Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2003, 09:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question If it's NOT a rock guard, what is it called?

Hi Everyone -

I was checking some of the photos out and saw a couple AS with what I thought was called a rock guard. But, after checking out Inland RV, a rock guard is a window cover, not what I was looking at in the photos.

The item I am referring to is a sheet of either metal or aluminum mounted behind the LP tanks and looks like a "guard" of some type. Would like to find out the "technical term" for this item.

Any ideas?
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
"Rockguards" protect the front window/windows, and have a solar gray plastic insert.

"Segment protectors" are for the two front quarter panels, and are stainless steel.

The cover for the LPG bottles is called an "LPG bottle cover."

There is nothing available to protect the panel "behind" the LPG bottles.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:47 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Has anyone installed the segment "quarter panel" protectors? My quarter panels got scratched up last year during a trip to the west coast and back. A tire exploded on a lumber truck that was passing me down in Louisiana and flying debris did some damage and a "dirt devil" in Texas did some more. Those segment protectors would probably hide the damage and protect the quarter panels from future damage.
If they are available for my unit I would like to put them on but have no idea what tools and skills would be required. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.
Wayne
wayner1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Wayne.
A drill and pop rivet gun, handles the job.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 07:15 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
North Ogden , Utah
Our 25 " classic has the shields. If you llook in the AS liturature you will see them installed on the 6 axle tt.

I would guess they are called rock shields to distigush between them and the window guards.

uucal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 07:49 PM   #6
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by uucal
Our 25 " classic has the shields. If you llook in the AS liturature you will see them installed on the 6 axle tt.

Hi uucal! Did I miss something here? A SIX AXLE TT?
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 10:01 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Hi Andy,

I'm in process of buying a 96 Excella 28. It has the "rock guards" and segment protectors (I've been calling those rock guards as well). This trailer does happen to have a stainless panel behind the LPG tanks, and it covers the entire expanse between the segment protectors.

The color is just slightly off, and I'd suspected it may have been customed fitted.

And, I think I'll take a peek behind all those "Protectors" just to make sure all is sound.

Take Care All

Lee
LabWagGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 05:52 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
Riverview , Florida
I need a pair of the "segment protectors" also. Does anyone know the price of these? My A/S doesnt have any and there has been damage because of this. I need to correct this!
newae is offline   Reply With Quote