Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Edmond , Oklahoma
Segment protector loose and hold back brackets broke

I have ordered new hold back brackets but after looking at this, I'm not sure if that will do the trick. The vibration from the loose panel has caused all three brackets to fail and the holes in the aluminum to become too large for a rivet to hold the new brackets. I'm thinking it will need to be patched or an entire new panel replacement. Anyone have any insight? My local service center says they can't get to it for months.

Thanks for any advice.
Lisarhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Photos would help
Old 06-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Find the larger rivet size, drill the bracket to fit the new rivets and you are back in business.

Remember to keep a firm grip on the rivet gun as it will want to jump on the last squeeze.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:11 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
Sorry for your troubles. I had the same occurence on a trip to Phoenix in March to MLB Spring training. Coming from Texas we had head winds until we turned northerly. In Az sustained winds of 35 mph. I had to add a patch over the hole where a bracket tore it out. Then riveted new bracket to patch. The bottom bracket I enlarged the holes and used larger rivets. In addition I used 3M EHB tape between the brackets and AS skin on both. The patch is largely hidden behind the segment protector.
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Are you guys talking about the stone guards on the front corners of the AS? Segment Protector?
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Steamboat springs , Colorado
rivet rivet

We have the same issue. Our entire panel fell out and broke the kitchen counter. Our dealer replaced the counter top and allegedly fixed the partition, but it fell out again. I am going to try to fix it tomorrow, as the dealer is 3 hours away and not very helpful. My plan is to find a molly that fits and use an epoxy to help it stay in place, then put the bracket back up and keep my fingers crossed. I saw a few ideas on a FB forum that mentioned 3M double side tape, bringing that along also. Will try tape before the molly. I'll keep you posted.
deedeerode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfa440 View Post
Are you guys talking about the stone guards on the front corners of the AS? Segment Protector?
Airstream definitions 101:
Stone guards are the plastic covers over the front window.
Segment protectors are the curved stainless protectors on the front lower corners of the shell.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:28 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Edmond , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by afneill View Post
Sorry for your troubles. I had the same occurence on a trip to Phoenix in March to MLB Spring training. Coming from Texas we had head winds until we turned northerly. In Az sustained winds of 35 mph. I had to add a patch over the hole where a bracket tore it out. Then riveted new bracket to patch. The bottom bracket I enlarged the holes and used larger rivets. In addition I used 3M EHB tape between the brackets and AS skin on both. The patch is largely hidden behind the segment protector.
Thank you! I think this is the correct course of action. I have scoured the sites around aluminum patches but most people have older trailers. Where can I determine what aluminum to patch with and where to acquire it? I have a 2016 FC. After reading what others have done, I'd love to do this myself but it is a little scary.

Lisa
Lisarhr is offline   Reply With Quote