Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
I saw a used one, but wasn't sure if it would fit. It is a 3-piece "narrow" body rockguard from an 87. I doubt the width would be a problem since it is narrow body, but since it designed for panoramic windows I was wondering if it would wrap around the sides too far, possibly covering the outdoor flood light? If it didn't cover the flood light, I guess it would look OK? If nothing else, it would protect the quarter panels.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Insulative Effect

A benefit not yet touched on is the insulative effect, i.e. the rock shields act as a double pane window, BUT only if they are massaged to make full contact with the Airstream body. My 2002 ASCL’s curved rock shields were VERY poorly fit and I spent several hours massaging them so that the rubber gasket made good full contact at every point. Now they capture an effective dead air space between them and the front windows.

I also have a nice “ding” in the curb side shield from a rock hit which probably would have taken out the curved window.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Are there any for old trailers, or photos of people's creations..? I've got to come up with something for my O... Was trying to figure out how/ etc. And should it protect just the front window or ...
Rae

via~ AIR Forums App.

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
I'm beating a dead horse here, but after removing and rebuilding both front wing windows, the rock guards are a must. Think of your front windows like a pond in a golf course, come to think of it, a well hit golf ball is going about as fast as a rock thrown by an oncoming vehicle. A rock guard with a few miles on it will probably have more than a few hits on it.
pgr32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Fair Oaks , California
Just a quick note , not to highjack this thread , but if anyone has just the center section of the the three piece solar rock guards for sale, I am interested. I have a 1976 Argosy 26 . Thanks !!!
Argosy Heir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy Heir View Post
Just a quick note , not to highjack this thread , but if anyone has just the center section of the the three piece solar rock guards for sale, I am interested. I have a 1976 Argosy 26 . Thanks !!!
That center section is available from a dealer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
After seeing the prices for replacement curved windows, I picked up a rock guard from Andy while I was in California on vacation several months back. Not a super difficult installation; I'd give it about 0.1 SFRR (Standard Furnace Remove & Replace). I did it all myself; they say you need a helper, but not if you take the top hinge off and mount it separately. There's a good video up on YouTube about the installation.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
Does anyone know about the Clear rock guards that were available in the early '70s ?

I would like to find one.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Someone on the forums replaced his rock guard plex himself. You should be able to replace yours with clear plex. I leave finding the article to you...
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airline View Post
Does anyone know about the Clear rock guards that were available in the early '70s ?

I would like to find one.
The original clear rockguards were a failuyre at best, when it came to it's life.

Cracking was a guarantee.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Are they necessary? All I can say is that I have at least 4 large star cracks from rock hits over a 4 year period. They are spread over all three covers and would surely have resulted in multiple broken windows. Necessary? Yes, IMO.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote