Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2006, 08:54 AM   #1
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Question Enkay Rock Tamers: Trim Length

Based on rave reviews in this forum, we just purchased the Enkay Rock Tamers for our F-250 and 30' classic and I will be installing this weekend.

Question to those who have the Enkays: how high above the ground did you trim them? Put differently, what ground clearance did you allow?
Thanks.
Tin Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Just Follow the Instructions and You'll do Fine

Greetings KJ,
You are going to love your Enkay Rock Tamers. The installation takes about 45 minutes if you follow their instructions.

Just remember, before you measure the required length of the flaps, you must hitch up your Airstream just as you would when you are going to tow it. Enkay recommends 3" to 4" inches off the ground, when you are hitched!

Use a good, steel straight edge like a carpenter's square, a utility knife with a new blade, and a piece of plywood as your cutting board.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
You will enjoy the Rock Tamers they are great. I trimmed mine off at 3" above the ground. I want all the help I can get keeping rocks from hitting my trailer. I used a saber saw with a metal cutting blade to trim mine off

Brad

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:28 PM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Be sure and note that the hollow metal tube is not a punch, but is instead intended to be used as a drill bit for bolt holes.

If you use it like a punch, as I did (having failed to read the directions), you will end up with having to find something else to make the holes with.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Pat is correct. If used as a drill bit, the hollow metal tool works amazingly well... unless you allow it to fill itself up with plugs. Then, you have to spend about 30 minutes digging the plugs out so you can finish the last three holes. Don't ask me how I know this.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Howdy, twin! I also have Enkay's on my F250, towing a 30' Classic. (4x4 truck)

When you trim them, as others have suggested, remember that you'll also be able to affect the length by tilting them forward or backward after they are cut off and installed. And, you can always cut off too little, and go back later to cut off more if needed, but if you cut off too much the first time...I'm sure nobody ever did that!

I have large mudflaps behind every tire on my truck in addition to the Enkays, and I still have a bit of gravel dings on the front of my trailer. I'd hate to think what it'd look like without them.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:45 PM   #7
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Job done

Thanks everybody.
I cut them at 3.5". If needed, they can be lowered a bit by adjusting the arms.

Just for the record, per the directions, I used a new blade in a box-cutter knife and cut the flaps along a steel edge (T-square) on a board. Worked just fine... took about five passes to get through.

Also per the instructions, I used the steel tube as a hole punch. It was quite sharp at the cutting end, and did a great job. Since it was hollow, I just pushed the plugs out from the other end with a skinny screwdriver.

Everything seems to be shipshape. We'll be travelling Houston-Steamboat Springs soon, so we're ramping up to prep the coach.

Thanks again.
Tin Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote