RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-24-2007, 07:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Go for the awnings.............you'll be thankful later.

But it's not hard to install additional window awnings at some point in the future if you desire it. I do a bunch every year.

BTW, every Zip-Dee awning comes with an aluminum cover so that the fabric is not exposed while rolled up. If it doesn't have a cover, it probably isn't a Zip-Dee.

Remember, Zip-Dee was the inventor of the aluminum covered awning roller tube quite a few years ago. All of the others copied their design but still offer low priced models with exposed fabric. Again, EVERY ZIP-DEE comes with a complete aluminum cover.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:39 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Nice Airstream SilverGate, I did check out your photos, and must say you guys are very good at decorating! I was very impressed. Sounds like you really got a nice option package also.

I ordered the same color, Midnight Sun, the second Fantastic Fan, 23" TV upgrade, Generator Prep Remote, and the awning package. I will look into getting that reverse switch added on.

Stupid question, but what is the normal direction of the fan, I assume it sucks air out of the AS, correct?

We will really need to run a generator, as I need to have air conditioning due to health reasons. That is why we did not go the solar panel route, as much as we like that idea, we could really not do both. ($$$)

Diane
bernermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:54 AM   #23
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Go for the full awning package it will be worth the money. I did. If you camp in the summer where is gets anywhere over 80 you will thank youself many times.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom
Stupid question, but what is the normal direction of the fan, I assume it sucks air out of the AS, correct?
Stupid answer maybe. Questions are always good!

The installed Fantastic Fan is exhaust only. Two-way FFs can be bought on the aftermarket IIRC. Up until about 3 years ago the factory offered an option of one intake and one exhaust FF but they discontinued that. Wasn't it something to do with pulling in black tank vent fumes in certain wind conditions?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:22 AM   #25

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I'm not sure what they are doing on the other models but the Classic's were getting a two way front fan and the rear fan was exhaust only. I think the fan type has a lot to do with the position of the holding tank vent location.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:09 PM   #26
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Both of my factory installed fan WERE out only. So where does the air come from? Leaks! I found myself leaving the front vent open but off a lot. I called Fantastic Vent and got a reversing kit for my front vent. Now I can have the front one blow in and my rear one out. Significantly improves cooling. The conversion is fairly simple if you can use a pair of wire cutters and crimpers.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Go for the awnings...you will love them...

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:15 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Diane, glad you included 2 Fantastic Fans for your Safari in your factory build order!

The fans will both pull air out of the Safari as set up by the factory.
But you will find many advantages to having the front fan with a reversible switch…
Which can really increase airflow when you need it.

We found that it is also handy to use when cooking and frying…
It will cut down on the incidence of the smoke detector going off!

The Fantastic Fan-Vent Company’s customer support is great…
Tell them that you just ordered your Airstream with 2 Fantastic Fans and would like them to send you or your dealer their free reversible fan switch kit.
http://www.fantasticvent.com/
Your dealer will probably install this for you at no additional charge…
At least mine did!

Good Luck and Congratulations fellow New Jerseyite!
(I’m originally from New Jersey but no longer choose to shovel snow)!

SilverGate
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:03 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Thanks so much for that info on the Fan, SilverGate, I will definitely contact them for the reversible fan switch kit.

I live way down in Cape May County, where in New Jersey were you from?

Diane
Old 10-25-2007, 07:43 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2004 25' Safari
2018 26' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Flying Cloud
North Central Texas , USA
Awnings are good.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:44 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
One more vote for get all the awnings that you can. I have a 34' and when the sun is out that baby cooks. Get awnings everywhere.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Thumbs up awning package

Two Fantastic fans and awnings all around; you'l be glad.

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:15 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom
Thanks so much for that info on the Fan, SilverGate, I will definitely contact them for the reversible fan switch kit.

I live way down in Cape May County, where in New Jersey were you from?

Diane
You're very welcome!

And since you asked (and this is your thread) well...
I was born in Princeton, grew up in Hightstown (Exit 8 of the turnpike)...
and went to college in New Brunswick... Rutgers.

Thanks for asking... and Congratulations again on your new Safari!

SilverGate
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:22 AM   #34
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate
You're very welcome!

And since you asked (and this is your thread) well...
I was born in Princeton, grew up in Hightstown (Exit 8 of the turnpike)...
and went to college in New Brunswick... Rutgers.

Thanks for asking... and Congratulations again on your new Safari!

SilverGate
SG,

That brings back a lot of old memories. I lived in northern Jersey (Bergen County) for a lot of my early years. Had a jewelry shop in Cliffside Park for 15 years.

I had an Aunt/Uncle named Bogatz who had a farm in Heightstown along with a bungalow colony and we used to spend the summers there in my very early days.

Haven't been there in 40 years. I'm sure it's a very different place now!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:32 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Silvergate, my daughter also went to Rutgers, class of 96. Oh no I am getting old! She lived in Colorado for a while and now lives in Salt Lake City. I hope you are not affected by the terrible fires out there.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:31 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
YES! and YES!

Awnings: I will add my "YES!" to additional awning packages along with SilverGate and others...either factory or post purchase installation. Our 19' Bambi did not have the factory install at purchase, but we did add the package, and the dealer had no problem installing it...probably a bit less expensive to order with the package, though. The roadside and rear awnings are a snap to deploy or put away (and they all have the metal coverings when put away, BTW)... We are still experimenting with their impact, but they (a) look great, and (b) provide shade to the skin when none exists...which has got to be a good thing! (Our dealer calls them "portable trees.") And I must say that with a little practice even the curb side awning goes up and down easily...I can do it by myself in a matter of minutes now...and if 2 of us do it together, it's even faster. (Initially the side lock-arms were hard to get locked, but a dry spray lubricant on those lock arms made them slide & lock easily)... The streat side and rear awnings are not as large, of course, so they can stand a bit more breeze than the curb side, but we sill pput them up at night or when we don't really need them if there are questionable gusts.

Fantastic fans: We only have one Fantastic fan...in the front...and a regular non-fan vent in the back over the bed area. The Fantastic fan only blows outward, and I am thinking of doing the reverse switch, though we find that in this size trialer if we open the back vent and turn the front vent on, the Fantastic fan draws air in nicely through the non-fan vent. which is what we like for cool sleeping. (Given the option, however, I would have both be Fantastic fans and both reversible! It just gives one more options...and we like options! This is on my "think about it" list...)

Happy times...
TB
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair & PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #37
P&J
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Schaumburg , IL
Thanks for the info on the Fantastic Fans. When we ordered our 2008 25' FB we thought we were getting the reversable fans. When it arrived we were told it was no longer available. Just one more disapointment with our local dealer. I will call the fan manufacture to get them.

We also got the awning package, and so far love them
P&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&J View Post
Thanks for the info on the Fantastic Fans. When we ordered our 2008 25' FB we thought we were getting the reversable fans. When it arrived we were told it was no longer available. Just one more disapointment with our local dealer. I will call the fan manufacture to get them.

We also got the awning package, and so far love them
When you order the fans, be sure to get the 6000RBT or 6000RBTA fans. These are thermostatically-controlled, and close when it starts to rain. The 6000RBTA has a remote control with it. We have the RBT, and are happy with it, I specified no remote, as I have more remotes than Tim Allen, and don't want to have to keep up with yet another...
Old 06-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello We will be ordering awnings patio and side awnings for the Argosy, we are thinking of going to the Zip Dee factory on our way south... has anyone done this and what was your experience like?? Thanks Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:31 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I phoned Zip Dee Customer Service last week; we want the rear and road-side awnings added and our trailer is a 2002 Classic.

The lady said that Zip Dee could match the original patio awning (Airstream blue) and there is no problem

We are now parked for the summer season in an Airstream Park and really need the protection from the sun.

Dillons in Apache Junction charges $110 per hour now......think the awnings are going to cost (rear-$345, road-side-$750) so do not know what the final charges will be. I am just happy that the awnings are available.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote