Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2021, 05:28 PM   #1
Texas Toaster

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Smithville , Texas
Front Sunglasses are not as shiny as before and I need to know if I can restore them

After a few years of Texas heat and washing my front sunglasses are a little scratched and dull. Is there any treatment to restore their former shine.
MarkW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
You can restore them the same way the plastic headlight lenses are restored. Lots of videos on the various techniques. Sanding and polishing will take a lot of time so I'd look at the coatings methods that fill the scratches and roughness and restore the smooth surface. I don't have a recommended brand. I have used one on the solar panels, and it worked nicely. Have not tried it on the rock guards.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:41 PM   #3
Texas Toaster

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Smithville , Texas
Thanks for the information. I have been receiving these forums for years but this has been my first post. I find you guys the best group of people to learn from. These sunglasses are really large for a polishing job but some sort of wax or coating to help might be an easier option. I have an appointment with the dealer to walbernize the trailer next week and maybe they have a product.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
I don't have the problem but my best advice is to take them to an auto detailer. Detailers have the equipment and know how to do the job. Not sure of the cost but it's bound to be much cheaper than replacements from Airstream. You could also invest in a random orbital polisher and do the job yourself for a couple of hundred dollars. There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to use a polisher if you want to see how it's done. Good luck either way!
Old 01-29-2021, 05:11 AM   #5
Texas Toaster

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Smithville , Texas
I have an appointment next week at the dealer for walbernize finish and plan on checking with their detail people. They really don’t look too bad and most don’t notice. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Go to motorcycle sites. There are some good plastic polishes for motorcycle windscreens and they are easy to apply, buff off. I used to use one for my boat dodger.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:20 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Nixa , Missouri
Once you get the shine back, add the vinyl wrap they use on cars to keep it protected.
Dlongworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:31 AM   #8

2017 30' International
Sandpoint , Idaho
Smile Griots Garage

There was a recent post from a person that polished some scratches out of door. He mentioned Griots Garage so I went to their site a subsequently spent at least an hour looking at their products (and filling a shopping cart) and watching their how to videos! They have stuff for plastic lenses and I plan on purchasing that along with all the stuff to repair my own scratches and make her shine again! I just gotta wait for the snow and cold to go away! Check out their site! Pretty amazing what can be done...who knew.
birkhipbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:51 AM   #9
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
Novus make a good plastic polish.... remember if you can feel the scratch its never going away.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:10 AM   #10
Texas Toaster

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Smithville , Texas
Thanks these are all great responses! I really like the wrap idea also. I don’t know why I didn’t think of the motorcycle windshield idea. Been detailing this Flying Cloud the last few days and these sunglasses are the last detail. Here in Texas we are in the 60’s this morning. Not much for spring, then summer by April. Hope to see you guys on the road.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:38 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
I would use Meguiar's plastic cleaner and polish before trying anything else.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/...0-10-oz-liquid
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:38 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Penn Laird , Virginia
I use “Plexus” Plastic Cleaner Protectant and Polish on my Airstream front tinted plexiglass rock guards with great results. I was introduced to it by motorcycling friends. They and I used it with great results on plexiglass motorcycle windshields. It does clean, polish and protect the rock guards well. Several applications/coats will be required on very neglected panels. You spray it from the spray can then smear it around and polish with a soft cloth. It’s easy to use. A little overspray on your clear coated aluminum will not hurt. Contrary to the advice of some here, I would never treat the panels like headlight covers. Sanding is totally unnecessary and I think would cause deep, permanent hazing. The material is much softer than headlight covers.
evamcmahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Plexus

Great product Aviation has used it for small plane canopies for years

Quote:
Originally Posted by evamcmahan View Post
I use “Plexus” Plastic Cleaner Protectant and Polish on my Airstream front tinted plexiglass rock guards with great results. I was introduced to it by motorcycling friends. They and I used it with great results on plexiglass motorcycle windshields. It does clean, polish and protect the rock guards well. Several applications/coats will be required on very neglected panels. You spray it from the spray can then smear it around and polish with a soft cloth. It’s easy to use. A little overspray on your clear coated aluminum will not hurt. Contrary to the advice of some here, I would never treat the panels like headlight covers. Sanding is totally unnecessary and I think would cause deep, permanent hazing. The material is much softer than headlight covers.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Plexus is good stuff.

I have also had good results with Novus #2 Fine Scratch Remover and will usually follow up with Meguiar's PlastX-Plastic Cleaner & Polish if the area 'pops' too much from the untreated section.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote