Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
Had Sovereign windows tinted today.

Installer used Ilumar Platinum Plus 18 which is a automotive film and I am very happy. After he left I closed up camper windows and went off and let it sit in hot sun for three hours and went back and went in and there was a noticably lower temperature inside. I estimate 10 to 15 degrees cooler.

I have been doing alot of work in it last couple of weeks and I know exactly what to expect when I open the door but today was a really pleasant experience.

This is some of the best money I have spent on the AS since I got it followed by the Iota 55 amp power converter w/ the battery condition unit followed by reworking underside of cabinet under sink to increase storage room.

I just about have it ready for another trip and looking forward to having everything working nicely.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Sounds good--been thinking about it. Does it make it noticeably darker inside?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I did all the removable windows on mine when I replaced the gaskets and had them all laying on the bench. I'm seasoning the rest of the job.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
Here's my A/S after the widows were tinted. Yes It was a lot darker inside once the tinting was done. It was also noticeably cooler. There is also a before shot in the large shot..
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
yes it is darker but comfortable to read etc if need be. Today it got up to 95 and I left it canned up till about 4:00 and went out and opened door. Usually I get hit by a big heat blast. It was warmer than outside but no where near what it has been being. My windows look as dark as the ones illustrated.

The AC was just barely keeping up with things before so now it should cool things down very nicely which will also be easier on the fridge.

If I can come up with one of those front window protectors I will have it done with same stuff. I expect those front protector frames are rather pricey????
Old 09-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
yes it is darker but comfortable to read etc if need be. Today it got up to 95 and I left it canned up till about 4:00 and went out and opened door. Usually I get hit by a big heat blast. It was warmer than outside but no where near what it has been being. My windows look as dark as the ones illustrated.

The AC was just barely keeping up with things before so now it should cool things down very nicely which will also be easier on the fridge.

If I can come up with one of those front window protectors I will have it done with same stuff. I expect those front protector frames are rather pricey????
The front one piece rockguard that covers the front window and both wing windows, is reasonably priced by Airstream.

But I am sure it costs more than tinting those 3 windows.

But, as the name implies, the tinting won't protect those windows from rocks.

If any one of those 3 break from a rock when traveling, it will cost more than the rockguard, not to mention the inconvenience, especially during a rain storm.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
That is for sure and is exactly what I was thinking about.

Are the one piece guards made from Lexan or plexiglass? Or????

Lexan would be the bees knees.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
x

XXXX , XXXX
Andy has the best price $345 which is less than Out of doors mart.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:11 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Joplin , Missouri
Looks great?? Where can a guy go about getting bottle covers like those??? Thanks
pawnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:31 AM   #10
x

XXXX , XXXX
pawnguy OUT OF DOORS MART has them and probably INLAND RV will have them as well.

Tags
sovereign