Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: What do you think about the Video?
Like 29 87.88%
Dislike 0 0%
Could have been better 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Wink One-piece Rockguard video

We at the Out-of-Doors Mart would like to wish you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving and while your resting from eating all that turkey, please look at our new video.

It is on " How to install a one-piece Rockguard"

Click here to see the video.

Dan
Old 11-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Well now I know how to put it on,but coming up with the money is another thing.
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Thanks for the video. It was vwey interesting.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Seems to be well done.
Why did you keep puttiing that spot over the employees face? Jerry I think he was.
I don't like the idea of bending the face of the guard to fit. I want one made to fit.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Great video:

I think that is the best way for me to learn is by videos like that. Good job make some more.

I am about 2hrs and 30min away. I am going to have to do a road trip and check you place out.

Lothlorian
Old 11-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
down south , South Carolina
Thanks Dan. Save me one for Christmas.

BTW, the 4 interior light lens came in today. Thanks for the quick shipping. I'll install them tomorrow.

Earl
Dieselgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico

The video tried to start then I got a message "this video is no longer available
Old 11-26-2008, 08:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I think any how to video is good public service. I can see someone trying to mount the guard without removing the hinge for example.

The "face covers" are likely just their logo to protect the video as theirs..?
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
shipping fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
coming up with the money is another thing.
Yes they are pricey but so are the wing windows. If broken, they are pricy and hard to replace.
We don't have a crating fee.

Dan
Old 11-27-2008, 08:01 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Wish I saw it before I installed mine!

Only criticism is you should change the cheesy background music.

Great video - hope you do more - thanks for the service.

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Well done! I wish you guys were closer to us out west.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:22 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
I don't like the idea of bending the face of the guard to fit. I want one made to fit.
That is the one that is made to fit. I got the same rockguard from Airstream, and they all have to be bent to fit.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:28 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Thumbs down different meanings

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
That is the one that is made to fit. I got the same rockguard from Airstream, and they all have to be bent to fit.
Well obviously Terry you and I read from a different dictionary.

'Made to fit' means something else to me.
That is exactly one of the reasons I am waiting on the vintage style that I 'think' I remember, but cannot yet find a good picture or example of.
One-size-fits-all may be fine in gimme caps but I want more from $350 dollar Airstream specialties.

If I was to find a used one at a price I liked, I would not expect it to fit exactly, and would adjust it as necessary.

I have learned to live with and can accept universality in many hidden parts and pieces of hardware, but appearance parts deserve better. Rockguards are definately high appearance IMHO.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Rockguard

I am still in the process of building one for my trailer. I am using a aluminum framed 50/60's something house porch awning that I have been restoring the fiberglas panel on. It is the same color as the factory original (yellow) ones I have seen on vintage trailers. The frame had to be cut down to fit the front window size for my trailer. It originally had an arched effect for the porch awning, so I kept that theme on the downsized awning for my trailer. So it will look slightly different from OEM awnings from the factory and have the slight arched panels of fiberglas on the sides of the awning. As soon as I am finished with it and am ready to install it on the trailer it will fit right where the factory one (missing except for the hinge) was mounted to my trailer. I have already purchased the (2) awning arms from Airstream as well as the new style (2) awning holddown hardware kit. It won't be a pure restore but I believe it to be a better look for my rig than the new ones that Airstream sells with the dark lexan panels. They look okay on newer trailers and are very good for trailers with wing windows but just don't have the look of the original rockguards. I am currently on the lookout for more old awnings so I can make up more retro awnings for other trailers. If anyone wants to see my awnings I will post a bunch of pictures on this thread as soon as mine is finished and mounted. I hope this gives some of you a few ideas. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
one size

Quote:
Why did you keep puttiing that spot over the employees face?
We flimed most of this footage a few months ago. We put the spot over the guys face because, some of the guys in the video no longer work there. We just did it as a curtesy to them.

Dan
Old 11-28-2008, 10:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Well obviously Terry you and I read from a different dictionary.

'Made to fit' means something else to me.
That is exactly one of the reasons I am waiting on the vintage style that I 'think' I remember, but cannot yet find a good picture or example of.
One-size-fits-all may be fine in gimme caps but I want more from $350 dollar Airstream specialties.

If I was to find a used one at a price I liked, I would not expect it to fit exactly, and would adjust it as necessary.

I have learned to live with and can accept universality in many hidden parts and pieces of hardware, but appearance parts deserve better. Rockguards are definately high appearance IMHO.

How it fits, depends on how you install it.

Airstream cannot make a part such as a rockguard that could possibly fit exactly, no matter how you installed it.

After it's installed following the directions, it takes less than one (1) minute to adjust it.

The purpose of the adjustment is to make the gasket touch the shell in a positive way, so fluttering does not take place when in transit.

If you feel an exact fit must be made, then I hope you never make an attempt to replace a metal segment, because you will be in for a big surprise. Plus, todays segments cost far more than a rockguard.

Then you could maybe consider replacing a side sheet, too. They don't ever have any mounting holes, either, and, cost far more than segments.

Machined parts are a different story.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
My opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan4odm View Post
We at the Out-of-Doors Mart would like to wish you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving and while your resting from eating all that turkey, please look at our new video.

It is on " How to install a one-piece Rockguard"

Dan
Hi, Dan. I think this was a good basic video on installing a new rock guard, But in my opinion, I think a few things should have been done differently. Note: I have dial up internet so it took me about ten times as much time to watch your video. [slow motion] (1.) Remove old drilled out pop rivet heads from drill bit. (2.) Use a drill bit stopper [rubber hose] on drill bit; You don't need to drill two inches into sheet metal. (3.) Use rivets on rockguard channel to Airstream body instead of screws and use screws instead of pop rivets on the channel hinge ends. (4.) Use sealer on the support brackets mounted between the windows. (5.) Do not mount any one piece until all holes are drilled so you won't have drilled, metal particles, shaveings, in between the parts. My opinions are based on my experiences and the fact that I have installed many accessories on brand new cars [since 1968] where drilling allowed for zero mistakes. And I feel the five things that I just mentioned would make for a higher quality installation. And for the record, I have not drilled into mine or anyone elses Airstream. For what it's worth, these are my opinions.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:26 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Dan:

I posted early about you guys doing another video. If you were to do another video what would you show us how to fix or replace? I hope you guys keep them coming. That is great advertising for your place. I never even knew you existed until that video. I live 10 minutes from camping time in Snellville Georgia and they just closed the store.

Lothlorian
Old 11-30-2008, 07:53 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post

The video tried to start then I got a message "this video is no longer available
It seems to be working now. I have it on YouTube so that people can it via their web-browser.

Dan
Old 12-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
After some consideration,I decided to do as another member says "suck it up.spend the bucks,and do it right",today I ordered the new rock guard.I will tell my wife when it comes in.I mean what`s the point of knowing how to put it on ,if you don`t have one to put on.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockguard