Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2006, 06:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
stone guard question...

I didn't realize till having my 05 25' FB a couple months now, that the stone guards on the front corners are not clear coated like the body. After using a metal polish for stainless, the rag immediately turned black. Indicating just bare metal with no obvious sealer on it. I don't why AS doesn't seal these too...maybe to save a buck or two like ATwood puts a plastic drain plug in their hot water heater that leaks after one or two uses. Anyway...anybody got any recommendations out there on what to polish these stone guards that won't leave it all streaked, I notice the metal has alot of fine grain lines in it where it collects the polish.
I have tried that Walbernize polish and it appears to be more of a cleaner than a wax, seems awful watered down with little wax in it. It may be recommended by alot of people but...I really wonder about the quality of it. The manual states nothing about using this stuff, just says to use a good quality wax. Can anyone recommend a good paste wax? Appreciate your thoughts on this....
safari05-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Try Liquid Glass polymer sealant. 18 bucks a can, but goes a long way and last along time.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Hello Stonecrest2,
The stone gaurds of which you speak are indeed made from stainless steel which does not need a coating. The black you are finding is most likely road grime. When stainless steel is polished, it does not turn black on your rag as does aluminum. Stainless steel sink cleaner is a very good agent to clean and shine your stone gaurds with. Even some of your powdered cleansers will work, although, if you use that type cleaner, you need to work with the grain. You also can use a fairly stiff brush on these.
Oh, the trim around the entire unit is made from aluminum. That may be where your black, and streaking was coming from. By the way, probably the best aluminum polish for RAW aluminum, (NOT THE SIDES OF YOUR TRAILER!) is Alcoa Aluminum Wheel Polish. You could use that on the edges of the stone gaurds.
Enjoy that late model unit!
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote