Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
New Stainless Steel Rock Guards

I heard there is a non-Airstream source for new stainless steel rock guards (not the window stone guards). I am looking for the newer style guards that come up high to the bottom of the front windows. Either brand new or used could be acceptable. Does anyone have source information?
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:42 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I don't have the info that you are looking for on the stone guards, but I'm sure someone else with chime in. In the meantime, you might consider plunking around old posts on this issue. Just go to the "search" function on the upper blue tool bar on the Portal Page.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I'm with moosetags. I haven't heard of such a non-Airstream alternative. The market is so small that it would be unusual for another producer to make these. Nevertheless there have been a number of small market products tried. I've seen something similar to no-slip pool tread (rubber & gritty) sprayed on.

These are actually called segment protectors to help you in your search. Rock guards technically are the window protectors. The high segment protectors have only been around for the last 4 years or so -- but usable on older Airstreams. Did davidz71 do a thread on installing?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Installation thread might have been somebody else. But I found this, http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...rds-19927.html.

Maybe did you hear of a non-dealer source for OEM segment protectors? Inland RV would fit that bill. Out-of-Doors Mart is very helpful/knowledgeable on the east coast. This just isn't a high volume item that would warrant a Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies! to get some made up IMO -- but it always pays to check there too.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 01-01-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
SAN ANTONIO , Texas
segment protector

I too am searching for a segment protector. I have contacted several Airstream salvage yards including Colawrv in Missouri, they did not have. The price quote I received for a new one for my 1993 Excella is $535, which does not include tax or installation. I did read a post of a forum member that built his own (he had the steel "rolled" to fit). Pictures looked good.

I lost my ss segment protector somewhere on Hwy 79 between Palestine and Hearne, Texas. Oh well, the trip was our maiden voyage in this 14 year old trailer. We are brand new to trailering, we have been tent camping for 20+ years. My wife and I agreed that a lot of worsererer things could have happened but did not sooooo, our search for a replacement continues. One lead I had was something called Inland RV Center. Inland could not or would not help, apparently Inland can not obtain this rather low priority part.
SKEETER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Maybe did you hear of a non-dealer source for OEM segment protectors? Inland RV would fit that bill.

FYI, we "ARE" an Airstream parts dealer, and more often than not, we are the leading parts dealer in the planet for Airstream parts.

Vintage "is not" an Airstream parts center, and therefore cannot buy parts from Airstream, except at retail and only if they were in Jackson Center.

Anyone can buy from the Wally Byum store, their items, by telephone, or on-line.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
SAN ANTONIO , Texas
So Andy, tell me...

What is Inland's price for a ss segment protector for a 1993 Excella?
Old 01-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKEETER
I too am searching for a segment protector. I have contacted several Airstream salvage yards including Colawrv in Missouri, they did not have. The price quote I received for a new one for my 1993 Excella is $535, which does not include tax or installation. I did read a post of a forum member that built his own (he had the steel "rolled" to fit). Pictures looked good.

I lost my ss segment protector somewhere on Hwy 79 between Palestine and Hearne, Texas. Oh well, the trip was our maiden voyage in this 14 year old trailer. We are brand new to trailering, we have been tent camping for 20+ years. My wife and I agreed that a lot of worsererer things could have happened but did not sooooo, our search for a replacement continues. One lead I had was something called Inland RV Center. Inland could not or would not help, apparently Inland can not obtain this rather low priority part.
We informed you that we "DO NOT" sell used parts.

The price you quoted is for a complete set (both sides) segment protector. One side only, obviously is much cheaper.

We can and usually do, buy more parts from Airstream than any other dealer, over the course of the calendar year.

Ordering what you want or need, and shipping it to you from our stock or the factory, depends on what you want, and where you live, since shipping costs depend on size and distance.

Also, for the benefit of all, Fedex and UPS have raised their shipping rates again, as they usually do after the first of the year.

They also have changed their billing method to the size of the package (dimensional weight), or the weight, which ever is greater, plus the greater the distance, the greater the cost.

In the past, dimensional weight only applied to "air" shipments. Those days are gone.

Andy
Old 01-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
SAN ANTONIO , Texas
So tell me Andy...

What is Inland's price for a "New" ss segment protector for a 1993 Excella?
Old 01-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKEETER
What is Inland's price for a "New" ss segment protector for a 1993 Excella?
I will PM the price to you tomorrow.

Also, what side do you need?

Did yours have the battery cut out?

Please be advise that the hardware for the current segment protectors is different from the older ones.

Andy
Old 01-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
SAN ANTONIO , Texas
Andy,

The attached picture shows the segment protector that is lost, this picture was taken the day it left us.

ps: If the picture did not come thru, then the segment protector (new) that i alost is on the streetsie and does not have cut outs for the battery box. A picture of the lost SP is shown in my AVATAR.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
FYI, we "ARE" an Airstream parts dealer, and more often than not, we are the leading parts dealer in the planet for Airstream parts.
Andy, I knew your eagle eye would not miss my omission. From fairness to all members who cannot edit afterward I did not change my post. But I did add to the edit comments, "Inland is an AS dealer, just not retail trailer sales." Your place in Airstream-dom will only be complete when you write the encyclopedia!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 01-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
I have a used stainless steel segment protector for the curb side that I need to despose of, any interested buyers?
Old 01-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
SAN ANTONIO , Texas
Andy,

Did you get my answer to your question about the segment protector, i.e. streetside and no cut-out for the battery box? I emailed a picture but have not received your response. Please let me know what the price is for the "new" streetside segment protector I would like to purchase for my 1993 30' Airstream Excella. If you need more description or did not get the picture, please let me know. BTW, My AVATAR is a picutre of the lost segment protector.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #15
1987 Excella 32'

1987 32' Excella
Kennewick , Washington
I met someone at the 2010 Coloma, Ca rally who made and sold SS segment protectors, but have lost his card. Anyone know of him?
bmccomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:02 AM   #16
"Sassyfras"

1994 30' Excella
Winston-Salem , North Carolina
Ha, having had both of my segment protectors on my '94 Excella Classic go flying away I am seeing that I am not alone...seems to be somewhat common.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by oledawg View Post
Ha, having had both of my segment protectors on my '94 Excella Classic go flying away I am seeing that I am not alone...seems to be somewhat common.

A little research points to bad fasteners.

Typically, they seem to go bad from vibrations caused, not always, but usually, excessive rated tow vehicles and excessive rated hitch torsion bars.

The DZUS fasteners can be doubled up, for additional traveling security for the segment protectors.

I'll see what I can come up with, in the next couple of weeks, if anything.

Andy
Old 11-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #18
"Sassyfras"

1994 30' Excella
Winston-Salem , North Carolina
Interesting... I do tow with a Silverado 3500 HD duallie and I have been running at faster than normal speeds out here in the SW. Whatever happened something has been allowing the top edge of the segment protectors to rub and hit the front panels as with them gone I see some significant wear. If I get the taller ones this damage will be covered up.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #19
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Andy, does the price on your site reflect a set of segment protectors? I've been under the impression it was just per side. If it's a set I am going to talk it over with the wife. Are's are so terrible looking, and the PO painted them "really poorly" and I know this is something we'd like to get. But at that price per side, it's a lil difficult. Not asking you to disclose a price openly in a thread though. So no worries.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Need segment protector surround molding

While driving back from NC last month, I noticed in my mirror that the curbside segment protector was vibrating. The PO of our trailer backed into it with his TV, but I didn't notice any damage other than a dent in the curbside lower front segment.

Apparently the aluminum C-molding around the stainless protector was cracked. Now it has completely failed and the protector is vibrating at highway speeds and contacting the segment resulting in an area about 1/4" x 1.5" where the segment looks like it has been sandblasted.

I guess I'll ultimately have to replace the segment, but I need to repair the protector NOW. Is the aluminum surround molding available anywhere? It appears to just be a C-shaped section that is attached (adhesive?) to the perimeter of the stainless sheet.

Thanks,

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote