Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
Aluminitus Carrier

1968 26' Overlander
south lake tahoe , California
Send a message via Skype™ to lovingtahoe
1975 Tradewind RockGuard latches

We have the original corrugated clear rock guard over the front window. It is in prettty good shape only the bottom latches are missing and has twisted rusty wire holding it down. Does anyone know what the original latches look like or what we could replace them with.

WBCCI - #4066 / Sierra Nevada Unit 157
TAC - # CA-9
South Lake Tahoe, California
lovingtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingtahoe
We have the original corrugated clear rock guard over the front window. It is in prettty good shape only the bottom latches are missing and has twisted rusty wire holding it down. Does anyone know what the original latches look like or what we could replace them with.
The original rockguard that you have was outdated some 30 years ago.

It was replaced with one that has a heavy duty frame, that uses rubber "T" handles for hold downs.

I am afraid that those holddowns would break your rockguard.

New rockguards are less expensive than the one you have, and are solar gray.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
I too am replacing my Rockgaurd with lexan ,and also need some name ,or a picture of the things that are capable of holding my rock guard in place as we travel he bumpy roads of northern Michigan.....ANY help at all ? Pictures maybe?
PINKBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerboy View Post
I too am replacing my Rockgaurd with lexan ,and also need some name ,or a picture of the things that are capable of holding my rock guard in place as we travel he bumpy roads of northern Michigan.....ANY help at all ? Pictures maybe?
Hi Rollerboy; My 1973 26' Argosy was in the need of window guards. I have looked at different ideas and I did not liked the way they fitted.
Had a bright idea of forming them on my own. Purchased sheets of Polycarbonate with hardened surface in 3/16". Using pre cut to 1" squares Clegicell rigid Urethane foam which is glued on one side to fiberglass cloth, I have cut it to form the window size and tapped it
tight to each of the two curved windows. The bulge in the glass was matched. Then I have applied resin to the external side of the foam while being taped to the window. After the resin set up the form was removed carefully and the glass side was covered with Kevlar cloth and coated with Vinyl ester resin. Those were to be used as molds to form a Polycarbonate guards. Polycarbonate requires pre-heating for two hours to dry up so that bubbles do not form within the Polly. Then it takes 425 Degrees of heat to form them. By the time I was ready to form them I found out my friend sold his oven. Ditching the idea, I took the alternative. Added another coat to both sides, finish sanded the molds and painted them to match my Arg color.
I have installed a 3/32" X 4" SS tabs into routered slots in the edges of the Clegicell molds using resin to bond them into the provided slots. The ends were rounded off and 1/4" mounting holes were pre drilled prior to installation into the molds. Using a 3/8" wide 1/16 " thick SS strip cut to 1' in length I have drilled a 3/16 hole in the center and countersunk it to accept a #10 SS machine screw. On each side of it 1/8" holes were drilled for 1/8 closed end SS rivet. The mounting fixtures were riveted between the frame mounting rivets in order to stay clear of the glass. Using a SS knurled round nuts 1/2" OD made a nice set of fasteners. when I hit the campground it takes two minuted to remove them. I have duplicated a sample sheet, it stops a 22 cal bullet. Cost, $72.00, labor 6.5 hours. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerboy View Post
Rollerboy,
These are what hold down the Rock guards on both our '87 and '06

They can be found here...

Rock Guard Hold Down 381021-01 [381021-01] - $9.95 : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
Perfect ! And a Picture for my slow brain to see...Thanks for the link,will order it a.s.a.p !!!!!
PINKBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Central , California
Pepsi

Pepsi looks great. Hope all is well.

I was popping around looking for restoration tips and happened across your entry.

I recognized those rusty old wires holding down the rock guard.

I think I have seen latches like the ones on the guard at Home depot. Honestly, I believe they just used standard - off the shelf cabinet latches on that rock guard.

Ciao - the Heatlie family
Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I used the 2 part door latches available from Inland RV. You will have to shim them, but the work fine.

I replaced my rock guard plastic with Lexan. Only problem was the flat lexan interferes with the supports that hold the rock guard open. It is not a big deal as the open front window will also hold it open.