awnings are on our "out there" list of things to do...probably not this season, were having too much fun using it.

Actually, we were at a rally last weekend and saw some rather intrigueing window awnings that were fabric that just snaps onto the window frame itself. The male part of the snap is attached to the frame with a rivet and the female snap part is on the fabric...you just snap them on & open the windows and there you have it! Pretty cool...& much more ecomonical than Zip Dee's for all the windows, that's for sure! The fabric matched the curbside patio awning that was either a Zip Dee or something similar, I don't remember.

We are both pretty handy "do-it-yourselfers" too. If you would like, I can take some pictures of our fiberglass & frame so you have a better idea of how to go about building something like this...just let me know, I can send them to you via email offline or eventually, we will add a page to our website as this becomes a project.

Good luck!

Shari

P.S. Such a deal at $300! You sound as though you have already gotten $300 of enjoyment from it ~ keep up the good work!
Old 08-18-2002, 10:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
I just looked at your linked pictures on the VAClist again...it looks like you may have the frameless Corning windows in which case the snap on awnings I mentioned probably wouldn't work for you.

Also, unfortunately, I don't think you can get the curved glass windows any longer (either that or they are very costly!)...I'm not sure, but I recall seeing several threads on this either here or on the VAClist. Maybe, if you're lucky you can find them in a salvage yard...I'll let someone else that has this type of window address this subject more thoroughly...

Shari
Old 08-18-2002, 12:48 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
It's just the front and back windows I want them for and they are flat and I did find that the replacement windows aren't as bad as I thought...$80 for the big ones and $55 for the curved small ones at Inland for the scratch resistant plastic stuff. We have been waiting to make sure our rust problems aren't too drastic before ordering them but it looks like we can handle it all.

I would love any pictures...you can use my Lexxy@comcast.net email if you want.

We finally got the shower out today and I am almost finished scrubbing all the plastic stuff in almost 100º!!!

I will continue to read here at this BB and look for your comments...nice to meet you...
Old 08-18-2002, 03:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Lexxy.
The front window cover, and rear window if you wish, is called a "rockguard."
They are available from Airstream dealers.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 06:07 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
But that's a problem cuz I'm not near any Airstream dealers and that's why I was asking here. I would love to look at some so I could fabricate something similar but I was on the right track. It just made sense with the front window to protect from rocks, didn't it?

I was going to use punched or perforated metal but I think I will go for something more asthetic. I really want an American flag on the back window....may have to decopage it to a screen of some sort....all in the adventure....and we are up to our necks!!!

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-18-2002, 06:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Look at the end of this thread

http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=1402

It is active right now, titled antenna mounting. Shows several pictures of a home made rock guard, how it is mounted, etc.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 06:30 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
WOW!!! I love it!!! Thanks, John...someone was a great metal craftsman.

I just love this BB...the pictures and folks are just awesome and that's not just a word!!! The ideas are so good. I can't wait to read more. Maybe we WILL be able to whip this baby into the comfy little buggy we imagined when we bought it.

Thanks for referring me. I might have found it if I hadn't scrubbed ALL the plastic and fiberglass head fixtures we removed in 104º today. Must drink more water....