Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Williamsport , Maryland
Three Piece Rock Guard,Best Price ??

Hello ,I hope everyone had a great Holiday. I also hope everyone is gearing up for the New Year. I have a question and please accept my apologies if this has been asked prior. I was recently reading a Rockguard installation article for the Airstream Argosy Model. The author of the article was modifying a very nice 3 piece rockguard to fit the Argosy Minuet which is the model I have. This guard consisted of 2 aluminim wrap around corner frames and the center frame whihc must be shortened to fit the Minuet. the frames included smoke lexian glass or some other material. After a lengthy internet search I was able to find this same or simliar model rockguard at only one seller and the price was higher than I expected at over eight hundred US dollars. It is a very nice kit but I expected it to be more around $500 us or less. Can any here on the board guide me to sellers that offer this kit for lower prices than the one seller I found ???
Many Thanks and Happy Holidays to All !!!
Randy
Arrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrie View Post
Hello ,I hope everyone had a great Holiday. I also hope everyone is gearing up for the New Year. I have a question and please accept my apologies if this has been asked prior. I was recently reading a Rockguard installation article for the Airstream Argosy Model. The author of the article was modifying a very nice 3 piece rockguard to fit the Argosy Minuet which is the model I have. This guard consisted of 2 aluminim wrap around corner frames and the center frame whihc must be shortened to fit the Minuet. the frames included smoke lexian glass or some other material. After a lengthy internet search I was able to find this same or simliar model rockguard at only one seller and the price was higher than I expected at over eight hundred US dollars. It is a very nice kit but I expected it to be more around $500 us or less. Can any here on the board guide me to sellers that offer this kit for lower prices than the one seller I found ???
Many Thanks and Happy Holidays to All !!!
Randy
Randy.

The price you located, is the best price in the country.

Airstreams suggest price for that rockguard is $1073.00.

The bottom line price you would like to pay, won't happen for a new rockguard.

Maybe you can find one from a salvaged unit someplace, but I doubt it.

Sorry, but dealers don't control Airstream's prices.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Williamsport , Maryland
Hi Andy , My thanks for the reply. In reality in this case I will probably end up going the $800 plus. Just hate the thought of paying the price anbd still having to do the work to cut it down to fit the Minuet. Would be happier if it was a direct fit out of the box,cant have it all though

Take Care ,
Randy
Arrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Randy,

See my post #25 in this thread for a comparison of pricing from 6 different dealers:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f469...s-46690-2.html

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
We bought the rockguard for our Minuet on ebay from Airstream. It was lightly used and they described it perfectly - very satisfied - just looked like it had been out in the weather for a short time...

Total cost, including shipping, was $386.47.

The contact person at Airstream indicated that they occasionally had good quality used rockguards to sell.

If you are not in a hurry, you might keep an eye on ebay...
Old 12-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Wow, great price! Did they have you place the order through a dealer, or did they deal directly with you?

Or maybe you were visiting, and getting some work done?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Rock Guards

I built this rock guard in my shop. Total cost $210.00.
Materials:
Aluminum flat stock
Aluminum angle
1/8" fiberglass sheeting
Stainless steel hinges
Pop rivets
Rubber hoodlatches
Attached Thumbnails
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I built this rock guard in my shop. Total cost $210.00.
Materials:
Aluminum flat stock
Aluminum angle
1/8" fiberglass sheeting
Stainless steel hinges
Pop rivets
Rubber hoodlatches
Hi Doug -
Can you be more explicit about how you made your rock guard? All I need is a small flat one for the front window. I haven't taken measurements yet but will do that and take a picture of it. It looks like it used to have something over the window but it is long gone.

Thanks
Lindy
lucymcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Frame Details

Hi Lindy;
Here is a sketch of how the frame is assembled. Mine does not have the wire screen, it was something I thought about after building it. Aluminum hardware cloth is what I would use in the future. I fastened a 1 1/2" Aluminum angle to the skin of the trailer then attached the rock guard with 4 stainless steel hinges. All of the rivets are 3/16" by whatever length was necessary. I'll see if I can post an additional photo of the rubber hold downs. The frame is assembled with the angle going back around the outside edge, I think if you look at my previous post you can see that. The fiberglass material (you could use aluminum sheeting, it would match your trailer) or ( black lexan "sun glasses" effect) is the stuff used in shower stalls. I cut the corners of the frame at a 45 degree angle. If you want more photos, let me know.
You could use the rubber latches to hold your door closed as well, they might look better than the red handled clamps I used.
The reason I used the fiberglass is that it comes close to color matching the trailer.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: bmp Aluminum Rock Guard Frame.bmp (576.1 KB, 651 views)
Old 03-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1978 25' Tradewind
NEW LENOX , Illinois
Nice design on the Argosy rock guard. I am going to do that,,, once everything else is done.

Can I hijack this thread for a moment?

Since no one has answered I will proceed.....

Mr. Twinkie,

I have the same awning you do, in parts and pieces, that I would like to cut down and install on my '78 tradewind. Could you send me, or post, some pictures of the connection points - bottom, middle brace, and top?
And - what are the 'red handles'?
And - can you give me a dimension from the bottom bracket to the middle bracket?
And - does the top roller end cap set into any kind of cradle?
And - any words of wisdom?

Thanks. Sorry for the hijack. Please resume original discussion.

John H.
johnhejmanowski@gmail.com
johnhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
Hi Lindy;
Here is a sketch of how the frame is assembled. Mine does not have the wire screen, it was something I thought about after building it. Aluminum hardware cloth is what I would use in the future. I fastened a 1 1/2" Aluminum angle to the skin of the trailer then attached the rock guard with 4 stainless steel hinges. All of the rivets are 3/16" by whatever length was necessary. I'll see if I can post an additional photo of the rubber hold downs. The frame is assembled with the angle going back around the outside edge, I think if you look at my previous post you can see that. The fiberglass material (you could use aluminum sheeting, it would match your trailer) or ( black lexan "sun glasses" effect) is the stuff used in shower stalls. I cut the corners of the frame at a 45 degree angle. If you want more photos, let me know.
You could use the rubber latches to hold your door closed as well, they might look better than the red handled clamps I used.
The reason I used the fiberglass is that it comes close to color matching the trailer.
Thanks Doug. I do have some questions though (what a surprise, huh?). 1. Why would you put the wire hardware cloth in there? I was hoping I could do something that would be transparent because with the curtains open front and back, I can see all the way through the trailer when I'm towing. I like to be able to see through it to see what's behind me.

2. Does your rock guard come off completely or does it flip up?

3. Where do you get those cool rubber holders?

4. Would I attach the angle piece on the trailer itself or on the window frame? Could you take a picture of how it's attached?

5. If it isn't too much trouble, could you send more pictures?

The mobile RV guy came today and checked out the propane and put in the propane light. The stove, oven, light, heater and fridge all actually work! That's good news for sure.

He will be back next week to check out my axle, springs (he said they looked good) and brakes.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
1. Why would you put the wire hardware cloth in there? To reduce the chance of a big rock getting thru to the glass.

2. Does your rock guard come off completely or does it flip up? The wings fold in to the center. Don't normally lift the center up because of wind, but it does lift up.

3. Where do you get those cool rubber holders? I got mine at a farm implement dealer near here. But the photo is from a place called P&S Travel Trailer Service in Helena, Ohio. The part # is 31-1401.

4. Would I attach the angle piece on the trailer itself or on the window frame? Could you take a picture of how it's attached? Mine is attached to the skin above the window frame, if you go to the pics of the rock guard above you can see the angle just below the Argosy emblem. I attached it using #10 stainless steel screws and sealant. Most of them I've seen are attached above the frame.
There is a video showing one being installed, I think it's under the Argosy Trailer list here on the forum. But it may be under the rock guard heading.

5. If it isn't too much trouble, could you send more pictures? Yes, first chance I get.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Do you think this will work?

I've been thinking of a way to make a rock guard that I can see through and was wondering if you think it would work to attach a piece of plexiglass directly to the window frame using maybe 1/2" spacers between the frame and the plexi? That way the window would still open and I could see through it while towing. I can't attach anything above the window because there isn't room between the frame and the thing that's over it (what's that called?). The window frame is 41" x 18" and is completely flat. In the picture it looks like it is in 3 parts but the window is all one piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front window.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	124873  
Old 03-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucymcdog View Post
I've been thinking of a way to make a rock guard that I can see through and was wondering if you think it would work to attach a piece of plexiglass directly to the window frame using maybe 1/2" spacers between the frame and the plexi? That way the window would still open and I could see through it while towing. I can't attach anything above the window because there isn't room between the frame and the thing that's over it (what's that called?). The window frame is 41" x 18" and is completely flat. In the picture it looks like it is in 3 parts but the window is all one piece.
Lucy.
That part over the window is called a "drip cap".

A good shop could remove it and install a rockguard in place of it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Awning

johnhh:
I have the same awning you do, in parts and pieces, that I would like to cut down and install on my '78 tradewind. Could you send me, or post, some pictures of the connection points - bottom, middle brace, and top? See attached photos.

And - what are the 'red handles'? They lock the door down when traveling.

And - can you give me a dimension from the bottom bracket to the middle bracket? 51 1/2" from the bottom of the lower bracket to the bottom of the middle bracket. There is a track attached to the skin at the top could not get an accurate measurement.

And - does the top roller end cap set into any kind of cradle? See pics

And - any words of wisdom Keep the shiny side up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Awning Front.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	124893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning Rear.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	124894  

Name:	Front Awning Arm.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	124895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lower Bracket Front.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	124896  

Old 03-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Rock Guard

Lindy;
Here are the pics. There are 5 stainless steel screws holding the angle to the skin. 4 Stainless steel hinges hold the rock guard to the angle.
I would not try to attached the rock guard to the window, it may break in the process. If the drip cap doesn't stick out more than 1 1/2", the angle could go above it.
I would not recommend plexiglass; Lexan is far superior. I am considering replacing the fiberglass in the middle section with Lexan, it would let more light in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rock Guard Top Left.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	124897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rock Guard Top Right.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	124898  

Old 03-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1978 25' Tradewind
NEW LENOX , Illinois
Please excuse another thread interruption....

Mr. Twinkie,

When I look at the 'Awning Front' picture I can see the canvas bead rail extending under the awning arm. But looking just to the left side of the awning arm, under the awning roll end cap, there seems to be something else. Maybe something for the awning end cap to set on? Maybe something to catch the awning end cap stud and prevent it from unrolling in high winds?

Thanks.

John H
Old 03-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Awning

johnhh;
Here's a shot of it. Looks like it is just a pad that the awning rests on to keep it from rubbing a hole in the skin. It is just clamped to the rail.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Awning Pad.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	124909  
Old 03-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1978 25' Tradewind
NEW LENOX , Illinois
Mr. Twinkie,
Thanks for the shot. That bracket catches the stud on the awning end cap to arrest the un-rolling of the awning when highway driving. At least, that's what I think it is and does. How to make one is the question.
Thanks.
John H
Old 03-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
Lindy;
Here are the pics. There are 5 stainless steel screws holding the angle to the skin. 4 Stainless steel hinges hold the rock guard to the angle.
I would not try to attached the rock guard to the window, it may break in the process. If the drip cap doesn't stick out more than 1 1/2", the angle could go above it.
I would not recommend plexiglass; Lexan is far superior. I am considering replacing the fiberglass in the middle section with Lexan, it would let more light in.
Thanks Doug. That looks like something I can do but I think my drip cap sticks out more than 1 1/2". Can I just drill out the rivets and take it off then put the angle up there or would I need to put the angle up there then put the drip cap back on above it?

Also, if I do the angle and hinge at the top, do I need anything at the sides or will just the little rubber holders at the bottom hold it in place?

And, finally, what do I use to lift and hold the rock guard up when I want to open the window? Would that be something that would attach to the front of the trailer beside the windows and then to the lexan?

Nope. Now is finally - where the heck do I get Lexan? HD is 2 hours away and Lowe's is 3.

As always, I THANK YOU profusely!

Tags
window protectors, rockguard