Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2006, 05:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Cripes!!

BigEd, I was just now quoted $110 for the same thing!! This is the same window place that didn't know what bedding tape was. I had to explain, and promise and really swear up and down that I didn't need anything but the glass pane The guy kept saying "Well it has to attach to the vehicle somehow" and I said "Oh believe me, I know that" and I did my best to explain that it slides into a clamp and that I've installed 6 others of these and so...couldja just tell me how much it would cost...

I have some shopping around to do!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
You can get Heat tempered flat glass with pencil sanded edges, and rounded corners, from a glass shop for around $50.00 per window as I did for my trailer. I bought two (Front and Rear)

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:56 PM   #22
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Since this thread has resurfaced from more than 9 months ago, I feel obliged to apologize to azlantco for being gruff in my response (post #11). I was just trying to express that the “take it to a glass repair shop” response is a waste of time based on my personal experience with this rockguard. I didn’t just take the broken rockguard to my local glass shop, I took the whole trailer and was told “no way”.
All of we vintage owners have experince with various projects and I only meant to convey my first-hand eencounter. I still have the flimsy original 1971 rockguard hanging in my shed and will send it for shipping charge only to anyone who can convince me that they can make it work. The only positive result I have seen to this point is someone who laboriously fabricated an extruded aluminum pane to fit in the original frame. It served the purpose but was quite unsightly IMHO.
To further illustrate my sincerity of apology, I have granted karma points to the offended party which can be applied to the purchase of an airstreamforums t-shirt such as was promised years ago but is just about as likely to reach fruition as replacing the original flimsy plastic pane in a 1971 rockguard.
Perhaps the attached image will better illustrate how very difficult it would be to simply replace the broken pane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broken pane.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	26322  

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
California Dreamin'

Yikes! That's not right! I hope that business you went to isn't trying to gouge a woman! I can't believe the prices could be that much higher in California than here in the mid-west. I will check this price again tomorrow for you and let you know. I bought mine after I got the original price on flat windows from VTS. Now I am waiting to see the actual price from Inland on there exclusive made for Airstream glass. In fact I am going to their wrebsite after I post this. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
hmmmm...

You could be right, but my theory is that they don't cut the glass there so it's a special order. It's a little place that started out doing just locks and keys and they went into replacing auto glass on a basic level. I need to go to a better place. This is the same place that didn't know what bedding tape was, or Lexan for that matter.

I have plenty of choices out here where I live and I plan to exercise my options!! I'll keep you posted!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Yikes! That's not right! I hope that business you went to isn't trying to gouge a woman! I can't believe the prices could be that much higher in California than here in the mid-west. I will check this price again tomorrow for you and let you know. I bought mine after I got the original price on flat windows from VTS. Now I am waiting to see the actual price from Inland on there exclusive made for Airstream glass. In fact I am going to their wrebsite after I post this. Ed

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #25
lop

2004 16' International CCD
Bryan , Texas
I have a 16 foot Bambi 2004. The rear window fell out when I tried to open it while in Canada. No one in Canada would work on it. My airstream dealers here at home are over 100 miles away. Local glass shop said they could put in tinted plexiglass. I am new at all this. Should I go with the dealer or local glass company?
Tommy Coats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Coats View Post
I have a 16 foot Bambi 2004. The rear window fell out when I tried to open it while in Canada. No one in Canada would work on it. My airstream dealers here at home are over 100 miles away. Local glass shop said they could put in tinted plexiglass. I am new at all this. Should I go with the dealer or local glass company?
Duct tape soem plastic over the window, and take it to the dealer. If you don't want to tow it there, they can probably ship it to you. Installation is pretty easy if you want to tackle it yourself.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #27
lop

2004 16' International CCD
Bryan , Texas
thanks for the advice. i think i will just take it to the dealer. AC insaillation and duct tape held up pretty well. everyone says it looks like a real Texas redneck trailer now, just leave it alone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reddeer. 001.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	65195   Click image for larger version

Name:	reddeer. 049.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	65196  

Tommy Coats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

front rock guard middle panel on 2010 19' bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
The front window rock guard on our 2003 Safari is probably much different. Ours is cheap looking, flat, flimsy, and the smoked plastic is already wavy/warped from sun. If it broke I would not buy a new one from Airstream for $350+. I would just get a new piece of plexi and cut it to fit. Also, I have had good luck in the past bending plexi using a household oven.
i just noticed that my plastic rock guard that i thought was flat when i bought it is also looking warped from the az sun. i took delivery begining of june and it is now, well august. what did you do to yours if anything. it is still functioning perfectly but because it is still under warranty do yu think it would be something as would cover to replace? no very tuff this stuff they make i guess.
dsrtgrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
My 68 Trade Wind had the ribbed plastic rock guard. It was discolored and cracked. After checking the price of a new lexan replacement I decided to fix what I had. I sanded fir front and back, with progressively finer sand paper and the discoloration was removed. Next, I used West System epoxy and fiberglass cloth to cover the inside and back edges of the rock shield. This fixed all the cracks and reinforced the flange that is riveted to the aluminum frame. I did have a few bubbles so looking from the front is not a perfectly even color, but it is still translucent. Not perfect, but a heck of a lot cheaper and a 100% improvement over the way it was.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Google "Out of Doors mart". They might have a used or new one.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote