Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Enkay questions

I have reviewed the posts covering Enkay "flood maps" and still have a couple questions.

I have the opportunity to drive several tow vehicles, other than my own each year. The receiver heights can vary up to 4 - 5" among these vehicles.

1) If I set up the Enkay for the lowest of these vehicles, and trim the rubber flaps, in order to use it on the taller vehicle I may potentially have to rotate the bracket to the horizontal position to maintain proper ground clearance. This would move the rods and flaps what appears in all the pics to be about 4" closer to the Stream. Has anyone run them in the horizontal position? Will it make my turning radius short enough that I will have to worry when backing into a site etc?
Should I just make up a second set of flaps and swap them out with different tow vehicles?

2) Is it still consensus that 3" is the best ground clearance after extended experience?

Thanks!
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I don't have the Enkay flaps, but made my own to function like them, only better.

I would get several sets of the rubber parts, and cut them as needed for the different vehicles. Go to a truck supply place, and you can buy the heavy duty flap material rather inexpensive.

Yes, I think that 3 to 4" of clearance when loaded is a good height, assuming the flaps are mounted at the very rear of the TV as the Enkays are.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Hi, I have the Enkays on my receiver and use the Expedition. The only info I can add is that there is plenty of room if I wished that I could put the flaps in horizontal position.

My receiver has a bar that accommodates (sp?) the Enkay attachment; this gives room (and flex) between the tow vehicle and the trailer for turning. I am not wild about the "flex" but the whole thing works At least between the mushy Espedition suspension and the flex of the receiver the Airstream has an easy ride.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote