Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Whitefield , New Hampshire
Talking Things Happen For a Reason.. Bought a New 2008 27ft Safari SE

Hello all...

I do believe that things happen for a reason...

About a little over a year ago, I found and bought a 1972 28ft International Overlander from a couple in NY. They were the original owners of the trailer and they had done an amazing job keeping it nice and original. I fell in love with it (site unseen...just from the pics posted on airstream classifieds). All the paperwork, manuals, receipts were kept and given over to me. Everything worked well! New A/C, furnace, etc. The husband was even once the president of the Wally Byam club of the NE! Needless to say, I soon became friends with them.

I spent about 3 camping trips with the trailer since buying it (by the way, I paid way too much for it I thought...12.5K to be exact...but at the time, I didn't care because I fell in love with the trailer). The only thing that needed to be replaced was the axles that was original to the rig. It still towed great, although one side was a tad lower than the other, so I decided it was time to have it replaced.

I found a great guy in Platsburg, NY who worked on Airstreams. I took my trailer there and left it for the weekend. The following Monday, I got the BAD news.

I was told that the entire frame was RUSTED and that he was surprised I even got it to him, considering that it was in such bad shape! He advised me against towing it as it was DANGEROUSLY corroded.

After getting a quote of 40K for replacing the entire frame, I accepted the fact that I needed to just let the trailer go.

After two days of going online in search of another trailer...I found a brand new 2008 (sat in the lot since 2008 at the dealer) 27ft Safari SE! Made an offer and was accepted!

I am so thrilled and happy with my new Airstream! On top of getting a great deal on it, I also have a 2 year warranty!

I am sad that I lost my first classic Airstream...but, I've enjoyed it a couple times and will miss it. I am somewhat disappointed that the previous owners have not responded to my email when I notified them of the problem with the trailer and why I had to dispose of it.

Call me naive, but I don't think that they didn't know how bad (if they even knew) the frame rust was. They did own it for over 40 years and they did tell me that they went to Florida yearly for the Winter.

Lesson learned. I'm moving on...

Here's a few pics of my new trailer...

Vinny

vinnysca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Nice Vinny! You will like it trouble free.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
lucca53

1973 31' Excella 500
2004 22' Safari
2006 25' Safari
napa , California
Sweet enjoy your new airstream
lucca53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
We have a 2009 27' Ocean Breeze and just love it. I ame sure you will have many years of great memories in your new AS!
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:27 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
I am glad that you were willing to share your experience. Its a lesson to all of us when purchasing something with a great deal of emotional attachment. Best to get someone else do an inspection before committing too much into it.
Love the new trailer! I know yure going to be happy with it.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:47 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Your new trailer looks great. Hopefully, you'll be able to keep it for 40 years.

You're not alone in the rusted frame department, I had to replace the left frame rail on ours, from the A frame to the axles. It's too bad there isn't an economical way to x-ray and check these.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Scott AFB , Illinois
Beautiful trailer. Congrats. I love the open feel of the twin beds and how you can use them as another lounge area.
smhx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Whitefield , New Hampshire
Thanks guys! I am going to embark on my first camping trip with my new rig this weekend. I can't believe I found a campground in Vermont that still had an opening!!! Most of the campgrounds here in the Whitemountains and lakes region were full!

We had a thunderstorm today at work and had hail the size of quarters! Luckily, it didn't reach my town which was only 12 miles away. Came home to an intact, dent-free airstream! hehehe.

Vinny
vinnysca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnysca View Post
Call me naive, but I don't think that they didn't know how bad (if they even knew) the frame rust was. They did own it for over 40 years and they did tell me that they went to Florida yearly for the Winter.
Well, from your photos and description you did wind up with a wonderful trailer, but I have to say that, in your place, I would have gone one step further.

I would most certainly have contacted the PO to let him know that the unit he sold you was in near disaster-causing condition, and that you disposed of it for safety reasons. I would do it in a letter, or email, to give him a chance to consider any response he might care to give you, and also to avoid a confrontational conversation.

I wouldn't expect any kind of recompense, since a deal is a deal, but I think that if he is as nice a person as you described, something might happen to surprise you.

While a deal is a deal, I also believe that fair is fair...

Enjoy your new and beautiful trailer!