Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
safari sport 2008, fridge..&.sink faucet

i am on the road traveling from ny to newfoundland,two things are really annoying ....one,the fridge is very small and has no temp settings as a result things freeze....i shut it off here and there to warm it up..any thoughts on eventually replacing it????
The faucet which folds into the sink is on its last legs...its apparently french and very expensive to replace ($500 or so )why not then unscrew the cover,and install a regular faucet???any thought on that????otherwise everything works and is a pleasure to travel with....just love it...thanks M.V.
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I do not know about your fridge but the sink faucet can be easily replaced. The faucet industry is actually very standardized. Any hardware store such as Lowes or Home Depot will have exactly what you need for a replacement. They come in several standard configured hole spacing. You can pull the old unit and take it to the store for an exact fit match.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:47 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Re: the refrigerator: There may be a thermistor clipped to the cooling fins that you can move to adjust the temperature it maintains. Here's a video about it.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Actually….

$500 is just a little high priced for a kitchen faucet.

I work with a guy who guts kitchens and baths, then remodels.

We work closely with a few plumbers. They steered me away from the
" garbage " at Home Depot. Check prices, and get recommendations at a plumbing supply house. That way you will have a gauge on what you need to spend. I spent $375 on mine 10 years ago.

Many of the new faucets are plastic with a chrome looking finish. Are you sure the existing faucet is too far gone to be rebuilt?
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The faucet in his unit is a fold down one which fits into the sink when it is covered. It is a specialized unit, and not the same as any US made system.

If you can find a faucet to fit the hole (maybe a single hole system) and you don't mind the lack of folding up, anything which you like is fair game.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Garbage at Home Depot? Last time I was there they had all the name brand faucets. I bought a Kohler faucet, definetly not garbage. As for the fridge; I adjusted ours a bit downward to prevent freezing and it works great.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Sink & Frig

A faucet should last longer than seven years. Can't it be repaired? We have the same trailer. Our faucet is fine. We had the same trouble with the frig and finally found that the solution was to adjust the sensor closer to the cooling fins.
dalemonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
its a cheap version of a dometic...it only has automatic refrigerator temperature control....will have to replace it when i get home..thanks..M
Old 07-22-2015, 02:42 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
yes, i will have to think about it,either order a new faucet or,undo the cover,fit in a different faucet,and build something to cover the sink when needed,the thing is,how much of a purist am i???i love to keep things original...thanks.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:46 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
its already been repaired,and now has putty everywhere,all is loose and leaks straight into the sink....i have to carefully push it down from the bottom when traveling...a shame ..thanks M
Old 07-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by la nomade View Post
its a cheap version of a dometic...it only has automatic refrigerator temperature control....will have to replace it when i get home..thanks..M
I think it will still have the little thermistor clipped to the cooling fins (or worse, dangling free on the wire which will really make it freeze up.) Even though it doesn't have a knob to select the cooling, it has to have a sensor for the factory-set thermostat.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Re: the refrigerator: There may be a thermistor clipped to the cooling fins that you can move to adjust the temperature it maintains. Here's a video about it.

thank you for this very useful,informative video...mine does not have a thermistor,just that little white wire ..will try and find the temp.regulating gadget to wire to it...my fridge was not what it should be..missing shelves...etc...on the road it kept freezing things,and or defrost and flood the floor....will deal with it all when i get home in N.Y....i am still in nova scotia...best M.V.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:36 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
folding faucet

i contacted sales@panther-rvproducts.com and ordered a new faucet,hopefully this replacement will fit..AC542...the sink is VA7306...all this in case one of you has the same problem...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2050.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	521.6 KB
ID:	247629