Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2008, 06:43 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
St Cloud , Minnesota
Window Guard Gasket Position

I have been having a leakage problem in the front of my 85 Sovereign any time we get excessive rain. Investigation brought me to the front window guards. The gaskets on the wing pieces have a gap at the bottom of the window and are dry. The center window guard has a wide gap in the gasket at the top near the hinge . There is no gap in the gasket at the bottom of the window. I am thinking that the window actually fills up with water and then leaks into the trailer.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks.
WBCCI #7528
MN Unit
pyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Can you adjust the top rock guard inward at the top? I would also check the clearance lights above the window, you have three holes per light that can leak water. Failing everything else, you can always take a razor blade, and cut a small gap in the gasket at the bottom of the rock guard for the excess rain water to drain out of. You may have a bad window gasket along with everything else. Can you use a garden hos and assistant? Have the assistant spray the window area, starting at the bottom, and watch from inside until you see water.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyanke View Post
I have been having a leakage problem in the front of my 85 Sovereign any time we get excessive rain. Investigation brought me to the front window guards. The gaskets on the wing pieces have a gap at the bottom of the window and are dry. The center window guard has a wide gap in the gasket at the top near the hinge . There is no gap in the gasket at the bottom of the window. I am thinking that the window actually fills up with water and then leaks into the trailer.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks.
The rockguards should have small gaps in them, eswpecially at the bottom, for drainage.

Since your trailer is 24 years old, I would suspect bad window gaskets and perhaps even improper window latch adjustments, that could be caused by old gaskets.

We changed the original gaskets to a better style, which is "D" shaped.

It does a much better job of sealing the windows.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
St Cloud , Minnesota
Thanks

Now I know there should be a gap at the bottom. I am wondering that when a PO installed the guard they may have put the center one on upside down. That would explain why the gasket gap is at the top under the hinge. Easier to mount the hinge where there is no gasket.
WBCCI #7528
MN Unit
pyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyanke View Post
Thanks

Now I know there should be a gap at the bottom. I am wondering that when a PO installed the guard they may have put the center one on upside down. That would explain why the gasket gap is at the top under the hinge. Easier to mount the hinge where there is no gasket.
The gasket at the top, is supposed to have a 2 to 3 foot gap.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote