Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Front Window Guard

Well the passanger side font window guard has flown open for a second time and this time shattered the plastic.

Does anyone have a source, new or used, for the black plastic for a 91 34 footer? I think I can save the frame but if the frame comes with the plastic all the better.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Howie. One challenge will be to tape the original together for a template. I had a piece crack on my Argosy. The color is not easy to match locally but I took a piece to a local glass company and the shade was a little off -- but I really can't tell either from the inside or outside (on an Argosy with the clear pano windows). Gently pull out the pencil sized retainer bead -- you should be able to reuse it. Be sure not to stretch it putting it back in otherwise it will contract back once it sets for a while -- You almost have to push backwards toward the direction of the seated bead to keep from stretching.

The retaining screws only turn 90 degrees. Are the slots wearing? Why has it flown open so much? Hmm...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
p.s. - it won't be cheap. I wasn't satisified with the colors at the hardware store. The glass company got good quality material but it ran over $50 for the middle window on my rockguard. Be sure and pull the adhered paper off the new panel before you seat it permanently. It's #%U@# to take off after. Don't ask now I know...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
Well the passanger side font window guard has flown open for a second time and this time shattered the plastic.

Does anyone have a source, new or used, for the black plastic for a 91 34 footer? I think I can save the frame but if the frame comes with the plastic all the better.
Separate sections of the 3 piece rockguards are available, from stocking dealers.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The original rockguard on my 71 was just a aluminum frame with a few pieces of broken plastic. I got a sheet of 1/16" clear Lexan for about $50 and it looks real good. The clear lets me still use my rearview mirror through the trailer when towing. I took off the brackets as the original was moleded plastic and the Laxan sheet flat so I did not have the clearance for the brackets. I don't think it will matter as the window guard is light and will rest on the middle window when open. To get some tinted Lexan I would have had to special order and pay for shipping and with the extra cost of tinted, would have cost me 3x the cost of the clear.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Well it took the better part of 2 days but the frame is no straightened, that realy means it is recontoured to the trailer, and now I have to find the plastic.

If you are ever faced with this problem my I suggest mild heat from a torch will relax the frame while rebending it. I had to cut the corners angles out as they had frozened in place but hand made angles and stainless steel hardware worked fine.

I used hardware rather than rivits for easy of checking while working on the straightening.

As I mentioned this had happened once before but the plastic did not brake and I was able to reform the frame. I had installed additional hooks on the lower edge of the frame to the center glass but once the factor clip opened the hook failed after prolonged travel as evidenced by ware marks about the center window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	137_3714.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	54422   Click image for larger version

Name:	137_3715.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	54423  

Old 02-21-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
p.s. - it won't be cheap. I wasn't satisified with the colors at the hardware store. The glass company got good quality material but it ran over $50 for the middle window on my rockguard. Be sure and pull the adhered paper off the new panel before you seat it permanently. It's #%U@# to take off after. Don't ask now I know...
Hi CanoeStream

Found a source for the dark plexi. The vendor questioned the curve and said he could not do the curve. Since I can flatten the plexi now I assume the curve was a result of 17 years sitting in the frame. Did you do anything to impart the curve before you slide the plexi into the frame?

Old 05-28-2009, 07:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
To Anyone:
I have a 1977 International Soveirgn Land Yacht, the previous owner removed the privacy shield from the front and disassembled it. Now I have the frame in pieces and I have been able to somewhat piece it back to the original shape, what I dont know is how the arms that let it slide up are placed in the frame.
Placed in one direction it does not let it fold down into the clips on the trailer, the other direction the bracket would interfer with the Plexan.
I need detailed pictures of the entire frame, arms, open position, closed position, can anyone send these to me?

Mark "Sarge" Hutchens
SargeAF@Hotmail.com
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote