Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Anchorage , Alaska
Unconventional Rock Guard

I have found the 3m film rock protection to be less than adequate and did nor want the expense of the metal rock guards that would not really address the issue. I am a boondocker and after a recent winter drive down the Alaska highway the film had to go and the front of the trailer was badly pockmarked.
Line-X Bedliner to the rescue, cost was reasonable and a lifetime guarantee
Will try and attach before and after pics,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	513B70D7-6549-4570-BF06-CEECE338A702.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	307380   Click image for larger version

Name:	8B94ACB7-6176-4B15-91DC-943EE44C681B.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	307381  

spaceship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Did you do the banana wraps and belly pan as well? I'm interested in how well this will hold up, and how well it will adhere to aluminum. I also wonder about doing a coat of white on the roof.

Also, was it a high temp or cold application? I think the high temp can go to 210 or so, and I wonder if there's any chance of warping with thin aluminum skins.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Anchorage , Alaska
I only had the front of the trailer coated. They used a special prep for aluminum adhesion before spraying on the membrane. The coating covers the seam on the lower ‘rub rail’ as I had concerns that the dents would break the existing seal and water might get into the floor.
Temperature questions would best be addressed to your local Line-X dealer.
It was suggested at an RV show that I put large metal rock guards on and no one would see.....but I am more addressing the problem for my usage. The color was a bit darker than expected but not offensive to me. They say the only thing that would damage it is a pallet board with a proud nail being slung across the surface but it can take a hammer blow (I don’t intend to test that) I like the lifetime guarantee and am stoked and relieved that this option crossed my path!
spaceship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Yeah, one of the main considerations for Line-X products is actually the installer. There seems to be a HUGE amount of variance in the quality of the product depending on the installer (application). There are different methods at different costs, but as with most things, experience with the product is the the biggest factor.

I just disassembled the belly pan of a 1976 Excella 500, and there were places where the aluminum had literally disappeared into nothing. There are very few places where the aluminum could be reused (even for scraps to patch things). It's a testament to the fact the aluminum isn't the most durable substance, and not so well suited for the underside of our Airstreams. That said, you can't beat the weight! [smile]

Thus, it would be fantastic to find a material that would work well to protect the aluminum panels on the underside of Airstreams. This is especially important as I continue to design with "improved boondocking" in mind. Judging by the photo of the front panel on your AS, it looks like you are definitely in the "extreme boondocking" category, which is my ultimate goal for these builds.

Thanks for posting, and keep us updated as to how it holds up!
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
North East , Maryland
Thank you for posting this! We recently acquired a 1988 Excella that does not have the front protective skins. Based on receipts found under the sofa and behind some cabinets she has been coast to coast (from NJ to AK) and seen a lot of miles. That being said, her clean-up is coming along nicely. We have been discussing using the same fix for the front and also to protect the already hail-damaged (Texas) roof. This old girl is getting restored where possible; but will retain her "battle scars".
Ladyfish is offline   Reply With Quote