Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2006, 08:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
1966 Caravel Rock Guard Replacement

Hello,

If this is a question already asked, please forgive me. I did a search and did not find an answer. Here is my question: Is there a sutable aftermarket replacement for the front window rock guard on a 66 Caravel? Mine has the original factory guard - but it is a sad state and I would like to keep it for an example to be reproduced if necessary. I see alot of replacements that look like clear or green corrigated roofing fiberglass material or just plain lexan from HD. Is that what people are using?

Thank You, Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:30 PM   #2
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Hi Mike. You can see a sample of an aftermarket solar gray rockguard on inlandrv.com (part #34996). Other dealers might have them as well.
If you search the archives you will find that some members have fabricated their own. I remember seeing one made with aluminum sheeting.
Best of luck.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Thanks Rog,

I have had an Idea to have a local plexiglass operation bend some ridges in a sheet for strength and form a new guard. Cost can be an issue but I will keep trying. Your AS looks great.

Mike
Old 01-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi Mike,

I'd like to hear if you come up with a suitable solution. I have some holes in my rock guard (I guess it did it's job) and would like to get it as spiffy looking as the rest of the trailer, but it doesn't look like replacing it with a flat sheet would be easy to do without building a new frame for it. I have thought that if I did this, I would want to go with Lexan or some other crack resistant plastic. Otherwise the first rock that hit it might take it out. I've had plexi shatter in the shop and it goes all to pieces. It would be nice if the rock guard was clear so you could see out the front window without raising it.

There are the black covers like the modern AS use, but I don't like the look of them on a vintage trailer.

So be sure to let us know how it goes. If you figure it out, make a couple and you could probably make a few bucks doing it

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Stephanie

You're right, the aftermarket rock shield by Inland RV has a new frame and must have new brackets to prop up the shield, thus it lays flat on the outside of the camper like the modern version. My factory shield has the prop rod attached to the shield itself and not the frame. I would have to fashion a bracket that projects past the flat lexan and have a slot for the prop rod to move up and down. The easiest way would be to get rid of the prop rod but than there would be no way to have the cover open in the camp grounds. I have enough of the shield left to fiberglass cover then replace it but that would look like a big patch job. Still working on this and many other issues with my not so new AS.
Mike
Old 01-03-2006, 06:18 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Of course the really easiest thing would be to just replace the front window with something pretty much unbreakable like lexan, and then not worry about it.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Rock Guard Replacement

Clancy Boy, You Might Also Try To Get Hold Of Some Aluminum. Then Find Someone Who Does Siding/guttering Work In Your Area, To Have Them Use Their Break, And Using Your Fiberglass As A Template, They Could Fabricate You An All Aluminum Rock Guard. That Would Look Good With Your Trailer, And Keep A More Original Look Vs. The Newer Lexan Rock Guards That They Sell Now. Just A Point To Ponder. Ed
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
BIGED52,

That's not that bad of an idea since I live in ground zero for Hurricane Katrina and there are ALOT of people around here advertising metal work for roofs and siding. Have to give that one some thought.

Mike
Old 01-04-2006, 07:46 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Amherst , New York
Rock Guard Replacement

Hi Mike,

I have a 1969 Caravel that had the original rockguard. The guard had been hit a few times and it looked pretty sad. Instead of replacing the plastic I decided to buy the replacement rockguard from Inland RV. It's expensive, but it was easy for me to install and it improved the looks of the Caravel. An added bonus is that you can see outside while getting privacy inside of the trailer. The guard is now a few years old and I'm well satisfied with it.

Dave
Bibinstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #10
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
It's worthy of note to this discussion that Airstream introduced the curved wrap-around front windows in 1969, thus the rockguards 1969 and newer are the curved and contoured style whereas 1968 and older were the smaller and much simpler flat rectangular style. Both types are listed on Inland's site. The '69 and newer would be much harder to fabricate.
Bibinstruct (Dave) makes an important point in that you can see through the Lexan guards from the inside.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Dave, do you have a picture of your trailer you could post so we can see what it looks like?

Oh, and I see you're new - Welcome to the forum!

Old 01-04-2006, 12:40 PM   #12
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Hi Steph, hopefully Dave will oblige with the photos but in the meanwhile I used my Paint program to "install" a solar rockshield on your '68. It's a bit rough but you get the picture.
The Paint program is very handy for previewing how any cosmetic changes will alter your Airstream before actually making the change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STEF.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	17430  

Old 01-04-2006, 02:11 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Ha ha! Thanks, Rog. I saw that and thought, why, it looks just like my caravel! Not bad!

Old 01-04-2006, 03:17 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Big Bear Lake , California
What Rock Guard

I went with Stephanie's notion. Mine didn't come with a rock guard but I simply replaced the front window with clear GE MR10 Lexan. It's suppossed to be shotgun proof. Although you don't want to use a paper towel to wipe it down with! Lexan also comes tinted if color is what you want. Here's where I got mine; http://mywebpages.comcast.net/progla...cing.htm#sheet
The Lexan website at GE also spells out it's performance qualities and indicates the material can be cut with a carbide saw blade.
Wardinbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Ok, to give you an idea of my background, I am an Oceanographer for the Navy. My job is to operate deep diving AUV (autonomus underwater vehicles) for the Navy and interpret the data they collect. What I am getting at is this, I have at my disposal an entire crew of over educated engineers and machinists and a machine shop that would make anyone with an AS glow with envy. I cannot use this place for my repairs but advice is free. They have come up with an idea for a replacement for the front rock guard and all the stuff is available at HD. I will pick up the items in the morning (for me the HD is on the way to/from work) and will post a picture this weekend. It will use the existing frame and struts and will install using a pop-rivit gun with a drill. Hope this works or I will eat my words, but I have a feeling we have all made repairs/replacements of things on 60's AS models from aftermarket stuff.

Mike
Old 01-04-2006, 06:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Mike,
I will be watching. I have what is left of the original one form one of my trailers. I have talked to a couple of shops about forming a new on. Not cheep by anyones standards!!
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Ok, I made the new rock guard yesterday from parts I bought from HD. One sheet of 36"X42" LEXAN ($49.00) and several lengths of 1"X1" aluminum angle. I carefully removed the rivets holding the old guard plastic in place (after I removed the whole assembly from the trailer) and cleaned up the frame. I made a Z with two pieces of the aluminum rivited together and attached that to the old frame - then cut the LEXAN to fit. I then used rivets to hold the lexan to the new Z extension to the frame. I had to put the Z aluninum on the old frame so the original prop supports would still tuck into the frame when the guard was in the stowed position. Looks fine but I need to road test. I am worried abot the wind stress on the lexan and on the rivets holding it in. I may place a piece of foam between the guard and window to give additional support while towing. Pictures will follow soon. Total cost was about $60.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Would it be possable to post a photo of the "Z" attachment?? I can follow the rest but ge a little triped up on the "Z" part of it.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1966, 1966 caravel, caravel