Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
3-Piece Rock Guard installation tips?

Hi all, Getting ready to install the 3 piece rock guards on our Argosy. I've studied the instuctions and reviewed the post on the Argosy minuet, but I was wondering if anybody had any advice or tips on the install. One thing I noticed is that my top hinge for the center section does not have the 2 sided tape described in the instructions. Should I run a bead of vulkem along the hinge or just seal it with parbond after it's installed? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, George
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
You can go to a store front glass company and get some double sided foam tape. I would use it to mount the frame then vulkem. That will give you two independent barriers for leaks, it comes in 1/16" and 1'8" and different widths.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
Thanks, I may do that. I guess not too many people install these themselves. Any other tips? G
Old 07-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkiesel View Post
Thanks, I may do that. I guess not too many people install these themselves. Any other tips? G
Self-tapping screws. Even if you remove them, and put stainless screws in their place, the self-tappers make installing the hinge much easier.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
Well, the installation is complete, and I must say the trailer looks awesome with the sunshades on. While it's still fresh in my mind I thought I would answer my own question concerning some install tips.

1. The instructions included with the guards are at best adequate, but they leave out quite a bit to ensure a good job.

2. Mount the center section first and then determine where the stay arms go. Don't assume that the center of the hinge is in the center of the center section. My hinge was off center by about 3/4 of an inch. Find the exact center of the rock guard and mark it with a pencil, transfer this mark onto the hinge as well. Then find the exact center of the trailer window and mark that above where the hinge will go. Now you can line up the center of the guard with the center of the window even if the hinge is not perfect on the guard.

3. Using a tip from Out of Doors Mart, remove one of the rivets from the end of the hinge and slide the hinge out of the center section. By doing this it makes it alot easier to mount the hinge good and square. Pre drill the holes in the hinge.

4.After drilling each hole run a screw in and out of the hole. I did this by hand so as not to strip the hole. The first time in the screw will be very tight, but will cut itself threads. Then you can remove the screw, put a dab of Vulkem in the hole and mount whatever you need to mount. Buy extra SS screws. Your bound to strip at least one or two, and you'll be glad you have extras.

5. Following a tip from JANET in the Argosy forum, I also redrilled the holes in the main hinges closer to the outside of the hinge. This kept the holes in the rivet line of the window frame which is safer for the glass.

6. When mounting the rubber hold downs on the front, neither distance below the rub rail given in the instuctions would work on our Argosy. The hold downs had to be mounted almost directly under the rub rail so as to be long enough to engage with the window. Beware, do not drill the holes without first checking if the rubber strap will reach.

Hope these tips help anyone attempting this install. Total time was almost 4 hours. Most of it was checking that it all lined up before marking the holes to drill. Good Luck, G
Old 06-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
I know this is an old post, but many thanks, these tips were very helpful for my installation.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
Glad it helped. That's the beauty of the Forum, it lives on forever. G