Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2003, 04:28 PM   #1
Tim Eagle

1995 31' Land Yacht
Sandusky , Michigan
Send a message via MSN to tmeagle1
Question Shipping Costs for my Rock Guard

I've just ordered my tinted Rock Guard Solar Standard for my airstream and the shipping costs are $115.00 does this sound feasible? I'm just curious, is the weight of these things outrageous? Thanks for the info. I do realize that it is coming from a distance does this have anything to do with the shipping price. The part only costs around $300.00.
tmeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 04:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Shipping Costs for my Rock Guard

I would speculate that a part of the shipping costs relates to the dimensions of the object rather than the weight. The "wing-window" guards for my Minuet cost about $35.00 for shipping from Idaho to Illinois, and it wasn't so much the weight as the dimensions of the shipping container. I suspect that the full 3-piece rock guard is likely of such a size that it must be shipped truck freight which would increase the shipping costs - - probably more so than the distance involved.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 04:42 PM   #3
Tim Eagle

1995 31' Land Yacht
Sandusky , Michigan
Send a message via MSN to tmeagle1
Smile Thank you

Thank you for the information, I figured that but we are still so new at this airstream stuff.
tmeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 05:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Just the facts

tmeagle1

Quote:
I've just ordered my tinted Rock Guard Solar Standard for my airstream and the shipping costs are $115.00 does this sound feasible?
I agree with Kevin's comment, with respect to the size of package. But, to be fair..You should've included: from where you placed the order and, the method of transportation of same. Did you request a express delivery? Second day or, what? There's just so much you left out of your equation..
One thing for sure, once installed..They'll look sharp and, protect your windows as well..
Good luck~
ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 05:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
After a given dimension has been exceeded, you then get into the category of "dimensional" weight. When dimensional weight comes into play, a given box can be empty or have considerable weight, and the shipping costs are the same.

In the case of a one piece rockguard, the cost to ship it cross country are as follows.

Motor freight about $250.00, plus addtional for COD plus additional for residential delivery.

UPS. Will not take a package that large.

FEDEX. About $150.00 plus fuel service charge, residential service charge, plus delivery sur-charge if it's just a little out of the way.

AIRBORNE EXPRESS. About $115.00 including all charges.

Not much to decide.

Fuel charges, residential charges, sur-charges, dimensional weight charges, insurance charges, they all add up quickly.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 07:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Andy:
Check with Forward air. They are very reasonable and us 4x4 guys are shipping 600lb axles for about that price.
They are not every where and you have to do terminal delivery and pick up but might be far cheaper for those that would drive to the airport to pick up.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 09:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Freight costs

Forward Air does have an office at Los Angeles airport, LAX.

However, on a good day, with no weather, no accidents, no police pursuits, no bank robberies, it would take about 3 hours, round trip, plus the time at Forward Air. Additionally, we would have to rent a truck, since the standard rockguard won't fit in a car.

How could we offset that labor and travel expense cost?

Will they pick up from us? You bet they will. I was just given a quote of an additional $100.00, or there abouts!!!

Bottom line remains the same. Shipping costs are no longer cheap.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 10:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Freight costs

Quote:
Originally posted by Inland RV Center, In
Forward Air does have an office at Los Angeles airport, LAX.

However, on a good day, with no weather, no accidents, no police pursuits, no bank robberies, it would take about 3 hours, round trip, plus the time at Forward Air. Additionally, we would have to rent a truck, since the standard rockguard won't fit in a car.

How could we offset that labor and travel expense cost?

Will they pick up from us? You bet they will. I was just given a quote of an additional $100.00, or there abouts!!!

Bottom line remains the same. Shipping costs are no longer cheap.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Hahaha yeah I had not concidered your location.
Shiping is high. I use to be the shipping clerk for a company and use to send out 50lb boxes all day long for about $15 ground $28 2nd day and $36 overnight. Them day's are long gone. You would be louck to send 10lb cross country for less then $25 ground these day's.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote