Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2005, 10:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
somewhere , on the road
is a rock guard necessary?

We're in the process of having our '63 flying cloud restored. We will doing a LOT of driving with it once it is complete. Is anyone out there towing without a rock guard? Is it just to protect from nicks, or has anyone had any real damage done to their front window?

How much do they generally run?

Thanks!
~L&B

Find & Share Great Campsites: Campendium
flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 11:20 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Billings , Montana
If you travel anywhere up here in the North country especially in the spring and early summer you'll be glad that you have one. Check out the windshields that you see on the local cars and trucks, they tell the story.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:26 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'll simply say that the rock guards Airstream had on last years model was upgraded to a slightly larger one...I myself feel they are very important since anything that comes flying of the tires is gonna hit directly on the front end of the coach.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 02:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I have RockTamers from Enkay in Parker, CO on my tow bar (they are removable...actually in my case stay with the trailer) and they protect my trailer.

However, I get bounce back into the Expediton bumper and tailgate. The Rocktamers do protect the Airstream. The Expedition is more easily (read cheaper) to repair than the Airstream.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:21 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
We have a set of enkay flaps as well www.mudflaps.com A rock guard is the glass protector for your windows and segment protectors attach to the lower front....

We took a trip without flaps on gravel roads - 1 trip. The painted finish on our argosy was noticeably pitted at the end of the trip. Never again! The flaps make a huge difference. We also added rock guards to the glass - more concerned about hits kicked up from other vehicles than our own....

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:33 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I too have the enkays, but they can still let things pass by if you don't have good mudflaps too.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Where is "sudo chmod" ?

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:40 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
somewhere , on the road
very helpful - thanks everyone!

Find & Share Great Campsites: Campendium
flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:06 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
is a rock guard necessary?

Greetings flyingcloud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcloud
We're in the process of having our '63 flying cloud restored. We will doing a LOT of driving with it once it is complete. Is anyone out there towing without a rock guard? Is it just to protect from nicks, or has anyone had any real damage done to their front window?

How much do they generally run?

Thanks!
~L&B
For the Vintage coaches that don't have the side or wing windows bedside the front window, I am not convinced that a rock guard is necessary or desirable. My '64 Overlander has never had a rock guard, and since the original window is flat glass replacement isn't a great problem. I really like the idea that with the front and rear drapes open and both accordian doors restrained in the open position -- there is a clear view from the front window through the rear of the coach -- it is nice to know if there is a small car tailgating the coach. My solution to the issue that last time the front window was cracked was to have the replacement made from scratch protected Lexan -- that was over seven years ago and that window still looks like new.

I do run mud flaps on my Suburban, and have had very few problems. It is rare, however, for my rig to be off of pavement. Campgrounds and the WBCCI International Rally campsites are about the only place where the rig is off of pavement.

With the deep-wrap wing windows on the Minuet, I wouldn't be without the rock guards -- I just wish that they would have been available with clear Lexan rather than the smoke tinted variety that is offered.

Good luck with your '63!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings flyingcloud!
I just wish that they would have been available with clear Lexan rather than the smoke tinted variety that is offered. Kevin
We have to agree with you - on being able to see through the trailer! When we traveled last year home with her - we can not tell you the number of cars that travel so close to the back of the trailer then pull out from no where?? especially at night.

We lost our wing window but we are still convinced it was not a stone but stress from a bad axle. WHEN we get our new stone guard this summer sometime - we will be ordering clear lexan. Instead of the smoked.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:40 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2003 33' Land Yacht 33
Fort Myers , Florida
2005 28 Classic low rockguards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I'll simply say that the rock guards Airstream had on last years model was upgraded to a slightly larger one...I myself feel they are very important since anything that comes flying of the tires is gonna hit directly on the front end of the coach.
And here is what happens with the low rockguards on a 2005 28 classic, dents! See attached thumbnails.

I wrote Airstream about the problem and asked them to consider replacing my low rockguards with their new higher rockguards and here is their reply:

Thanks for the pictures and the note. Unfortunately, swapping out rock guards are not covered under your warranty. In researching your records, your trailer was delivered in August of 2004. The higher rockguards were introduced as a running line change in mid-2005. Your current rock guards did not fail.

I will give you the part numbers of the higher rock guards. They are: 685275-101 CS & 685275-102.

This can be obtained at any Airstream dealer. Thanks for your inquiry.

"Your current rock guards did not fail." I disagree and I have the dents to prove it.

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dent 1 rev.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	12061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dent 2 rev.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	12062  

alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:32 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

It did the job

When I picked up our Excella II the rock guard had a good size hole in it, presumably from some kind of impact while underway. All the way home it was in the back of my mind that one fluke rock would kick up, find that hole and take the window. When I got home, I removed the rock guard and had the broken plexi replaced with smoked lexan. Gotta be cheaper than a window. The front panels of our trailer are peppered with many small rock dings (beauty marks). If you're going to go camping, those kind of dings are inevitable and nothing to worry about IMHO. If anything they can be regarded much like the collection of destination decals that some people plaster all over the back of thier RV's. Proof that you've "been there, done that" so to speak. P.
Peter&Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I am a bit confused by this discussion. By "rock guard" do you mean the metal window coverings for the front windows or do you mean the wrap-around metal protective shields covering the base of the front (like in that photo)? I have only ever seen the window type guard on the early 60's trailers (although I have an old guide from '59 for trailering up the AlCan Highway that shows trailers with their entire front ends covered in cardboard).

I've been curious about the old window rock guards. What holds them on to the window frame? I just replaced our front window and puzzled over attachment as I worked on it. I was considering that we could possibly one day fabricate our own rock guard if we could figure out where it would attach.

Thanks!

Mary
Old 05-10-2005, 10:06 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Front window rock guards are usually mounted on a hinge just above the window. When parked they are held up with prop rods and function as an awning. Mine uses a continuous extruded aluminum type of hinge, kind of like two "C's" that slide into eachother. Very commonly used for the back doors on truck caps, you could probably get most of what you need to fabricate a rock guard from any place that sells, installs and repairs truck caps and accessories. P.
Peter&Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:57 AM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Apples and oranges......

Rock Protectors cover glass

Segment Protectors cover metal trailer body

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Cheers, Peter--

I had wondered also how to hold up a window awning, besides draping it over the window!
Old 05-10-2005, 12:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Apples and oranges......

Rock Protectors cover glass

Segment Protectors cover metal trailer body
Whodathunk. Is that official Airstream terminology? Seems the term "rockguard" is used for both, at least coloquially.

Mary
Old 05-10-2005, 03:20 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, modding out the rock guards is not a small task. Those stubs that hold it to the body I believe are actually sealed from the inside just like the rivet lines and all exposed areas where 2 areas join. In addition, you'd prob keep the old lower stubs on so you don't have holes or possible areas for leaks...if the space between the new rock guard and the body allow it without making even more mods to accomidate it....

I found adding a good pair of mud flaps also helps keep the rock at the rock guard and off the body. Thing is that you have to have mudflaps that are about an inch off the ground to ensure that projectiles are kept to a min.

I took our Safari through the north woods up by Pictured Rock National Lakeshore, and I gotta tell ya, the roads for a national park are shameful. All gravel and sand, washboard, sink holes, etc. My parents met us up there with their SOB. He had the standard GM mudflaps on his Silverado. I had some custom ones I built and mounted to the Impala. His RV was covered in sand and dirt up front....while the Safari made it through 38 miles of real nasty roads without so much as a grain of sand on the front....not a scratch, dent, ding....NADA....though it was very dusty.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:23 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2003 33' Land Yacht 33
Fort Myers , Florida
After reading the above posts, I was referring to the stainless steel segment protectors. I am going to buy mudflaps like Silvertwinkie suggested and I am also going to schedule an appointment with Jackson Center to have the higher segment protectors installed at a cost of $536.58 per set.

I would suggest to anyone contemplating the purchase of an existing 2005 Airstream to insist that the unit be delivered with the higher segment protectors.

Thanks to all for their comments.
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:06 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Alvintor....when you do this, keep in mind that you should measure when the coach is on the back end with the weight bars on. I found that after getting to the sweet spot I liked, once I added the coach with the weight bars, I needed to trim a bit more. Other than that, it's pretty clear if you have them about 1" from the ground once the coach is on the back end. Also I have the Enkay flaps on the hitch as a secondary. I think you will be satisfied with the outcome as I have been.