Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2020, 03:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Wish it were so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
I would expect the dealer to say “I’m sorry, that’s not right. Bring it back and we can ensure it is well secured”
That would be nice, yes. I wish it were the way things worked.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:17 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Caulk?....IMO, 3M 4200. 👍
Better than any caulk I've tried, but then, I've only been trying since '88.
Seals and holds well but can be removed.

Bob
🇺🇸
Just ordered the #8 3/4 ss screws and 3M 4200 on amazon. Doing myself so I know it is done right. Used to fix Navy aircraft so guess I am up to it
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:29 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfish View Post
Next week is shakedown and washed my 25 GT in my driveway today. First time opened the segment protectors. As I was about to close the second one I glanced at the mounting hinge. Seven screw holes and two screws. I looked down the other hinge and saw four

Maybe end of screw guy’s shift and wanted to get home?

Love my GT and expect to find some other things over time. Just the way things are and just surprised, not complaining. This does make me want to look at all screw holes though
I too had some difficulties right after delivery. Disappointing given the aura of Airstream! Eventually the issues were corrected and the rig was truly mine. Enjoy your journey.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Lath Screws #8 x 3/4"

I removed my Rock Guards so the Airstream could check out the front end of our trailer with Indents on the lower FB storage corners.

I doubt if they even spent much time at all. Now I have to reinstall the Rock Guards. At least I did get to clean the front of the trailer curves and the inside to the Rock Guards.

The screws that came out are self cutting. You can get Lath Screws that do the same.

When I replace the "Segment Protectors" I will try a Lath Screw at the top and the bottom to get a feel. The original is the smaller diameter head with the self cutting tip. Mine were already installed, so I do not need the self cutting option.

All were tight and snug... then. The bottom rivets of the curved trim were all pulling out. The dealer... ho hummed that and said I could buy new panels for $500, or so. OK... thank you.

The Lath Screw has a wide head, that I like. They come in 1/2 inch to 1 1/4 inch lengths. Lowes has both styles and lengths.

The threads on both metal screws look sharp and aggressive. I made scans FYI. Once I get the top and bottom Lath Screws tight... then figure out if they will complete the job.

The Segment Guards fit so snug where the three nuts attach... that the friction would hold the guards stable, no matter if the piano hinge is loose. The tension was a lot more than my other two Airstreams.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan 10.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	406511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan 9.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	406512  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan 8.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	406513  
Old 10-17-2021, 07:55 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Reinstalled Left and Right Rock Guards... whew

Finished reattaching the left and right Rock Guards. It will take two people. One to hold the guard... steady... and the other handling the screws. I used my Lath Screws 3/4".

I used a long nail as a pilot finder for the holes behind the hinge holes. Screwed the top screw first but not totally snug. Leave some slack.

Go to the 3rd hole of the frame. Center the hinge hole to the hole in the skin with the nail. Hold steady. You need to find the point of the screw finding the previous hole... snug the screw, not tight.

Repeat every other hole. When you get to the second to last, set this screw snug, but not tight. You will notice that the trailer's front panel is curved about 1/2 inch more or less air space. A gap between the straight hinge and the curved lower body of the Airstream.

I snugged up all the screws top to bottom. Then screwed the bottom with a screw. There is a lot of tension here due to the gap. I even questioned about adding the bottom screw, as the Rock Guard would swing and align with the three threaded bolts to attach the nut.

The Rock Guard has a lot of tension with the straight hinge attached to a curved panel. That you will see immediately when reattaching the panel hinge.

The bottom of the Rock Guard will contact the lower edge of the plastic trim area at the bottom. There is nothing you can do to pull it away from the body of the trailer. The Rock Guard does not fit the curve very well, at all.

That is why MY ROCK GUARD pop rivets with the trim are failing. The Rock Guard is not formed to fit the front of the trailer. Close... but barely. This is causing the Rock Guard rivets to fail. Mine are extended but not popped. You can run your finger under the bottom and feel the wide gap. The top looks fine. These rivets contact the wrap on the inside. I have several spots rubbed presently. I may swing the Rock Guard out and clip those to prevent any more wear on the interior chrome wrap. Some screw end is showing.

The Guards are easy to remove. Reinstalling will take some patience and effort. Each Airstream's curved left to right Rock Guards may be curved differently to fit properly. Obviously hand made, and vary from one production to the next?

Mine were not a very good fit left to right, nor top to bottom. It was an absolute Pain in Your and My Mule Tail. Mine will preform as designed to protect from gravel. They will not come loose. The Lath Screws worked for me as usual.

MY ADVICE; BUY MUD FLAPS. Works on my F350 and they have a Bronco with a Cowboy riding in chrome die cut out attached to the left and right rear flaps. A true Wyoming Cowboy look alike... me, sort of.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:45 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I removed my Rock Guards so the Airstream could check out the front end of our trailer with Indents on the lower FB storage corners.

I doubt if they even spent much time at all. Now I have to reinstall the Rock Guards. At least I did get to clean the front of the trailer curves and the inside to the Rock Guards.

The screws that came out are self cutting. You can get Lath Screws that do the same.

When I replace the "Segment Protectors" I will try a Lath Screw at the top and the bottom to get a feel. The original is the smaller diameter head with the self cutting tip. Mine were already installed, so I do not need the self cutting option.

All were tight and snug... then. The bottom rivets of the curved trim were all pulling out. The dealer... ho hummed that and said I could buy new panels for $500, or so. OK... thank you.

The Lath Screw has a wide head, that I like. They come in 1/2 inch to 1 1/4 inch lengths. Lowes has both styles and lengths.

The threads on both metal screws look sharp and aggressive. I made scans FYI. Once I get the top and bottom Lath Screws tight... then figure out if they will complete the job.

The Segment Guards fit so snug where the three nuts attach... that the friction would hold the guards stable, no matter if the piano hinge is loose. The tension was a lot more than my other two Airstreams.
Stainless steel screws? right?

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote