Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Source for Replacement Lexan for Rock Guards

Here is a link to a company that stocks the smoke Lexan. It is good to have a souce if it gets broken.
Transparents Colored Lexan
Old 09-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Just noticed I have a nice star crack in mine. I'm assuming the replacement is grey? Thickness? Go with the lowest tolerance? Is the original Lexan or just plexi? Looks like it installs with a spline.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Original should be Lexan. I don't have my trailer here to measure thickness, I'll try to remember to measure it next weekend, so we have a baseline thickness from the factory.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I had a talk with someone that should know, and they say the originals were plexi. If it had been Lexan, it would have increased the cost by about $200 per unit. I do know that if mine ever breaks, I will be replacing with Lexan, unless something better comes along in the meantime.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Like....

Transparent Aluminum??? Captain We Have Whales Here!
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Lexan

Hey....if you have a star crack showing...its not Lexan. It won't do that.
Also, when you get the new Lexan be sure its SR (scratch Resistant). If your in the Dallas area go to ABS Plastics....I have to check that name if your interested. They will cut to size, and have many tints of color and thickness selections.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Transparent Aluminum??? Captain We Have Whales Here!
Personally, I don't think it would be wise to construct an Airstream out of transparent aluminum. I don't think the neighbors would appreciate seeing me preparing for my evening shower...
Old 09-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #8
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Personally, I don't think it would be wise to construct an Airstream out of transparent aluminum. I don't think the neighbors would appreciate seeing me preparing for my evening shower...
I have met overlander63, and can confirm his assumption

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstream
I have met overlander63, and can confirm his assumption
Uhh, thanks...
Old 09-15-2007, 10:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Yikes!

Here I thought the post was about rock guards and now we are making glass houses!!!! Guess you'll need the Not-so transparent version! LoL! The bronze or smoke colored would give you a nice even tan effect, Terry!
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Rock Guards

As I posted earlier, I lost a rock guard to a State of Virginia Bush Hog. It threw two pieces at me. One knocked a hole in my rock guard the other cracked the battery box on the street side.
Because of the cost I decided to replace the now holy rock guard. The material was identified as Acrylic, because Lexan (Duponts trade name for polycarbonate) did not come in the dark shades like the Acrylic does, so I reinstalled the Acrylic. If some one wants to see pictures I will endeavor to produce a few.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:23 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
As I posted earlier, I lost a rock guard to a State of Virginia Bush Hog. It threw two pieces at me. One knocked a hole in my rock guard the other cracked the battery box on the street side.
Because of the cost I decided to replace the now holy rock guard. The material was identified as Acrylic, because Lexan (Duponts trade name for polycarbonate) did not come in the dark shades like the Acrylic does, so I reinstalled the Acrylic. If some one wants to see pictures I will endeavor to produce a few.
Beginner
zThat would be great, along with either a link or phone number for the source.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Rock Guard

Oops Sorry.
The name of the place was NORVA PLASTICS in Norfolk VA, home for me.
Norva Plastics, Inc
Beginner
Old 09-16-2007, 09:31 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Lynnwood , Washington
I replaced mine this year and the old one was 1/8" acrylic. I couldn't fine any spine material as large as the old and dryed stuff I took out so went to the local big box hardware store and found some 3/8 round grey foam in the insulation dept. worked great. Wasn't to hard of a project, I think you can find the acrylic in any larger city under industrial plastics. As a tip I was able to sell the drop on craigslist for 50% of what I paid.

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Ifihadtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Rock Guard Overhaul

I didn't realise that the spline was that hard to find. I have a Mom and Pop hardware store (Meadowbrook Hardware) close to me. I just go there first out of habit. They had it and the next size larger.
Beginner
Old 09-17-2007, 08:39 AM   #16
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
Hey....if you have a star crack showing...its not Lexan. It won't do that.
Melody- my experience follows
Um ah, from one airplane builder to another. I've seen numerous instances of star cracking on lexan windscreens installed on experimental aircraft. This is almost always caused by the builder drilling out only to the called rivet size. The correct way is to drill out to the called rivet size then give it a little more clearance. I don't have the info here with my morning coffee, you'll just have to trust me on that. Why oversize holes?- because polycarb has movement when it heats and cools, if held tight it will crack. True Story. I posted pics some time ago on another thread, try the defunct search if you need something to do. Also with google availability anyone should be able to purchase lexan, polycarbonate anywhere on the planet and have it shipped to them. Plastic supply places have it all the time, it's readily available if you know where to shop.

on edit --look at the thread "rock guard rebuild-71 Safari" pics of star cracked lexan.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
absolutely correct..

Thats absolutely correct. After the first drill to size I will go one size over...plus I will use a large bit...or countersink, to bevel both ends on the drill hole. The star crack I was thinking of was from a direct blow...like a windshield type. Bullet holes don't count.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:04 AM   #18
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
I'll fly your stuff anytime!!
Nothin worse than a frozen chicken hittin the windscreen, thats the direct blow we do not need!

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:28 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
waynesboro , Virginia
rock gaurd

I'm interested in finding a source for the materials for building a rock gaurd....do you have that already? I'm in Va and get over to Norfolk once in a while.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
I didn't realise that the spline was that hard to find. I have a Mom and Pop hardware store (Meadowbrook Hardware) close to me. I just go there first out of habit. They had it and the next size larger.
Beginner
waltero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
Nothin worse than a frozen chicken hittin the windscreen, thats the direct blow we do not need!
I gotta ask... how often have you seen frozen chickens flying by when you are airborn?