Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-30-2019, 10:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Boise , Idaho
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 36
Screws for window rock guards.

Has anyone had trouble with re-tightening the screws that hold down the window rock guards after cleaning? I was able to get mine to hold, but instead of a 1/4 turn it felt like I had to turn it much more than that to get it tight. I'm not sure how these screws work so I was wondering if that was normal.

I've read in other forums that buying the longer screws can help make it easier to reinstall them. Does anyone have a link where I can buy the longer ones?

Thank you!
James3344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
overlander63's Avatar
 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,252
What were you doing removing the screws in the first place? That's not how you remove the rock guards to clean them.
If you are talking about the pair of latching screws to release them, if you turned them more than a quarter turn, you destroyed the latch, and it will have to be replaced.
__________________
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
AirMiles's Avatar
 
2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,401
The first time I washed my windows, the flimsy little connections on the window guards stripped and I couldn't reattach them. Here is how I permanently fixed the window guard connections.

I basically copied the through-bolt method from the stainless steel rock guards. First I drilled out the rivets holding the rubber grommet connectors on the Airstream. Then I went to the hardware store and bought stainless steel screws, washers, and locking nuts that fit through the stripped out hole on the rubber grommet connector. One lock nut went against the washer on the rubber grommet. Then I re-riveted the grommet back on the Airstream and put the second locking nut onto the bolt after closing the window rock guard.

Now I can easily clean my windows and know they are securely attached afterwards. I highly recommend doing this improvement. These pictures are worth a thousand words.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...4&d=1503173972
__________________
2021 Northern-Lite 10-2 & F350 DRW PSD, 380W Solar/Victron/600A BattleBorn
0 nights 0 miles
Sold: 2018 GT27Q, 74 nights 12,777 miles
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:06 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Boise , Idaho
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
What were you doing removing the screws in the first place? That's not how you remove the rock guards to clean them.
If you are talking about the pair of latching screws to release them, if you turned them more than a quarter turn, you destroyed the latch, and it will have to be replaced.
Yes i'm talking about the latching screws. If I destroyed the latch would they still be able to tighten down? Right now they feel pretty secure, but I felt like it was more effort than it should have been to get them tight.
James3344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:37 AM   #5
.-. -...
 
Adventure.AS's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by James3344 View Post
Has anyone had trouble with re-tightening the screws that hold down the window rock guards after cleaning? I was able to get mine to hold, but instead of a 1/4 turn it felt like I had to turn it much more than that to get it tight. I'm not sure how these screws work so I was wondering if that was normal.

I've read in other forums that buying the longer screws can help make it easier to reinstall them. Does anyone have a link where I can buy the longer ones?

Thank you!
Some people (including dealers) shave off some of the rubber post so that you don't have to push as much to latch the stone guard.
__________________
Ray B.
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
waninae39's Avatar

 
2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,459
yes

i HATE that BAD design

we and all dealers have issues

no one can get then to lock on our as 22fb

all we do now is close the side window and use the centre window from having the side windows open
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
turk123's Avatar

 
2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,300
I ordered several spares from Airstream. AS sent the entire assembly, not just the "screw". They shipped them at no charge.

They are a big pain to get to work. You really have to pay attention when you mate the "screw" with the bracket. 1/4 turn only or they break.

If you break one on a trip, you can temporarily wire them.
__________________
x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin


Link to our shared album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wACfGg1KcroVLP5m6
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Boise , Idaho
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I ordered several spares from Airstream. AS sent the entire assembly, not just the "screw". They shipped them at no charge.

They are a big pain to get to work. You really have to pay attention when you mate the "screw" with the bracket. 1/4 turn only or they break.

If you break one on a trip, you can temporarily wire them.
I'd like to have spares on the road as well. How did you order them and have them shipped at no charge?
James3344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,204
I Had trouble with my '96 so they haven't changed the design much. I doubt you have destroyed the screw. I did the same thing and once I figured out how they work the quarter turn was just fine. Have traveled 3000 miles with no issues.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:40 AM   #10
Obviously-NOT
 
james.mileur's Avatar
 
2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
I highly recommend doing this improvement. These pictures are worth a thousand words.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...4&d=1503173972
Hoo yah excellent picture story.
__________________
James Mileur, HY80-2-Al,
2017 Classic Twin, 2016 RAM 3500 Megacab, ProPride hitch
james.mileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:51 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member
 
Streamracer's Avatar
 
1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 214
They are called Dzus fasteners made by Southco. I ordered some a few years back direct from Southco. There are a lot of styles. southco.com
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by James3344 View Post
I'd like to have spares on the road as well. How did you order them and have them shipped at no charge?
AS Warranty folks are pretty good about sending replacment parts that fail under warranty...if you call the factory. That's assuming you have a newer model...I have had them send me a few different parts over the past 4 years...free.
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:00 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member
 
Kensington , Maryland
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 482
Just finished a version of Airmiles with a twist.
FWIIW the metal receiver located inside the rubber bumper flips out easily from the back. First drill out the rivets, turn the bumper over and use a slotted screwdriver to pop it out. Next, I used a spiked t-nut which I pressed into the rubber bumper (backside) using a large vise.
These SS screws:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These t-nuts:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With the t-nut embedded into the bumpers backside go ahead and rivet the bracket in place. A wee bit of massaging the brackets dog ears will permit it to sit flat against the Airstream surface.

Once riveted inplace use a screw and appropriate SS washer and done.

This is a VERY solid connection.

There is one further modification that I have not done yet. Once the screw length is determined mark the screw one thread beyond the window (aluminum) tab. File small flats here and thatís where my story ends. Iíll either fit the flats with a circlip or take one turn of SS wire in order to retain the screw and washer so that I donít have to do the hula dance without dropping the screws when re-fastening the window rock guards.

Thatís my story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
The first time I washed my windows, the flimsy little connections on the window guards stripped and I couldn't reattach them. Here is how I permanently fixed the window guard connections.

I basically copied the through-bolt method from the stainless steel rock guards. First I drilled out the rivets holding the rubber grommet connectors on the Airstream. Then I went to the hardware store and bought stainless steel screws, washers, and locking nuts that fit through the stripped out hole on the rubber grommet connector. One lock nut went against the washer on the rubber grommet. Then I re-riveted the grommet back on the Airstream and put the second locking nut onto the bolt after closing the window rock guard.

Now I can easily clean my windows and know they are securely attached afterwards. I highly recommend doing this improvement. These pictures are worth a thousand words.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/att...4&d=1503173972
__________________
2019 26' U FC RBT "Buck"
Subforum dedicated to Airstreams and riding bicycles:
https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f62/
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master
 
waninae39's Avatar

 
2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,459
EXCELLENT idea

I've started this project by removing the old mount
i had to flatten the threads inside the rubber mounts
drill a hole for #10 screws
i then used epoxy to hold the SS 3/4" long screw in, thus i don't need the nuts
I used west systems #105 epoxy and #206 hardener
https://www.westsystem.com/105-epoxy-resin/
after 24 house i will rivet it back on
then mount it with the nylon nus. i will keep a spare 3/8 nut driver just for the screen
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:38 PM   #15
Mike from Canmore
 
Mike G's Avatar
 
2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 166
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by James3344 View Post
Has anyone had trouble with re-tightening the screws that hold down the window rock guards after cleaning? I was able to get mine to hold, but instead of a 1/4 turn it felt like I had to turn it much more than that to get it tight. I'm not sure how these screws work so I was wondering if that was normal.

I've read in other forums that buying the longer screws can help make it easier to reinstall them. Does anyone have a link where I can buy the longer ones?

Thank you!
I've been very careful with mine, but the fittings are still worn. I think they are stressed when the trailer is in motion. So, I'm afraid to take mine off to clean now. And they afix the fittings with rivets, so they are not easily replaced. . . .
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:39 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
 
Kensington , Maryland
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I've been very careful with mine, but the fittings are still worn. I think they are stressed when the trailer is in motion. So, I'm afraid to take mine off to clean now. And they afix the fittings with rivets, so they are not easily replaced. . . .
Fear not the rivet removal game my friend.
The trick is to use good quality brad point drills, be steady and patient. Use the drill bits in a progressive (increasing size) manner until you have increased the drill bit size such that the rivet head spins off. Stop! Now use a skinny drift or anything about 1/8" to push the old rivet body in. The old rivet body will just fall inside the wall. Just a gentle tap will push the old rivet body away.

Replacing the rivet is much easier. If you have never used a rivet gun do some practice runs on scrap. A folded beer can is a good test pig....no offense ment to pigs.
__________________
2019 26' U FC RBT "Buck"
Subforum dedicated to Airstreams and riding bicycles:
https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f62/
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
John&Vicki's Avatar
 
1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,167
Images: 4
The right rock guard opened while underway last week. Needed replacing anyway and I found a great used one at Vintage Trailer. The crummy latch should be in the landfill by now.
__________________
John Audette
Air Cooled Porsche Specialist -

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled. ~ Robert Frost
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master
 
waninae39's Avatar

 
2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,459
I installed it this morning

GREAT design. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front windows-1a.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	370755   Click image for larger version

Name:	front windows-2a.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	370756  

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,414
Like very much. I would have chosen a wing nut and a lock washer though. I like "no tool" maintenance. Do you think that is a good idea or not?
I have learned to put pool noodles on the top edges of the side guards when parked under trees to prevent leaf build-up. Noticed some Spanish moss under mine just today and I finally found 1/4 inch screen came on Amazon so I can replace my shrunken stuff.
__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
waninae39's Avatar

 
2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,459
The wing nut will jam up against the front window edge when it lowers.

instead of the lock nut, i thought of using a knob ( like use in my workshop jigs)
same problem as the wingnut, too big and bulky

i just keep a 3/8" hex driver as part of the tools.

the original AS design needed a tool anyway
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Manufactured and Installed Window Rock Guards coloradopete Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors 7 10-08-2016 04:00 PM
Window Rock Guards Mike25FB Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents 4 01-21-2016 04:49 PM
Cracks and one hole in 2015 Airstream window Rock Guards Mike25FB General Repair Forum 8 01-01-2016 12:01 PM
Window rock guards.... warp Gator113 Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors 13 03-09-2015 05:20 PM
Minuet Front Window Rock Guards overlander64 All Argosy Trailers 54 12-01-2003 09:13 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.