Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
3 Rockguard Questions

Looks like we are closing in on buying our very first Airstream! We have now budgeted Rockguards and segment protectors into the cost, as none of the 7 or so Vintage trailers we've seen so far have had them installed. It also looks most likely that we'll purchase an '78 Argosy we're in the process of having inspected:
1) Should the standard AS Rockguards at Out of Doors Mart work on those larger-sized panoramic windows on an Argosy?
2) I understand these items are to protect our AS while traveling, and that the segment protectors are more or less permanent, but what abt. the RG in the campground? I'm hoping they are meant to come off easily, as otherwise it seems they would cut down on the view thru these beautiful windows. . .

3) And lastly, does Out of Doors Mart have a physical, storefront location we could visit in order to save the shipping costs on these large items? This Argosy is located in NC, only 3 hrs from ODM in Colfax, NC, so we could plan to travel there after purchasing the trailer and before bringing it home to ATL. . .
Thanks!
Susan
ArtWithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
I picked up some "rock tamers" (real fancy mud flaps) to protect the windows and front end of our trailer. They are a nice product and cheaper for those of use that can't get out hands on an aftermarket rock guard for the front windows. I really like that they are not a permanent install on our tow vehicle, and they where half the price of the front window guard.

Just an option, but the "rock tamers" do make the hitch quite heavy.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
There is a thread on the forum about installing Solar rock guards on a Argosy . The center guard opens up but the side guards aren't ment to open they are fastened with 2 locking screws and hinged at the rear of the guards . Good luck with your purchase . Les Grace wbcci #14183
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Can't help with your rock guard questions but can tell you that ODM is just east of Winston Salem, NC on I40 and has a sales lot for trailers, and an indoor showroom/parts/service area. They are Airstream's longest running dealer and very good folks to do business with. Tons of parts and an excellent service dept.

Good luck with your project.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtWithin View Post
Looks like we are closing in on buying our very first Airstream! We have now budgeted Rockguards and segment protectors into the cost, as none of the 7 or so Vintage trailers we've seen so far have had them installed. It also looks most likely that we'll purchase an '78 Argosy we're in the process of having inspected:
1) Should the standard AS Rockguards at Out of Doors Mart work on those larger-sized panoramic windows on an Argosy?
Yes, as long as it's a 96" trailer, and not a Minuet. The Minuet is narrower, and the center rock guard will have to be modified (narrowed) to fit.
Quote:
2) I understand these items are to protect our AS while traveling, and that the segment protectors are more or less permanent, but what abt. the RG in the campground? I'm hoping they are meant to come off easily, as otherwise it seems they would cut down on the view thru these beautiful windows. . .
The rock guards on each side are on a hinge that can be swung out and lifted off the trailer easily. The center guard will swing up, and can be set in the open position using the thumbscrews that come with the guard. Most people simply leave them in place and closed, unless you want to open the front window for ventilation. The guards look cool, and will help keep the glare and heat out of the trailer.
Quote:

3) And lastly, does Out of Doors Mart have a physical, storefront location we could visit in order to save the shipping costs on these large items? This Argosy is located in NC, only 3 hrs from ODM in Colfax, NC, so we could plan to travel there after purchasing the trailer and before bringing it home to ATL. . .
Yes, we have a physical location, as well as a shop to install the guards. I would call and make sure we have a set of guards before you head over, I'd hate for y'all to drive up, only to find we just sold our last set to somebody else.
Quote:
Thanks!
Susan
You're welcome. Food for thought... Unless you are planning to paint the Argosy silver, or strip and polish it, those segment protectors will stick out like a sore thumb. The 1970's-era Airstream and Argosy trailers used a harder aluminum which does not dent as easily as the newer ones. Unless you are planning on traveling the Alaska Highway with it (lots of sharp rocks), I would reconsider installing them. You can buy a lot of touch-up paint for the cost of those protectors. And since it is painted, Bondo is also cheap.